New Players - please buy young players 25 or younger

nvager

If we get new players I hope we buy young players and no one over 25. Then we can sell them at a profit if we do not keep them.

I would have our scouts look through all the young players in Divs 1 through 3. There must be some good cheap talent there. Especially defenders.

If they have been successful with their own (probably part time) teams, then we should seriously think of bringing them to Ibrox.

In that way we can get bargains and keep our wages in check.

The scouts should also look at places like the Caribbean/Mexico/Africa and Eastern Europe for such talent.

Their was a team from Romania who were practically unknown who beat us by 4-1 I think a few seasons ago at Ibrox in the CL? Their budget was a fraction of ours too.

Just do not know what our scouting system is like - maybe it needs to be improved.

I agree we should be scouting the lower leagues in Scotland and England but I don't think we will.

We don't even know what league we will be in next season.

What is there to stop us? It is the logical and most cost effective thing to do.

If we get new players I hope we buy young players and no one over 25. Then we can sell them at a profit if we do not keep them.

I would have our scouts look through all the young players in Divs 1 through 3. There must be some good cheap talent there. Especially defenders.

If they have been successful with their own (probably part time) teams, then we should seriously think of bringing them to Ibrox.

The scouts should also look at places like the Caribbean/Mexico/Africa and Eastern Europe for such talent.

Their was a team from Romania who were practically unknown who beat us by 4-1 I think a few seasons ago at Ibrox in the CL? Their budget was a fraction of ours too.

Just do not know what our scouting system is like - maybe it needs to be improved.

I agree with you that we need to vastly improve our scouting network both in the uk and worldwide....it seems crazy a club our size has no proper scouting structure in place at the moment....bad example with unirea though mate seeing as how they don't exist anymore partly due to overspending on wages...

I agree with you that we need to vastly improve our scouting network both in the uk and worldwide....it seems crazy a club our size has no proper scouting structure in place at the moment....bad example with unirea though mate seeing as how they don't exist anymore partly due to overspending on wages...

Had no idea about Unirea. At the time the papers were saying that they had a very low budget for players wages - a fraction of ours. Maybe their support was also only a fraction of ours and their CL campaign led them to overspend?

Nevertheless surely CG must see that we limit our possibilities tremendously if we have no scouting networks. Even at worst could we not compile videos of lower division games in Scotland and England and review them as a start? Seems to me there are shortcuts we can take in the meantime before we have an established scouting network in place. We could even ask members of accredited supporter clubs to email in names of prospective players. I am sure there would be a great response to that.

There must be something wrong with our scouting techniques if we keep buying 30+ year olds.

Who is exactly responsible for this state of affairs?

I'd have thought CG would have had some input into how this should operate, no?

He is after all, heid bummer.

Ideally the majority of players we target should be younger but if a player is right for us then I don't think their age should matter that much. If we build a young team it's going to be important to have some experience in that team too.

I think we are crying out for a centre half with enough experience under his belt to lead and organise our defence and you are very unlikely to find somebody with that experience who is under 25.

I also think Margaro Gomis would be a fantastic addition to our midfield because he would be a good foil for MacLeod and he is a more energetic player than either Black or Hutton but should the fact he is 27 rule him out?

We need to sort the scouting system out though. I agree with that.

Ideally the majority of players we target should be younger but if a player is right for us then I don't think their age should matter that much. If we build a young team it's going to be important to have some experience in that team too.

I think we are crying out for a centre half with enough experience under his belt to lead and organise our defence and you are very unlikely to find somebody with that experience who is under 25.

I also think Margaro Gomis would be a fantastic addition to our midfield because he would be a good foil for MacLeod and he is a more energetic player than either Black or Hutton but should the fact he is 27 rule him out?

In general I would stick to the 25 or under premise, but I agree that there may be one or two others a bit older who are very good and we should take.

I honestly don't think people understand that players under 25 are the ones that cost a disproportionate amount of money. It's all fair and well saying "there'll be talent in xyz" but do you guys not understand that the vast majority of the "real talent" have already gone somewhere that we won't be willing to pay the money for?

Good principle in theory, however in recent years one of our best signings to my mind was one David Weir.

Agreed and the under 25 rule would/shouldf be a rule of thumb, but of course there would be exceptions for a/few talented older players.

Definitely worth pursuing this concept, I would like a couple of old heads next year (say inexpensive but proven from 1st div) and then attempt to build a young team that we can trim from every year at profit then reinvest.

Definitely worth pursuing this concept, I would like a couple of old heads next year (say inexpensive but proven from 1st div) and then attempt to build a young team that we can trim from every year at profit then reinvest.

My thoughts entirely.

A look round the Academies at EPL clubs may be an idea. There are always a number of players released and I'm sure some would jump at the chance to develop their careers at Rangers. I also watched a bit of Crusaders v Linfield and still can't understand why we released Josh Robinson he looked more than competent at centre back. I'm guessing it was financial but I would certainly be having a look at him again.

The lists of players being released will start coming out shortly from the English leagues I hope we look closely at them they may provide some decent talent and long term rewards.

I agree with that. There is no point excluding a potentially good player for us based on age alone. We picked up Davey Weir for nothing at the end of his career. We might not have got a sell-on fee for him but he seemed to make it easy for anyone who played beside him and raised their value, helping us to get £8m for Cuellar, £3m for Boogy and over £2m for Wilson!

It was Maribor I was thinking of, they had revenues about a tenth of what we were on in the SPL when they put us out! I don't know what their youth policy was but they obviously knew how to spend money better.

What do people think is a good ratio of older and young players in a team? I wouldn't go above five under 25s myself.