league cup final 1979 v the sheep

Watched that episode of the Big Match recently and was astounded they showed highlights of the League Cup final, wasnt aware all those years ago ITV London were showing highlights of Scottish games.

As for the game itself it was an incident between Doug Rougvie and big DJ with Rougvie being sent off dont think it was ever actually cleared up what happened. Some say thats where the bitterness between them and oursleves started.

You couldnt beat being in the old Rangers end at Hampden for a 95th minute winner...

I watched this at the weekend too, it was a great comeback by us & great for Jackson to score the winner.

Re the incident, well you could see by the reaction of the Sheep players they weren't happy, but they did remind me of Ferguson's other teams surrounding the ref etc. Maybe someone should call the radio phone in and ask DJ what happened?

Was at the game and nobody i know seen what happened between DJ & DR, It was claimed that Rougvie had hit him with a kidney punch but it was off the ball and as there wasn't that many cameras covering the games back then nothing could be proved with any certainty.

Remember "Bomber" scoring right at the end and think i'm right in saying the Aberdeen goalkeeper (Bobby Clark ?) was injured during the second half.Havent seen highlights of the game but iirc Alex MacDonald scored with a shot that went in off the post for the equaliser. How many important goals did the wee man score in big games for us, a hugely underrated player who would be worth a fortune in todays game. Remember him coming back to play for Hearts against us and getting a fantastic reception (didnt look right in a maroon strip).).

I was at that game Abergreen opened the scoring through Fleming Rangers levelled through McDonald then Jackson scored a late winner with a header from a McLean free kick into the Rangers end. I was 15 at the time great times following Rangers, one thing I do remember about being at Hamdump in those days was when Rangers scored you couldn't see or breath from the dust cloud due to Hamdump's terraces being railway sleepers and ash.

I was there that day. Remember big bombers winner , great moment.

The DJ/ Rougvie stuff was apparently an off the ball thing with big Derek kicking that big twat Rougvie in the back going for a cross.

I remember big DJ head butting mark McGhee in a game at pittodrie a few years later.