Green : I'd sack Lionel Messi if he made same comments as Sandaza

Charles Green insists he would sack Lionel Messi if the Barcelona superstar made remarks similar to those which saw Francisco Sandaza sacked by Rangers.

Spanish striker Sandaza had his contract terminated last week for comments made in a phone call with a Glasgow-based prankster who claimed to be a football agent who could get him a move to Major League Soccer.

The former St Johnstone player spoke openly of wanting a move away from Ibrox and encouraged the “agent” to contact him directly before making any approach to the club for his services, something which is against Scottish FA and FIFA regulations.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with STV, Green said: "My position is Ally McCoist last year wanted Sandaza. We signed Sandaza and everyone was happy with Sandaza.

"In fairness to the lad, he had some injuries which perhaps didn't allow him to show his best.

"Whether it was Lionel Messi... If Lionel Messi was a Rangers player and he was recorded saying 'I don't want to play for Rangers, get me a contract, I'll go and sign for another club, give it to me don't go through the club,' I'd sack Lionel Messi. Anyone, it wouldn't matter.

"If anyone denigrates this club, if anyone has no respect for the badge, if anyone doesn't want to work here, then go.

"What we are going to do is make sure this club is not being reported for the wrong reasons or players stupid enough to make those comments to someone they've never met or never spoken to and make those disparaging remarks.

"It wasn't, to my mind, the issue he's told someone he was on £4,000 a week. My salary is on the internet. It's not about telling someone 'I'm on a salary'.

"It's the comments he made that said he would happily leave this club, he didn't want to be here and he came for the money. We want people here who want to play because it's Rangers."

http://sport.stv.tv/football/220632-green-id-sack-lionel-messi-if-he-made-the-same-comments-as-fran-sandaza/

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, don't buy it.

Sandaza was practically worthless in the transfer market so getting him off the wage bill helped us financially.

Sacking a player potentially worth more than a couple of hundred grand in the transfer market wouldn't happen in this money orientated game.

Nope, don't buy it.

Sandaza was practically worthless in the transfer market so getting him off the wage bill helped us financially.

Sacking a player potentially worth more than a couple of hundred grand in the transfer market wouldn't happen in this money orientated game.

I agree mate , Richard Gough said had Sandaza scores plenty of goals had a good season he wouldn't have got sack and he's right.

Green's starting to lose his credibility.

Charles Green insists he would sack Lionel Messi if the Barcelona superstar made remarks similar to those which saw Francisco Sandaza sacked by Rangers.

Spanish striker Sandaza had his contract terminated last week for comments made in a phone call with a Glasgow-based prankster who claimed to be a football agent who could get him a move to Major League Soccer.

The former St Johnstone player spoke openly of wanting a move away from Ibrox and encouraged the “agent” to contact him directly before making any approach to the club for his services, something which is against Scottish FA and FIFA regulations.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with STV, Green said: "My position is Ally McCoist last year wanted Sandaza. We signed Sandaza and everyone was happy with Sandaza.

"In fairness to the lad, he had some injuries which perhaps didn't allow him to show his best.

"Whether it was Lionel Messi... If Lionel Messi was a Rangers player and he was recorded saying 'I don't want to play for Rangers, get me a contract, I'll go and sign for another club, give it to me don't go through the club,' I'd sack Lionel Messi. Anyone, it wouldn't matter.

"If anyone denigrates this club, if anyone has no respect for the badge, if anyone doesn't want to work here, then go.

"What we are going to do is make sure this club is not being reported for the wrong reasons or players stupid enough to make those comments to someone they've never met or never spoken to and make those disparaging remarks.

"It wasn't, to my mind, the issue he's told someone he was on £4,000 a week. My salary is on the internet. It's not about telling someone 'I'm on a salary'.

"It's the comments he made that said he would happily leave this club, he didn't want to be here and he came for the money. We want people here who want to play because it's Rangers."

http://sport.stv.tv/...s-fran-sandaza/

I Wish he would just shut up and get on quietly dealing with the job in the background , Sack messi fur nae transfer fee aye right Charlie boy , deal with the current issues of the google eyed one and stop deflecting .

Loads of folk originally condemned Green for only being here for the money, and said they'd prefer a good Rangers man.

Same ones are now condemning him for getting rid of a player who has admitted he is only here for the money.

Strangely skewed way of looking at the world methinks.

Charlie is quite right in getting rid of an openly disloyal player. How can we depend on him ?

Tommy the taxi driver did us a big favour in helping us get the twat off the wage bill.

Of course Messi would get more lee-way. At the end of the day business is business.

Sandaza gave the opportunity for the club to sack him - and it was taken - not sure if it would happen with messi - look at ballottelli and tevez at man city worse IMHO but stayed ( I know ballottelli was transferred )

The one example in Greens defence is the Mutu - Chelsea case.

Chelsea sacked him for Gross Misconduct, then did him for damages. If he could do the same, and recoup the money with Messi for his transfer value, then it's not such a stupid comment.

Mutu was caught taking Class A drugs. What use is a player who looked likely to be suspended for over a year while collecting a salary for.. what, £8m or something?

I'm glad we got shot of Sandaza but if he was 1 of the worlds best players.... you telling me we'd sack him for being the butt of a prank call offering him a more lucrative contract? C'mon... no chance.

Mutu was caught taking Class A drugs. What use is a player who looked likely to be suspended for over a year while collecting a salary for.. what, £8m or something?

I'm glad we got shot of Sandaza but if he was 1 of the worlds best players.... you telling me we'd sack him for being the butt of a prank call offering him a more lucrative contract? C'mon... no chance.

The mechanism would be the same though. Gross misconduct is gross misconduct. Does not matter legally if its for being on powder, punching another employee or talking to other clubs behind your clubs back.

If Gross Misconduct has been performed, it is judged the person can no longer be employed, therefor can become liable for damages. You can't be found to have committed gross misconduct, then allowed to continue employment.

Green cant really come out and state publicly that he only found Sandaza guilty of gross misconduct because he was a bit crap, but if he had been good, then he would have cooked it so that he was only found guilty of a lesser offence, getting a warning. Is hardly going to put him in a good position should it go to appeal.

We need loyal players at this point in our return. Thank god we found out about Sandaza early, his position and success with us would've gotten worse if he'd stayed imo. Think there's more like him in the team but don't want to point fingers.

The mechanism would be the same though. Gross misconduct is gross misconduct. Does not matter legally if its for being on powder, punching another employee or talking to other clubs behind your clubs back.

If Gross Misconduct has been performed, it is judged the person can no longer be employed, therefor can become liable for damages. You can't be found to have committed gross misconduct, then allowed to continue employment.

Green cant really come out and state publicly that he only found Sandaza guilty of gross misconduct because he was a bit crap, but if he had been good, then he would have cooked it so that he was only found guilty of a lesser offence, getting a warning. Is hardly going to put him in a good position should it go to appeal.

i agree, Green said what he had to say in this instance, but it's bullshit, you'd need to be insane to believe he'd sack someone like Messi for the same offence. If Sandaza had been performing well, a suspension and apology from the player would have sufficed and the fans would have forgave.