You Tube Idiot Fined

Rupret

A MAN who filmed himself shouting abuse at a former Scotland footballer has been fined £600.

Aaron Laing, 25, from Dundee shouted, swore and made abusive and sectarian comments to ex-goalkeeper Andy Goram on Saturday January 19 in Ladbrokes bookmakers in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire.

Laing was in a pub nearby when he learned that Mr Goram, a former Rangers footballer, was in the betting shop.

He entered the shop shouting at Mr Goram, using his mobile phone to film the incident. The footage was later uploaded to YouTube.

Laing was sentenced at Peterhead Sheriff Court after he pled guilty to threatening and abusive behaviour.

Vicki Lee Bell, football liaison prosecutor for the north of Scotland, said: "There is no place in a modern Scotland for behaviour motivated by prejudice, discrimination or bigotry of any kind.

"It is the right of everyone to go about their business without fear of humiliation, harassment or abuse.

"The Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service will continue to adopt a zero-tolerance approach to such offences and bring those who perpetrate such crimes to justice."

A MAN who filmed himself shouting abuse at a former Scotland footballer has been fined £600.

Aaron Laing, 25, from Dundee shouted, swore and made abusive and sectarian comments to ex-goalkeeper Andy Goram on Saturday January 19 in Ladbrokes bookmakers in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire.

Laing was in a pub nearby when he learned that Mr Goram, a former Rangers footballer, was in the betting shop.

He entered the shop shouting at Mr Goram, using his mobile phone to film the incident. The footage was later uploaded to YouTube.

Laing was sentenced at Peterhead Sheriff Court after he pled guilty to threatening and abusive behaviour.

Vicki Lee Bell, football liaison prosecutor for the north of Scotland, said: "There is no place in a modern Scotland for behaviour motivated by prejudice, discrimination or bigotry of any kind.

"It is the right of everyone to go about their business without fear of humiliation, harassment or abuse.

"The Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service will continue to adopt a zero-tolerance approach to such offences and bring those who perpetrate such crimes to justice."

Looks like a fudge job.

Being charged and being convicted are two different things.

Another anti Protestant bigot let off the hook and you can bet if it had the other way around the sectarian offence would have stuck.

The same rat who held up a banner promoting terrorism, got away with bigoted rants about Protestants online and was called an unrepentant bigot by several newspapers now gets only a 600 pound fine for a sickening verbal attack on Andy Goram????

Only in Scotland could someone with such a vile history get away with a slap on the wrist.

Yup. The general public would probably be shocked at the number of cases in which pleas are negotiated between the prosecution and defence. It seems to me that that's what happened in this case.

What am I missing he was charged, he pled guilty and was fined £600

What you're missing is that he has plead guilty to threatening and abusive behaviour but there was a clear religious aggravation which does not form part of his conviction.

What you're missing is that he has plead guilty to threatening and abusive behaviour but there was a clear religious aggravation which does not form part of his conviction.

Cheers, I was under the impression when he was charged that clause was not reported to be included either. Subsequently it was then reported the religious aggravation clause had in fact been included.

He doesn't seem to have been convicted of all of the offences he was charged with. It's very common for words to be deleted from a charge or for whole charges to be deleted by the prosecution in exchange for a guilty plea.

Given the contents of the video posted on you tube, I am very surprised that he wasn't convicted of a religious aggravation of the charge. Calling someone a D.O.B. is about as clear a religious aggravation as you'll get.

He doesn't seem to have been convicted of all of the offences he was charged with. It's very common for words to be deleted from a charge or for whole charges to be deleted by the prosecution in exchange for a guilty plea.

Given the contents of the video posted on you tube, I am very surprised that he wasn't convicted of a religious aggravation of the charge. Calling someone a D.O.B. is about as clear a religious aggravation as you'll get.

Cheers. I remember the thread regarding the original thread people were up in arms and accusing the PF of all sorts of double standards only for it to come out later the charge did in fact have the religiously aggravated clause included.

As you say it may have been quietly dropped for a guilty plea. Its all about money isn't it. The reduced costs if someone pleads guilty are taken into account.