Green Warns Authorities Not To Set Precedent

StornowayBlue

Rangers’ supremo Charles Green has urged Scottish football chiefs to think long and hard before slapping any other clubs with the severe penalties and sanctions imposed on the Glasgow giants last year, writes Eric Mackinnon

The Ibrox side were dumped in the Third Division after slipping into administration a year ago but Green has warned that a precedent for any other clubs who follow the Gers into financial strife could have far worse consequences.

Talking exclusively to the Gazette he said “I think that’d be a disaster. Rangers are huge and could weather that storm but I don’t know if there are any other clubs in Scotland who, if they were faced with the same challenge, could recover. It’d be very, very wrong and foolish to think they have to do the same to other clubs that they did to Rangers.

“ I would definitely not want this to be a precedent for any other misdemeanours and of course there will be as there is no chance in the world we won’t see other Scottish clubs fall foul of the financial difficulties.

With league reconstruction the hot topic on the lips of Scottish football Green took the time to urge authorities to take their time when making any decisions.

“Reconstruction is the real key now but for all of Scottish football and not just for Rangers . The powers that be must get it right this time and we can’t keep messing. Whatever we do has to be well thought out. I don’t think from my discussions that whether the configuration is 12-12-18 or 18-12-12 or even 14-14-14, I think there are pros and cons for all proposals.

“However the concern for most people is that it isn’t rushed through and we don’t have a situation where we change in haste and then repent in leisure because there are lots of things that need to be done.

“We need to get rules right, corporate structure and governance right. Who is going to administer this business, sponsors, broadcasters. There are lots of questions and not about who is in each division.

“ I firmly believe that’s a secondary question as the primaryis all about structure and governance as that needs to be in a way where its transparent and all the fans and all the executives can understand what the body is and what format they are playing in.”

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the most important issue for Scottish Football is NOT league reconstruction. I think it's finding ways to produce the talent and standard of footballer we used to produce. Will we ever see another Law, Baxter or Souness? And if we did, how much would a premiership club pay for him? Now that would raise real revenue!

He's totally correct, did we think it was right when it happened to us? So why would it be right for anyone else? Like someone has already said, our situation should be used as a "how not to" guide.

Agreed - two wrongs don't make a right. Its just pretty shitty it was US they decided to fuck over in the process.

99% of clubs wouldn't survive what we went through. If all we're interested in is seeing clubs go out of existence then treat them the same. But, unless we can secure a route out of the Scottish leagues it will harm us aswell indirectly.

They were wrong to treat us they way did, but if they didn't 'learn' and change the way they handle future situations like that then I'd be even more concerned, with the state of Scottish footballs governing bodies, than I am already.

I want the same punishment across the board i strongly disagree with Green here.

I think he is trying to be the better person by coming out saying this publicly, but would want clubs to face the same punishment as us, and has he inside info on some other clubs going under.

99% of clubs wouldn't survive what we went through. If all we're interested in is seeing clubs go out of existence then treat them the same. But, unless we can secure a route out of the Scottish leagues it will harm us aswell indirectly.

They were wrong to treat us they way did, but if they didn't 'learn' and change the way they handle future situations like that then I'd be even more concerned, with the state of Scottish footballs governing bodies, than I am already.

Can't agree - treat everyone the same

Half a dozen less clubs in Scotland wouldn't be a bad thing

Can't agree - treat everyone the same

Half a dozen less clubs in Scotland wouldn't be a bad thing

That's a positive opinion on the state of Scottish football. I think there'd be a few more than half a dozen in trouble.

I see your point about needing less clubs. But clubs being forced out of business by these types of punitive measures will only harm Scottish football and while we remain a member, us aswell.

Charles aint daft, if rangers are in a strong league system, then it's good business.

It would be nice to be in a really competitive league with 3-4 sides going for the title and c.l places. Competition will breed money which in turn means success.

My opinion is if we can generate massive investment in rangers then the sfa and SPL are extremely foolish and naive not to ask our board for advice

Green is playing the diplomat here and there is absolutely no way do I agree with his sentiments.

Everyone else was quick enough to give out the medicine - we have taken it and are getting stronger by the month - they feckers also have to take the same medicine if they find themselves in the same situation.

No sympathies here!