Old firm riot 1980

watty.

I was there with my old man in the old North stand.

I remember they bastards coming on the park after the final whistle and a few running towards our end.My undying memory is a wee Taig running past the north enclosure and a bottle flying on and just missing him then it just became bedlham..

Pretty sure it was started by a guy who was a year above me at school (yes he was a tim), we had heard he had ran from the Celtic end and kicked a ball into the goal at the Rangers end.......we then started to "Chase You All Over Hampden" :dx:

I was there 17yrs old. Can't remember the game but can remember the running battles and the shower of bottles raining down from the back of the terrace and f'king it's own support caught in the front/lower end of the terrace. This happened at both ends and caused the most damage to their own type on the terrace.

On the field it was just a running three way battle, Rangers fans, scum and cops on horses. The drink stopped after that.

I was there, watched it all from the back of Section J. One of my mates decided to go on the park to join in the proceedings but as he was going over the fence he was knocked flying by a Pomagne bottle thrown from the Rangers End. Luckily he was too drunk to feel anything.

I was at hampden that day & was on the pitch during the carnage. I didnt chuck any bottles or cans , just stood in the six yard box at the Rangers end with my mate & his brother singing the sash & shouting abuse at the mhanks.

We decided to leg it when the police charged en masse on horseback at us.

I was there, watched it all from the back of Section J. One of my mates decided to go on the park to join in the proceedings but as he was going over the fence he was knocked flying by a Pomagne bottle thrown from the Rangers End. Luckily he was too drunk to feel anything.

Backs up my version about the bottle issue.

as i remember . they scored a goal after aitken had ran the ball out and took the throw in ,gary stevens passed back to g,k but was short and they scored . the fans were not happy and when they came on with the cup they ran to our end, well; after that mayhem..

I think your about 8 years out mate.

The 1980 final was decided by a jammy George mccluskey extra time goal.

as i remember . they scored a goal after aitken had ran the ball out and took the throw in ,gary stevens passed back to g,k but was short and they scored . the fans were not happy and when they came on with the cup they ran to our end, well; after that mayhem..

Wrong game mate. That was '89 cup final I think. My recollection of the riot final was started when a mhank ran to the Rangers end into the goal, knelt down and started blessing himself. Then more followed him, then chaos.

Had left the tickets late so for one and only time was in the middle terrace, instead of Rangers end, was a rubbish game against a rubbish team, I'm sure we'd got into the habit of always winning at Hampden so it was a really bad result, was so pissed off at the result was set to leave before the cup was given, but saw the trouble so stayed and watched. I'm sure the cellic fans ran on first, up and beyond halfway line. Think a lot of bears were up for it as game had been disapointing. Watched the events unfold on the park, with the police horses, it was mayhem all over the park but no big co-ordination, mostly groups of 3-5 fans all over having a go with each other or being pushed back by horses. then went to walk home back to Ibrox. Was always quicker than waiting for busses.

Only good side was I met a few Northern Irish lads who were at the game in Glasgow for first time, on way back.They wanted directions to the rangers club. Took them to the big Rangers Club, but they would not let us in, so took them back to my house round the corner and my mum made sure they were well fed and then we got scrubbed up and went round the wee rangers club where John and Deano got on great. Bastards nearly pulled before me at closing time , but we were all too pissed to get too far and they ended up kipping at my house, and came back over a few times to stay for the cellic games.

My sister gave me a bad time for it next day, when I said it wisnae me doing it she said you had a scarf on so its as much you as them, which has always made me think over the years.

In those days trouble was kind of expected but usually on a smaller scale outside the park. Sunday Post would usually give arrests at 100 - 200 (mostlys breach of the peace or occasionally assault), with 2 or 3 hospitalised, and that was an indication of a quiet game. :unsure:

Usual routine, especially at porkheid was majority of fans of both sides would go into town down two seperate but adjacent main streets.

The "nutters" perhaps 20-50 fans from the cellic and rangers fans would be allowed meet down a side street, and once they'd knocked fuck out of each other and worn themselves out the polis would move in and nick half a dozen stragglers, who'd get charged with breach of the peace or assault, folowed by a fine. For the real tough guys, the cid van would sit round the corner and pick them off as they came round the corner. You'd see 3 or 4 police heavies come out a wee parked van and lift the ones they thought were the biggest problem, they already knew who they wanted usuallly. Other fans would just let them do it as there was a lot more respect for police then (and they were kind of on our side).

I think your about 8 years out mate.

The 1980 final was decided by a jammy George mccluskey extra time goal.

Jammy goal from a corner that never was ! I was at back of Section J and as previous poster said , it was started by tims running on pitch to celebrate. A few then came up Rangers end to rub it in. That just started a load of bears running on the park to confront them and at the same time a mass of bottles getting flung from back of terracing mostly landing on bears at front of terracing.

Pretty sure it was started by a guy who was a year above me at school (yes he was a tim), we had heard he had ran from the Celtic end and kicked a ball into the goal at the Rangers end.......we then started to "Chase You All Over Hampden" :dx:

Very true, a certain ginger haired Mr Henderson who was one of the few that supported and dared to win the means top at KP Secondary.

Took my oldest boy, we were in the North Stand when that mob invaded the pitch, before they even got to the centreline our fans charged onto the pitch and mayhem ensued. the mounted police then came out and began charging. My boy who was 7 at the time thought all this was part of the post match entertainment and kept asking me if he could come to the next match as he wanted to see the horses knocking the people over again.

I was at hampden that day & was on the pitch during the carnage. I didnt chuck any bottles or cans , just stood in the six yard box at the Rangers end with my mate & his brother singing the sash & shouting abuse at the mhanks.

We decided to leg it when the police charged en masse on horseback at us.

Remember like it was yesterday. Me and ma pals sitting in the living room pissed off and crying, maw coming down with bowls of tomato soup to console us as the unwashed came onto the park. " fuckin dirty Fenian bastards " she said, just as 2 oh so familiar figures ran past the cameras over the halfway line" there's ma da and uncle tommy" said I . " I'm gonnae kill the bastard when he gets in. Fuckin intae the bastards Robert !!!" Ha ha ha. Ma maw was a proper proddy, ma dads life wasn't worth living for the next week or so, and it took a lot of promises to let me go to the games with him again. I watch the footage when I'm feeling down, happy times when I was so proud to be the old mans son. Fuckin too few bears like him now sadly.

No Surrender

Rab