Why do people call us the "light blues"?

GOAT

I understand for the first 30 or so years our strips were light blue, we even had light blue and white HOOPS (aye, we're the original hoops) for a period. But for the overall majority of our history we wear ROYAL Blue so why do they not call us the Royal Blues?

I know am being picky, i've just always wondered though.

A wee bit googling turns up a claim that after a Scottish Cup tie with Vale of Leven in 1877, the Glasgow News used the light and speedy blues line. This is apparently in the Gallant Pioneers book too.

It is. Its mentioned that vale were bigger and wore very dark blue strips and resembled the rowing team of Oxford. Rangers were smaller, wore a lighter strip and resembled the "light blues of Cambridge".

Again rowing connotations.

Although I'm just a tim so what would I know :rolleyes:

this is the first time I've posted on here for months, probably, but I've still been reading the site and you are a fucking out and out TIM/FENIAN/TARRIER BASTARD? call yourself what you will so get to fuck off here and back onto your own vermin ridden site, YOU are the reason I stopped posting on here you fucking RHAT BASTARD!

Its KILLING you today and this week!

this is the first time I've posted on here for months, probably, but I've still been reading the site and you are a fucking out and out TIM/FENIAN/TARRIER BASTARD? call yourself what you will so get to fuck off here and back onto your own vermin ridden site, YOU are the reason I stopped posting on here you fucking RHAT BASTARD!

Just say what you think mate. Dont hold back. :)

It is. Its mentioned that vale were bigger and wore very dark blue strips and resembled the rowing team of Oxford. Rangers were smaller, wore a lighter strip and resembled the "light blues of Cambridge".

Again rowing connotations.

Cambridge connection, never knew that, excellent!

Theres one of us who is angry today, and one of us who is quite happy.

I'll let you decide which is which.

Yes both are mentioned, and from the same match you mentioned earlier, but there is no definate link as to what one gave us the nickname.

I'd never seen the second one before. I quite like both of them. I'm sure Dunfermline have a similar story to the first one with their 'Pars' nick name but I cant remember what it is.

Corkinator eh?

Cork is a place in Ireland...

:shifty: