What age were you when you first attended Ibrox

topgoalie

So bears what was your first game at Ibrox,and what made you become a bear?

The first game i went to at Ibrox was a league game against Ayt United in 1976,it was a massive thing for a boy like myself from Stenhousemuir,my mates at high school and i went along and as a 14 year old it was just magical.My family were and are all football people but tbh although all Rangers men,they never really went,my father was a Falkirk bairn,but was at the cup final when DJ scored as a 16 year old.It just progressed from there for me and i have went ever since,apart from would you believe we were winning the 9-in-a-row,because of other footballing commitments??????????????????

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. On my grandad's shoulders, back in the day when everybody wore bunnets.

Briiliant,i will always remember climbing all they stairs then,just to see the size of the place,big difference from sneaking over the wall to watch the Warriors [stenhousemuir fc for all of you that have never heard of this MASSIVE team]......

Briiliant,i will always remember climbing all they stairs then,just to see the size of the place,big difference from sneaking over the wall to watch the Warriors [stenhousemuir fc for all of you that have never heard of this MASSIVE team]......

Can you still sneak over the wall?

- Planning for next season already ;)

Can you still sneak over the wall?

- Planning for next season already ;)

Give you three reasons why it is near impossible,one i have put far too much weight on,two..would ..look pretty ridiculous trying to scramble over at my age,and most importently they have obscured all avenues,cnuts...............

Give you three reasons why it is near impossible,one i have put far too much weight on,two..would ..look pretty ridiculous trying to scramble over at my age,and most importently they have obscured all avenues,cnuts...............

By you, I actually meant me ;)

But hey, I'll give you a punty up if you need it (tu)

Dont know, just kind of happened from about 6 or 7, when I went with my dad and uncle. Was going to game with mates from about 11-12. Was 13 before I went to first celllic game, the 73 cup final.

Remember many a lift over the turnstile in those very early days, then as a young teenagers the occasional "double shuffle" through the turnstile where two got in for the price of one plus a back-hander to the turnstile operator.

Two best games as a youngster were the 73 cup final and the 72 semi-final v Bayern Munich. Atmosphere in those has never been matched.

I was there to see the other Stein (Colin) end their hopes of 10 in a row.Happy day. :21:

Great to see him doing the draw yesterday at half time although I wish they would take a few moments to have a chat with them ... they all have so many great memories to pass on about our great club :pipe:

Dont know, just kind of happened from about 6 or 7, when I went with my dad and uncle. Was going to game with mates from about 11-12. Was 13 before I went to first celllic game, the 73 cup final.

Remember many a lift over the turnstile in those very early days, then as a young teenagers the occasional "double shuffle" through the turnstile where two got in for the price of one plus a back-hander to the turnstile operator.

Two best games as a youngster were the 73 cup final and the 72 semi-final v Bayern Munich. Atmosphere in those has never been matched.

Never at they games Tannerall but for some reason i think that Rangers seemed to beat ALL of the best in Europe in these bygone days and with little to show for it,remember my old man saying that Rangers regularly beat the best and with little to show for it in Europe,said that sellik fc had it far easier for some reason???

Never at they games Tannerall but for some reason i think that Rangers seemed to beat ALL of the best in Europe in these bygone days and with little to show for it,remember my old man saying that Rangers regularly beat the best and with little to show for it in Europe,said that sellik fc had it far easier for some reason???

Always thought it strange how the only decent team they played in 67 was Inter Milan in the final <cr>

I don't remember not going to Ibrox. My dad started it off by taking me to the pre season trial matches. I must have been three at the most and would spend the entire match sitting on his shoulders. This would be late fifties. I was hooked by the sounds, the songs, the smell of pies, Bovril and freshly mown grass, and of course by watching the Gers.

I was 11... and it was the tour of Ibrox that my Dad took me along to.

Got my picture taken with the legends that are Colin West and Phil Boersma!

Did a lot better with my autograph book though when at the next game against Hearts... got Super Ally, Derek Johnstone, Shuggie Burns, Angus McPherson, Dougie Bell, Nicky Walker... and the best of all: Davie Cooper!

I don't remember not going to Ibrox. My dad started it off by taking me to the pre season trial matches. I must have been three at the most and would spend the entire match sitting on his shoulders. This would be late fifties. I was hooked by the sounds, the songs, the smell of pies, Bovril and freshly mown grass, and of course by watching the Gers.

I think there is a generation of kids now who have to go to football to learn to love these things too because it's just so easy in 2013 to watch the EPL and La Liga without ever having to leave your own fireside.

Who knows in the fullness of time this season of affordable prices may actually be the best thing that has ever happened to the club (tu)

Five, back in the day when 'gimee a lift mister' was a common phrase at Ibrox turnstiles.

Remember scrambling over the wall,fckn barbed wire and all,then trying to escape the auld cnut at the end of the Warriors club [stenhousemuir fc remember],then running the gauntlet to somewhere you didnt want to be in the first place <cr>

My first game at Ibrox was a game between Rangers and a Belgian team, I think it might have been Club Brugge, but not 100% sure. It was in a friendly though. All I can remember is an Albertz shot coming straight towards us, and almost paralysed by fear that it would hit me :lol:

As for what made me a bear. My dad, and grandad - who is no longer with us -, and pretty much the rest of my family, were/are all massive Rangers fans. My old man hasn't been in the best of health recently, but when he's out hospital, and back on his feet, we'll both hopefully be back at Ibrox.