Charles Green set to block Kenny Miller

Charles Green set to block Kenny Miller's Rangers comeback

ALLY McCOIST’S hopes of bringing Kenny Miller back to Rangers look set to be killed off by Charles Green.

Express Sport can reveal that the Scotland striker’s representative has held informal discussions over the move with the Ibrox chief executive.

The news is unlikely to improve the strained relationship between Green and McCoist.

Green has made it clear he only wants to sign players who could have a future sell-on value and if they don’t then he isn’t prepared to throw big wages at them.

Miller is under contract with MLS side Vancouver Whitecaps but has stated he would be eager to return to Scotland for family reasons.

Boss McCoist is keen to bring the 33-year-old back for next season’s Second Division push but as it stands a third stint at Ibrox remains unlikely. It would require Miller to take a big wage cut to fit into Green’s strict structure of around £4,000 to £5,000 per week.

He would also have to terminate his Vancouver deal earlier so he could move to Ibrox in September when the SFA transfer embargo is lifted.

“There is no doubt I would come back,” Miller has previously claimed.

“I would definitely do it. It’s whether it could happen.

“Rangers hold a strong place in my heart.”

Miller has had two spells at Ibrox, as well as stints at Hibs, Celtic, Wolves, Derby, Bursaspor and Cardiff City.

Rangers have already verbally agreed a deal to sign Kilmarnock keeper Cammy Bell for next season.

McCoist has a string of other targets, including Andre Bikey of Middlesbrough, Blackpool defender Craig Cathcart, Dundee United skipper Jon Daly, Motherwell midfielder Nicky Law, Honduran Arnold Peralta and Mexican striker Alan Pulido.

He is keen to tie up deals but things have stalled behind the scenes, with chief scout Neil Murray being forced out the door.

There are also concerns among the coaching staff that a promised increase in the wage budget won’t materialise.

Behind the scene issues have also slowed the process down, and the fear that he wants to reduce his coaching staff, putting the positions of Kenny McDowall and Ian Durrant under threat.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/392740/Charles-Green-set-to-block-Kenny-Miller-s-Rangers-comeback

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to think this isn't being used as a power struggle between Green and Ally. I'd imagine Green is fairly curtailed at the moment while this investigation is underway.

He has a point though unless Miller is willing to take a drastic pay cut and a short term deal he shouldn't be signed. No long term offering (tu)

fucking good if this isn't just the usual paper bullshit and Ally truly wants to sign Kenny Miller it just proves he shouldn't be Rangers manager and that he is completley out of touch with modern football no more jobs for the boys after all the talk about change and only signing players with a sell on value so many are happy to spend too much cash on old washed up mercenaries with no chance for us to make the money back it's the same attitude that got us into a financial mess in the first place.

oh and as for “Rangers hold a strong place in my heart.” away and fuck yourself Kenny, you were a decent servant overall but you were here for the money don't dare try and claim otherwise.

fucking good if this isn't just the usual paper bullshit and Ally truly wants to sign Kenny Miller it just proves he shouldn't be Rangers manager and that he is completley out of touch with modern football no more jobs for the boys after all the talk about change and only signing players with a sell on value so many are happy to spend too much cash on old washed up mercenaries with no chance for us to make the money back it's the same attitude that got us into a financial mess in the first place.

oh and as for “Rangers hold a strong place in my heart.” away and fuck yourself Kenny, you were a decent servant overall but you were here for the money don't dare try and claim otherwise.

well said that

Pish Charles won't block anything If Kenny is willing to take a reduced wage this will happen. If any CEO blocked a transfer that said manager wanted, that manager would walk. This is down to the player not Charles.

no in the real world managers need to ask permission to sign players at a well run football club the chief executive/chairman(David Murray) wouldn't have allowed the manager(Walter) to spend £10 Million odd on Steven Davis, Pedro Mendes & Maurice Edu when he already had Kevin Thomson & Barry Ferguson, Murray giving Walter free reign to sign who he liked in his 2nd spell was what made the debt so big in the first place.

if ally wants to bring back Kenny miller then sack him now!! Kenny Miller who has twice turned his back on our club is being lined up for a 3rd stint?? "special place in my heart" ? - where was this special place when signing a contract with Buraspor in the middle of a title battle? Quite simply it is time to call a halt to this jobs for the boys brigade! Show them all the door and get people who will do what is required for success in and not those who are looking to see how they can get their pals a nice wee contract to see them off in to a cheerful retirement!!

Experience is needed in that team aswell if we are to bring Kenny miller in players like Barrie McKay and kal Naismith could learn a lot from but would only want Kenny miller here if he was to take a major wage cut

Neil Alexander, Emilson Cribari, Dorin Goian, Carlos Bocanegra, Lee Wallace, Ian Black, Dean Shields, David Templeton, Andrew Little, Lee McCulloch

what more experience do you want?

it hasn't been the younger ones who have let us down it's been the experienced ones Ian Black, Dean Shields, Fran Sandaza, Kevin Kyle, Emilson Cribari, Goian they have been the biggest disappointment's I am sick of hearing our coaching staff and posters blaming our poor season on the younger players it's bullshit and a complete cop out.

Good. Miller is finished. Hopefully the same applies to Jon Daly.

We shouldn't be signing anyone over 26/27 IMO.

We need a sprinkling of Experience in the squad. Kyle and Sandaza gone and it appears Ally is trying to decide on one of these 2 forwards. Id prefer Miller given the choice for his workrate and ability to handle being a Ranger. We cant sign Messi folks. Id take him 1 or 2 seasons on 5/wk

Gonna stick my head out and say I would take Miller back. He could teach the younger pups a thing or two. However it would need to be on a short term deal and a drastic wage cut. Yes, we should be concentrating on young players but experience is still required in the team.

Gonna stick my head out and say I would take Miller back. He could teach the younger pups a thing or two. However it would need to be on a short term deal and a drastic wage cut. Yes, we should be concentrating on young players but experience is still required in the team.

Pish. What could he teach them? How to run about in circles like a madman who can't control a football?

We need a sprinkling of Experience in the squad. Kyle and Sandaza gone and it appears Ally is trying to decide on one of these 2 forwards. Id prefer Miller given the choice for his workrate and ability to handle being a Ranger. We cant sign Messi folks. Id take him 1 or 2 seasons on 5/wk

I'm Ok with that and the continuing encouragement of the youth involvement which has made the season for me. The youngsters who stepped up and played with commitment and honesty reminded me of why I support this fantastic club. Commeth the hour........commeth the man.