Celik in today's paper.

No.12

MERVAN CELIK is one of the forgotten men in the financial crisis that enveloped Rangers.

In fact, the Swedish winger is more remembered for his name and being the first person to walk away from the stricken club – than for anything he did on the pitch during his ill-fated two-month stay at Ibrox.

Along with Gregg Wylde, Celik opted to jump ship when it emerged Gers had plunged into administration a year ago.

But, for the first time since leaving Glasgow, the 22-year-old has revealed how he acted on a gut feeling and felt he had to quit in order to save his career.

Celik – who had more than two years left on his Rangers contract – told Record Sport: “Myself and Gregg were the first to leave. For me, I had to act on my instincts. I had a feeling I had to leave.

“In my head, I wanted to stay but my heart was telling me to go, for the sake of my future.

“I had a bad feeling about what was going to happen at Rangers and people were saying there might not be a club in the future.

“No one knew exactly how bad the situation was and it was very worrying.”

Ally McCoist signed Celik, a Swedish Under-21 star, from GAIS in January 2012 but he only featured in five games. After returning to GAIS for a brief spell after Rangers, Celik is now starring in Italy for Serie A side Pescara.

And Celik said: “I still look out for the Rangers results as I enjoyed life in Glasgow and was happy at the club.

“I only have good things to say about them. McCoist was very good to me and is an excellent coach.

“I’m doing well in Italy now and enjoy playing for Pescara but maybe one day, I might be back to play for Rangers. Why not?”

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Up there with the worst all time signing we have ever had , no chance he will be anywhere near us again .

Hardly.

He came at little cost and was only here a month or 2.

His season had finished in Sweden and was in pre season mode, some people expected him to be an instant hit for some reason...

His showings in Italy prove he is a good player.

Hardly.

He came at little cost and was only here a month or 2.

His season had finished in Sweden and was in pre season mode, some people expected him to be an instant hit for some reason...

His showings in Italy prove he is a good player.

He was rank rotten anytime he got on the park and has been a sub most of the time in Italy .......

He was rank rotten anytime he got on the park and has been a sub most of the time in Italy .......

He was only here for 2 months and came half way through a season when his season had already finished.

If you cant grasp the concept of pre season mode then fair enough.

Never ceases to amaze me how some on here rate donkeys like this guy ...............

You are rating a player on 5 games for a club he joined half way through a season in which his own season had already ended.

Can you not see how daft that is?

But aye he must be shite, that's how he aint got a good club in Italy...

You are rating a player on 5 games for a club he joined half way through a season in which his own season had already ended.

Can you not see how daft that is?

But aye he must be shite, that's how he aint got a good club in Italy...

Is a sub for a very average Italian club and i never needed to see him 5 times to know he was a donkey .

Lets see how long he lasts at this good club in Italy ..........

Is a sub for a very average Italian club and i never needed to see him 5 times to know he was a donkey .

Lets see how long he lasts at this good club in Italy ..........

:lol:

He plays in Seria A.

11 games and 3 goals for them.

A donkey?

Are you a spoof account?

Didn't see enough of him to have a real opinion. Showed flashes of being a good player though. Can't blame the guy for leaving..unlike the others. Still amazes me how many foreigners talk so highly of us... (tu) It shouldn't.. but it does.