Scottish Football Is A Joke - Adrian Durham

Blue-Nosed-Biker

Good to see someone south of the border taking the same view us:

The Scottish Premier League is ridiculous.

Celtic are 21 points clear and they could win the title in a fortnight. The second best team in Scotland are currently 22 points clear in the Third Division.

Last summer the bloodthirsty desire to punish Rangers resulted in the death of Scottish football as sustainable worthy entertainment.

The Rangers-haters got what they wanted, and ended up with a joke league. Good work.

There’s a cryptic message for devolution lovers in there somewhere.

Below Celtic, four points separate eight teams. It would be a decent league worth watching if you took Celtic out of it, which is surely the only sensible solution.

The 5-0 thrashing of bottom club Dundee at the weekend was a training exercise and Celtic Park was nowhere near full. And why would fans pay to watch their team train?

Celtic have scored 53 more goals than Dundee already this season. It was an embarrassing mis-match.

We’re seeing the net result of this in Europe as well. Yes the crowd, the spirit and the whole atmosphere at Celtic when a juggernaut of world football like Barcelona arrive in town can carry Celtic through the odd night or two. But that can only take you so far. And Neil Lennon’s side were subsequently swept aside by Juventus.

The conclusion is this: the SPL is a joke, and it needs sorting out before the passion of the fans is diluted by the meaningless football north of the border.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2284663/ADRIAN-DURHAM-COLUMN-Scottish-football-joke--Spurs-Bale-tactics-hardly-second-coming-Rinus-Michels-theyre-effective--Why-Sunderland-Premier-League-padding.html

I think the whole of football is fucked with fans being incresingly bitter towards one another in the light of paying so much for over-paid footbalers.

5Live started a discussion tis morning about how to improve facilities for poorer clubs. Bored me stupid as they're still trying to find a solution to greed, not quality.

As football fans, we certainly pay to much for the product on show to the extent we blow someone that does their job out of all proportion to what they've actually done for anyone but themselves. Yes, we're happy to see our teams score goals, but are we happy to pay so much to whatch them doing it?

I reckon the game has become too rich, but the quality at grass roots level has not kept up. it's far too top heavy, which makes it unsustanable in the long run IMO.

Not disagreeing, but has Durham looked at every major league in Europe?

Bayern 17 points clear; Man Utd 12 points clear; Barca about a billion points clear

Classic trolling from Durham

Yep, you're right, but my focus was on his take on how we were treated:

" Last summer the bloodthirsty desire to punish Rangers resulted in the death of Scottish football as sustainable worthy entertainment.

The Rangers-haters got what they wanted, and ended up with a joke league. Good work. "

Bayern 17 points clear; Man Utd 12 points clear; Barca about a billion points clear

That's true but these leagues from the outset weren't a forgone conclusion.

And next season any of these teams could face a much stiffer challenge from competing teams.

The next 3-4 years of Scottish football is a total write off.

No one would have predicted United being 12 points clear at this stage so its hardly comparable. Everyone knew that Celtic would win the SPL with plenty to spare once they had removed the only credible opposition. Even with the points difference in the EPL, Bundesliga and La liga the entertainment value is much higher and teams only play each other twice a season. Scottish football is in decline and only a radical change will halt the slide.

Unfortunately those at the top of the Scottish game only have their own self interest and self-agrandissement on their minds rather than the long term good of the game.

Yep, you're right, but my focus was on his take on how we were treated:

" Last summer the bloodthirsty desire to punish Rangers resulted in the death of Scottish football as sustainable worthy entertainment.

The Rangers-haters got what they wanted, and ended up with a joke league. Good work. "

Indeed (tu) certainly not wrong in that respect

Good to see someone south of the border taking the same view us:

The Scottish Premier League is ridiculous.

Celtic are 21 points clear and they could win the title in a fortnight. The second best team in Scotland are currently 22 points clear in the Third Division.

Last summer the bloodthirsty desire to punish Rangers resulted in the death of Scottish football as sustainable worthy entertainment.

The Rangers-haters got what they wanted, and ended up with a joke league. Good work.

There’s a cryptic message for devolution lovers in there somewhere.

Below Celtic, four points separate eight teams. It would be a decent league worth watching if you took Celtic out of it, which is surely the only sensible solution.

The 5-0 thrashing of bottom club Dundee at the weekend was a training exercise and Celtic Park was nowhere near full. And why would fans pay to watch their team train?

Celtic have scored 53 more goals than Dundee already this season. It was an embarrassing mis-match.

We’re seeing the net result of this in Europe as well. Yes the crowd, the spirit and the whole atmosphere at Celtic when a juggernaut of world football like Barcelona arrive in town can carry Celtic through the odd night or two. But that can only take you so far. And Neil Lennon’s side were subsequently swept aside by Juventus.

The conclusion is this: the SPL is a joke, and it needs sorting out before the passion of the fans is diluted by the meaningless football north of the border.

Source: http://www.dailymail...ue-padding.html

Spot on can't argue with that.

Oh he's a troll of that there's no doubt but he's correct in this instance I feel.

If he didn't stir things up he wouldn't have a talk show. He can hardly go on about Peterborough United all night (well he could if you mention Barry Fry! :ph34r:) people would switch off in droves. He's hardly telling us something we didn't know already, although I think he wants Rangers fans to call in after his 'second best in Scotland' comment.

If my memory serves me well I think he's been quite supportive of Rangers in general and although I really can't abide the man I will give him a modicum of credit for that.

To be fair if you listen to his show every night he always says something to get reaction from fans. Goughie his co host goes with the complete opposite so sometimes I reckon its a script more than anything.

Unquestionably. That's what it takes to get folk calling in though. It's not subtle but it appears to be fairly effective

True but the difference is the other teams behind them, if you take the English, German and Italian leagues you could take the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th maybe even more who have decent teams worth watching and could do something in seasons to come, if you take the Scottish league Celtic are going to win it every year and only lose out on trebles if they field a weaker team or just have a bad day.

Wouldn't one way to make things more compeditive be a handicap system based on wealth? rich clubs get richer. or why can't they just put a limit on spending, players wages etc, have some sort of level playing field?

While I enjoy the success that we enjoy being one of the wealthier clubs with a huge fanbase, it just means that when we're back at the top it's a two horse race again, same old, same old.