My response to Vanguard and others regarding Ally McCoist

Muirheadbear

I am proud to state that I am both Presbyterian and a Loyalist. Both these titles carry many attributes amongst them is faith and virtue.

In our darkest hours last year Ally McCoist virtually single handedly carried this stricken club on his shoulders. As supporters we all leaned on Ally for hope and assurance - something he provided regularly and in abundance last Summer.

Not like any other manager in the UK at that time was Ally busily building a squad - no , Ally was attending meetings with administrators and lawyers with the simple but critical remit of keeping our club afloat. He then had 8 days before a transfer embargo to bolster a squad of less than 10 players. Can you believe that? Yes it's true. And in all truth basically pulled in anyone who happens to be available. In truth, mostly players no other club wanted! Never mind pre season training! No, that's for others to worry about. Just get on with it. And on with it he did.

Now after last Saturday the critics are circling (and the rhats must be hoping) with the intent of forcing Ally out. Thanks for the 355 goals. Thanks for the 27 old firm goals and two hat tricks in cup finals against the rhats. Thanks for winning the golden boot twice. And perhaps most pointedly thanks for hanging in there when it got tough.

You see the last point is the most telling. I was at Ibrox to witness the most appalling act I ever witnessed the Rangers support ever dish out on a player. It was a Scottish Cup clash with Dundee in early 1985 and Ally had a nightmare. During the second half thousands (and thousands is no exaggerating!) decided to sing ( with great gusto) Ally, Ally get to f..k! Some younger bears may find this unbelievable and simply not true. However, the older bears on this forum know otherwise. It happened alright. And it was only 10 months after his hattrick won us the league cup against sellick!

What was Ally's response? Well thank God it wasn't what they 'loyal bears' asked for. Ally responded by going on record breaking goal scoring spree. He could have left. He had offers, not great ones admittedly, but he should loyalty and virtue in face of the perhaps the greatest adversity any Rangers player received from their own support.

Furthermore, we all know Ally is one of us. Rangers then, Rangers now and Rangers forever. His loyalty is under no doubt. He is Rangers through and through. He knows better than anyone what are the standards. He has risen to them on countless occasions. He will know if he is no longer up to the task. And in the final analysis he should be allowed this luxury if nothing else for the service and commitment he has shown over so many years.

So Vanguard thread and all other Ally critics that's my stand on this. I state it unashamedly and without any doubts. I am a proud and lifelong Bear. I've had a season ticket for over 30 consecutive years. And I will renew next season and attend even if we are worse. And I will never round up against one of our greatest ever servants.

I repeat that Ally will know I he isn't up to it he simply deserves the chance to once more silence all the doubters just like he did back in 1985!

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What has McCoists abilities as a players, and what he did in the last year off the pitch got to do with his abilities as a manager?

If you are going to make a defence of McCoist the manager, then you should probably make reference to why you think he is a good manager.

I am proud to state that I am both Presbyterian and a Loyalist. Both these titles carry many attributes amongst them is faith and virtue.

In our darkest hours last year Ally McCoist virtually single handedly carried this stricken club on his shoulders. As supporters we all leaned on Ally for hope and assurance - something he provided regularly and in abundance last Summer.

Not like any other manager in the UK at that time was Ally busily building a squad - no , Ally was attending meetings with administrators and lawyers with the simple but critical remit of keeping our club afloat. He then had 8 days before a transfer embargo to bolster a squad of less than 10 players. Can you believe that? Yes it's true. And in all truth basically pulled in anyone who happens to be available. In truth, mostly players no other club wanted! Never mind pre season training! No, that's for others to worry about. Just get on with it. And on with it he did.

Now after last Saturday the critics are circling (and the rhats must be hoping) with the intent of forcing Ally out. Thanks for the 355 goals. Thanks for the 27 old firm goals and two hat tricks in cup finals against the rhats. Thanks for winning the golden boot twice. And perhaps most pointedly thanks for hanging in there when it got tough.

You see the last point is the most telling. I was at Ibrox to witness the most appealing act I ever witnessed the Rangers support ever dish out on a player. It was a Scottish Cup clash with Dundee in early 1985 and Ally had a nightmare. During the second half thousands (and thousands is no exaggerating!) decided to sing ( with great gusto) Ally, Ally get to f..k! Some younger bears may find this unbelievable and simply not true. However, the older bears on this forum know otherwise. It happened alright. And it was only 10 months after his hattrick won us the league cup against sellick!

What was Ally's response? Well thank God it wasn't what they 'loyal bears' asked for. Ally responded by going on record breaking goal scoring spree. He could have left. He had offers, not great ones admittedly, but he should loyalty and virtue in face of the perhaps the greatest adversity any Rangers player received from their own support.

Furthermore, we all know Ally is one of us. Rangers then, Rangers now and Rangers forever. His loyalty is under no doubt. He is Rangers through and through. He knows better than anyone what are the standards. He has risen to them on countless occasions. He will know if he is no longer up to the task. And in the final analysis he should be allowed this luxury if nothing else for the service and commitment he has shown over so many years.

So Vanguard thread and all other Ally critics that's my stand on this. I state it unashamedly and without any doubts. I am a proud and lifelong Bear. I've had a season ticket for over 30 consecutive years. And I will renew next season and attend even if we are worse. And I will never round up against one of our greatest ever servants.

I repeat that Ally will know I he isn't up to it he simply deserves the chance to once silence all the doubters just like he did back in 1985!

I am proud to state that I am neither Presbyterian nor a Loyalist. But I believe I share many of their attributes amongst them is faith and virtue.

I cant say I have had the season ticket for over 30 years - I am only on my 26th year of season ticket.

Outwith these 2 points I 100% agree with everything you say above!

In Ally I trust!

No person IMO will be allowed any luxury of time at a club like Rangers, Ally has had a near 2 years and if the football does not improve in the next month or 2 then it's obvious to me what has to happen for the good of this club.

We all love Ally but when he is gone Rangers will still be here and that's what comes first, this football club.

I'm not a fan of people calling those who think a change is needed disloyal or traitors as let's be serious here how could any Rangers fan feel anything but admiration and respect towards someone who has gave us titles, highs and took us through our worst ever days? Of course we love him and wanted him to be a success but its not turned out the way I and clearly many others had hoped. Time is not something we have to spare because we need to take steps to bridge the gap that is going to be in place when we return to the SPL. I just don't see Ally or his coaching staff as part of this.

I respect and admire the man that is Ally McCoist but just because I don't believe he is a manger does not dampen or damage my thoughts n what he means to this football club. I agree that article went to far in its wording but the sentiment rings some truths with me and I just think for us all to move forward a change is needed.

A decent stab at defending Ally to be fair MB but can we not get through a blog/elongated post without reading a catchphrase/soundbite from last summer?

The VB statment was just the same, it's gone Roy Walker crazy on here!

First line in the op says it all, this is about football not that pish.

It's now clear any fool still backing Ally as the boss is just that a fool or supports any other team other than Rangers.

Op sums up all that is bad in our support, and show just how stupid some of our fans are.

What has McCoists abilities as a players, and what he did in the last year off the pitch got to do with his abilities as a manager?

If you are going to make a defence of McCoist the manager, then you should probably make reference to why you think he is a good manager.

so apart from cobling together a squad at the last minute, romping to the 3rd division title and leading from the front despite all the cliubs tribulations including the lack of transfer windows - in your mind that no ability as a manager - sad, short sighted and wrong (IMHO)

It's now clear any fool still backing Ally as the boss is just that a fool or supports any other team other than Rangers.

Op sums up all that is bad in our support, and show just how stupid some of our fans are.

You've just called a significant chunk of the Rangers support 'fools' there.

Of course we love him and wanted him to be a success but its not turned out the way I and clearly many others had hoped.

so romping to the league win, despite his tribulations is not enough for you to allow him a further season, you don't even want to allow him time to see what he does over the summer to change and move the squad on - even if he was to make significant changes do you think that the time to do that is prior to securing the league. A manager with one hand tied behind his back and you don't have the patience to wait to see how it turns our once he is un-tied? sad!

I think people kind of forget that if he gets another season he is only getting ONE transfer window in which he can really work with. How is he going to be able to tempt players away mid season?

It's a tough one. He either gets two, with 3 full transfer windows to work with, or one season with one mid season transfer window. Or none at all. It's tough but I want to stand by him... but the performances really need to improve. I also believe the people round about him need to be improved.

Stunning put down of the majority of our support!

No-one has ever slagged Ally re his exploits as a player after a bad start, or in his handling of the situation of rthose months from Feb last year until CG came to the rescue..................the point and the only point is that to put it bluntly and perhaps once and for all people will stop going on about Ally the player, Ally the club spokesman for those few months from Feb last year .

It's about his current employment as a manager nothing more that that and I for one think is is lacking in that, I don't give a flying fuck what any rhodent or sell out Saturday fan thinks , this is the club I support and will always support, no changing of a silly thing like a Ltd Company name make me turn my back on them, but I will speak up and give an opinion as to what is glaringly wrong with my team and that my fellow bears is simply the management team do not have what it takes.

It's there fpr all to see........poor tactics, poor use of players, poor skills in building a team and dump this he was not able to buy players he did bring players in, now Ally gets credit for playing youngsters, yet another one that should be addressed he had to play simple as that, if he could have brought another Black,Shiels or Templeton in he would have and those youngsters would not have been given game time.

Div 3 of scottish football what a perfect chance to change his outlook to how football should be played.............year end result failure , we are playing a drastic style of football.

Who is responsible for this?

Ally the manger is the problem we have and his coaches for god sake why do people not see this.

so romping to the league win, despite his tribulations is not enough for you to allow him a further season, you don't even want to allow him time to see what he does over the summer to change and move the squad on - even if he was to make significant changes do you think that the time to do that is prior to securing the league. A manager with one hand tied behind his back and you don't have the patience to wait to see how it turns our once he is un-tied? sad!

It's the 3rd division for goodness sake, it would be an absolute crime not to be way out ahead given our squad and full time status.

I have witnessed 18 months of Ally's management and in that time I have came to the conclusion he isn't the man to take my club forward, I'm not alone in that view as I'm sure you can tell. You hold out hope things will change as is your right and it may well be the case however I can't say the same and its down purely to the football on show.

No person IMO will be allowed any luxury of time at a club like Rangers, Ally has had a near 2 years and if the football does not improve in the next min or 2 then it's obvious to me what has to happen for the good of this club.

We all love Ally but when he is gone Rangers will still be here and that's what comes first, this football club.

I'm not a fan of people calling those who think a change is needed disloyal or traitors as let's be serious here how could any Rangers fan feel anything but admiration and respect towards someone who has gave us titles, highs and took us through our worst ever days? Of course we love him and wanted him to be a success but its not turned out the way I and clearly many others had hoped. Time is not something we have to spare because we need to take steps to bridge the gap that is going to be in place when we return to the SPL. I just don't see Ally or his coaching staff as part of this.

I respect and admire the man that is Ally McCoist but just because I don't believe he is a manger does not dampen or damage my thoughts n what he means to this football club. I agree that article went to far in its wording but the sentiment rings some truths with me and I just think for us all to move forward a change is needed.

100% in agreement

MB good post in regards to sentiments to Ally as a man and as a player and for what he has done for his/our club no denying it, i back your judgement to the hilt....

Ally will be manager next season and he has my support but it wont stop the debates, i travel 330 mile to games and it costs me a few quid i do it for the love of my club i have supported Rangers 35 years since first game... my oppinion looking at where we are going with 6 games left doesn't fill me with confidence and this is not his first season in charge.....i don't see anything in Ally's Managerial credentials to convince me i hope he proves me wrong.

No, no, no, YOU sum up what is bad in our support. Negative arsehole.

It's the 3rd division for goodness sake, it would be an absolute crime not to be way out ahead given our squad and full time status.

I have witnessed 18 months of Ally's management and in that time I have came to the conclusion he isn't the man to take my club forward, I'm not alone in that view as I'm sure you can tell. You hold out hope things will change as is your right and it may well be the case however I can't say the same and its down purely to the football on show.

He may not be the man to take YOUR club forward but he is the man to take MY club forward. I also am not alone in my view taht he has done more than enough to warrant at least next season. Given what he has done do you really begrudge him another season ?