Easdale "Somebody needs complete control at Ibrox"

Greenock businessmen Sandy and James Easdale are aiming to increase their shareholding in Rangers and hope to earn a place on the board as a result.The brothers, who run McGill's Bus company, are in line to buy the former Rangers chief executive Charles Green's shares , giving them about 14% at Ibrox."When you spend that amount of money on any business you wouldn't go without a voice," said James Easdale, 42."A presence on the board is something we would be seeking in the mid-term."

"There are many at Ibrox who are sensible and know the way forward but they are struggling to get there because of different factions in the boardroom or outside the boardroom working against them”

The pair, who are lifelong Rangers fans, were approached by Green towards the end of last year about investing.They did so and acquired about 6% of the shares.Now, with Green ousted and with the Yorkshireman announcing on his departure that he would be selling to the Easdale family, the brothers are looking to further extend their shareholding."We took a decision to invest in the club," said Sandy Easdale, 44."It is very hard to comment but we are serious about taking it forward."We have a delicate deal that when shares are available, we will purchase them."Other shares are an option to us and that is growing stronger."Every day we have some more negotiations with other parties.The Easdales' business interests extend into taxis, property and manufacturing, as well as McGill's, which has grown to become Scotland's largest independent operator.They say they are keen to see a "togetherness" at Ibrox to end the turmoil that has afflicted the club over the last 18 months.However, they describe acquiring complete control of the club as "a far distant place"."Somebody needs complete control at Ibrox," said Sandy Easdale."I don't know if that is where we want to be. We are quite willing to share Ibrox with people who want to do the job, do it properly and support Rangers as a club."[The turmoil] is very concerning for any Rangers fan."If we get enough support from the fans and other shareholders, together we could maybe turn it round."There are many at Ibrox who are sensible and know the way forward but they are struggling to get there because of different factions in the boardroom or outside the boardroom working against them."We need a togetherness and Rangers can move on."They have a togetherness with Ally McCoist, a great Rangers icon who has held it together under extreme circumstances, and Ally well deserves a chance to move Rangers on."And people like Walter Smith, what can you say? The man is a gentleman."His younger brother added: "We would hope to bring some sort of stability."If we can get some other shareholders on board hopefully we can bring Rangers back to where they should be, in a better position financially and playing at a level of football that everyone who supports them would like them to be."Sandy Easdale also spoke of the situation affecting Rangers chairman Malcolm Murray, who has been asked to stand down by the board."Personally, I have nothing against him, I don't know him that well, but if you are asked to leave twice there must be something amiss," he said.And asked about fans' concerns about his conviction for VAT fraud, he replied: "It was 1996, about 17 years ago. We have built up a reasonable-sized business in that time, we employ up to 1,000 people."To cast up 17 years ago seems silly when everybody else has moved on. Let's look at what is happening now."

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In amongst it all is the usual snippet "Ally needs time to move us on"

Business as usual then.

I want whoever's coming in to have a set of baws and start axing people to get us back on top. Players, coaches, management etc.

Saw that. No thanks.

The allegations that surround these guys make Whyte look like a saint.

And NO ONE should have controlling interest in Rangers.

Finally, they don't have the money anyway - nett business assets around £6m. Basically the BKs all over again.

Saw that. No thanks.

The allegations that surround these guys make Whyte look like a saint.

And NO ONE should have controlling interest in Rangers.

Finally, they don't have the money anyway - nett business assets around £6m. Basically the BKs all over again.

They are meant to be buying Green's shares for 3.5 million though. I think they could afford that.

However, it's what level of investment they can provide after that that's open for debate.

That's why I wonder what the obsession is with Rangers men in every department - I want businessmen who we can trust and have money - they don't need to have an emotional tie to the club.

In amongst it all is the usual snippet "Ally needs time to move us on"

Business as usual then.

I want whoever's coming in to have a set of baws and start axing people to get us back on top. Players, coaches, management etc.

It's hard to play to the crowd when the crowd is as divided as ours. He's damned for backing Ally, damned if he doesn't. Its good to see and hear from these guys. Pity it was Gollum that got the interview but my jury is still out.

It's hard to play to the crowd when the crowd is as divided as ours. He's damned for backing Ally, damned if he doesn't. Its good to see and hear from these guys. Pity it was Gollum that got the interview but my jury is still out.

TBH that occured to me the minute I finished posting. If they were to say they didn't rate McCoist and they'd be looking at changing the manager - before they even have Green's shares some 1/4's would laugh them off as blow-hards.

After they acquire CG's shares, they would have little or no money left over. They claim to want a say for their financial input thus far, if the invest more, i fear they will expect some decent and regular returns. Personally I'd rather someone like DK getting more of a grip.

Have no probs with the Easdale Bros investing in the Club/Company but NO-ONE should ever have sole control again.

Some of those who have invested have done so for personal gain and only have Rangers at heart as long as that investment is safe.I'm happy enough if investors are Fans aswell,it's a bonus,as they want to see progress on the park like the rest of us.

Do we need to go back to one majority owner because they said before their target was 29% of the club, and take it or leave it attitude to getting a place on the clubs board.

29% does not guarantee a seat on the board.

30% compels you to offer to buy ALL remaining shares.

And the Easdales would appear not to have enough cash to reach either 29% or 30% and certainly not enough to offer to buy all shares.