Murray Park

Many have campaigned for a change of name for Murray Park.

It's understandable that we feel Sir David Murray let us down and sold the club we love to a shyster-crook.

Who knows what pressure was put to bear on him but hopefully all will be revealed in time.

I strongly believe that the name should remain and i'll give my reasons.

There are four main reasons I believe his legacy should be remembered and the 1st is his then,radical signing policy that saw us field six of the England team at that time and bring a greater world-wide profile and audience to Scottish football by his actions.

Sir David Murray raised the bar in terms of Scottish football and it's interest abroad.

One could almost say he saw what was coming in terms of big money teams in Europe who would dominate and, he tried to get in on the ground floor.

Unfortunately Sky left us out in the cold,but he was right in his prediction.

As we all know we were one of the eight first Champions League participants and one of the teams represented by the eight stars on the Champions League football logo.

That legacy will never be undone and we can all point to that logo and proudly say that one of those stars represents Rangers.

I was priviliged to see Gazza and Laudrup at Ibrox on many occassions and it would take too long to list the names of the many great and talented players who wore the Rangers jersey under Sir David Murray's time.

It goes without saying that we would never have achieved 9-in-a-row without him nor would we have gotten within 1 goal of the Champions League Final,nor would we have had so many terrific and happy memories of the talented players he brought to our club.

For bringing us the joy of watching Gazza and Laudrup together in a Rangers team,if nothing else, the man deserves that small recognition of his efforts and for the players he brought to Rangers.

It's understandable that we feel Sir David Murray let us down and sold the club we love to a shyster-crook.

Who knows what pressure was put to bear on him but hopefully all will be revealed in time.

There are four main reasons I believe his legacy should be remembered and the 1st is his then,radical signing policy that saw us field six of the England team at that time and bring a greater world-wide profile and audience to Scottish football by his actions.

Sir David Murray raised the bar in terms of Scottish football and it's interest abroad.

One could almost say he saw what was coming in terms of big money teams in Europe who would dominate and, he tried to get in on the ground floor.

As we all know we were one of the eight first Champions League participants and one of the teams represented by the eight stars on the Champions League football logo.

That legacy will never be undone and we can all point to that logo and proudly say that one of those stars represents Rangers.

I was priviliged to see Gazza and Laudrup at Ibrox on many occassions and it would take too long to list the names of the many great and talented players who wore the Rangers jersey under Sir David Murray's time.

It goes without saying that we would never have achieved 9-in-a-row without him nor would we have gotten within 1 goal of the Champions League Final,nor would we have had so many terrific and happy memories of the talented players he brought to our club.

For bringing us the joy of watching Gazza and Laudrup together in a Rangers team,if nothing else, the man deserves that small recognition of his efforts and for the players he brought to Rangers.

I see where you're going but this was an earlier era. It was Dick Advocaat that pressured Murray into doing this. I agree Murray at the time was so keen on European glory he overspent but that was nothing to do with youth. That was Advocaats philosophy, not Murrays.

Was that not David Holmes? (The bit in bold)

And who is to say that we wouldn't have achieved 9 in a row?

Many people seem to forget that Rangers were VERY much a club on the up when David Murray came to the show.

Advocat was the driving force behind Murray Park being built but ultimately it was still David Murray's decision to spend the money or not.

Arguing about youth,who did what or when misses the point that Murray gave Rangers one of the best training facilities in Europe at the time and I just think that he deserves that small legacy of it retaining his name.

I don't see it as an honour to him but as an honour to the team and players that brought us 9-in-a-row as it's commonly known as the 'Murray Era'.

To change it seems petty and small-minded to me.

I would probably just leave the Murray Park name.

Murray was good for Gers in first 10 years or so and bad (financially / dignified silence) for Gers in next 10 years though we did win leagues etc.

I understand the point that he may have been under severe pressure from the bank, but selling to Whyte is unforgiveable.

Murray should have had a bit of humility at the time and called the facility something different.

Seems a pretty egotistical thing to do, to name something after yourself.

Although it may not have been Murray personally who chose the name he should have taken a step back.

In light of everything we now know I thought attitudes towards Murray would have softened over time....yes he made mistakes but he also gave us such a fantastic period in our history and although he must take a degree of responsibility there were certainly alot of outside and mitigating factors that led to those mistakes....

To me it will always be Murray park and maybe as more is revealed about what really happened the roles of HMRC, lyodds and the SFA will further exonerate Murray!

In light of everything we now know I thought attitudes towards Murray would have softened over time....yes he made mistakes but he also gave us such a fantastic period in our history and although he must take a degree of responsibility there were certainly alot of outside and mitigating factors that led to those mistakes....

To me it will always be Murray park and maybe as more is revealed about what really happened the roles of HMRC, lyodds and the SFA will further exonerate Murray!

Murray is an egotistical arse, a couple of tribunal decisions doesn't change that.

I was a huge Murray fan and a staunch defender of his BUT selling to Whyte in the way he did, knowing what he did, going against his own advisory board, unforgivable to me.

I would be happy if it was no longer Murray Park but auchenhowie hardly trips of the tounge either so in some ways I would hold we could get money to rebrand it. Problem is its in the psychie as Murray Park so thats what it will probably always be in my head.

That arsehole played fast and loose with Rangers involving a great football club and institution in tax a avoidance scheme and running up huge debts to massage his own ego, remember the "the jewel in my crown" line. There are so many great figures in Rangers history but in my opinion he is certainly not one of them.

Murray overseen the biggest boom in the history of the club, he also triggered the biggest fall in the history of the club. And I'm afraid for me that cancels it out.

I can understand people remaining a bit loyal to Murray, as his era gave some stunning football memories. However, we also have to remember there's a criminal investigation into his selling of the club still ongoing. The police have said they believe a crime has taken place. If Murray has been involved, I get the feeling there could be very few left defending him.

It's understandable that we feel Sir David Murray let us down...

Understatement of the century. His actions led to our humiliation. Even in the 'good times', he failed, ultimately, to deliver.

That's the thing about Murray Park. It was supposed to be selected because the fans chose it. I never got asked far less actually knowing anything about it! It smacks of Murray's ego at that point and for that reason alone I would like the name changed.

THE GARELOCH FOOTBALL CENTRE,