Mather backs Ally

CRAIG MATHER insists Ally McCoist has his full support as Rangers boss.

The new Ibrox chief executive has vowed to go all-out to land ALL of Coisty’s signing targets.

The Gers boss has given Mather a list of players he wants to secure for next season.

Dundee United striker Jon Daly has already agreed to sign along with Kilmarnock keeper Cammy Bell.

But McCoist has also targeted players for EVERY position with Mather pledging to back his manager as he looks to add to the capture of Daly and Bell.

Breaking his silence to speak to SunSport, he said: “What I’ve said to Ally — and we’ve been having discussions daily this week, last week and over the weekend — is ‘let’s look at the squad we’ve got and where we need to strengthen’.

“We’ll look at the players he wants to bring in and see how we can facilitate that.

“We know where we believe we are weak.

“I’m sure the fans would be able to talk about that in the same way I could.

“So we’re looking at utilising Ally’s experience and going after the targets Ally has identified over the last three or four months.

“For me we all work together as a team.

“I have a duty of care to the business and I also have a duty of care to the manager.

“It’s imperative to me that we get the balance right.

“I’ll try and facilitate the signings he wants and so far — up to and including today — EVERYONE he’s highlighted, I’ve gone after.

“Basically he’s putting the names on the blackboard and I’m going after all of them.

“There is not one person he’s highlighted that we’ve not gone after.

“We have offers out there to a number of players.

“It’s looking good so far on many of them and I think we’re all happy at this point.

“Medicals aside, we are very confident we’ll be able to bring the players in that Ally wants. Players we need.

“I’d say there are three players we’ll be ready to announce if not by this Friday then by the beginning of next week.

“We are confident with everything we’re moving forward with.

“Ally has been pleasantly surprised with the way we’re trying to conduct business.

“Basically he has a first-choice and a second-choice in the various positions he’s looking at.

“All I can say is that to date he’s happy.”

Mather has also frozen season ticket prices in a bid to thank loyal fans for their support.

He added: “I don’t expect the fans to show their allegiance to me — but give me time.

“I have been working very hard behind the scenes with Ally and as a pairing we are growing on a daily basis.

“He knows he has my full support and backing, and vice versa.

“We have good banter behind the scenes as well.

“Like I said to him when I was out on that pitch when we collected the league trophy ‘Bring on next season’.

“The fans will judge me, and in fairness Ally, on results and that’s all I ask to be judged on.

“I am a simple beast, an honest character who wears his heart on his sleeve.

“I have nothing to hide. I just want to drive this business forward and ensure for the years to come we have success without digging a big hole behind us as we go.”

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CRAIG MATHER insists Ally McCoist has his full support as Rangers boss.

The new Ibrox chief executive has vowed to go all-out to land ALL of Coisty’s signing targets.

The Gers boss has given Mather a list of players he wants to secure for next season.

Dundee United striker Jon Daly has already agreed to sign along with Kilmarnock keeper Cammy Bell.

But McCoist has also targeted players for EVERY position with Mather pledging to back his manager as he looks to add to the capture of Daly and Bell.

Breaking his silence to speak to SunSport, he said: “What I’ve said to Ally — and we’ve been having discussions daily this week, last week and over the weekend — is ‘let’s look at the squad we’ve got and where we need to strengthen’.

“We’ll look at the players he wants to bring in and see how we can facilitate that.

“We know where we believe we are weak.

“I’m sure the fans would be able to talk about that in the same way I could.

“So we’re looking at utilising Ally’s experience and going after the targets Ally has identified over the last three or four months.

“For me we all work together as a team.

“I have a duty of care to the business and I also have a duty of care to the manager.

“It’s imperative to me that we get the balance right.

“I’ll try and facilitate the signings he wants and so far — up to and including today — EVERYONE he’s highlighted, I’ve gone after.

“Basically he’s putting the names on the blackboard and I’m going after all of them.

“There is not one person he’s highlighted that we’ve not gone after.

“We have offers out there to a number of players.

“It’s looking good so far on many of them and I think we’re all happy at this point.

“Medicals aside, we are very confident we’ll be able to bring the players in that Ally wants. Players we need.

“I’d say there are three players we’ll be ready to announce if not by this Friday then by the beginning of next week.

“We are confident with everything we’re moving forward with.

“Ally has been pleasantly surprised with the way we’re trying to conduct business.

“Basically he has a first-choice and a second-choice in the various positions he’s looking at.

“All I can say is that to date he’s happy.”

Mather has also frozen season ticket prices in a bid to thank loyal fans for their support.

He added: “I don’t expect the fans to show their allegiance to me — but give me time.

“I have been working very hard behind the scenes with Ally and as a pairing we are growing on a daily basis.

“He knows he has my full support and backing, and vice versa.

“We have good banter behind the scenes as well.

“Like I said to him when I was out on that pitch when we collected the league trophy ‘Bring on next season’.

“The fans will judge me, and in fairness Ally, on results and that’s all I ask to be judged on.

“I am a simple beast, an honest character who wears his heart on his sleeve.

“I have nothing to hide. I just want to drive this business forward and ensure for the years to come we have success without digging a big hole behind us as we go.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co...l#ixzz2TPDS2XXn

:rolleyes:

HIS back was broken. But his resolve became stronger than ever.

Craig Mather has told how surviving a horrific car crash fuels his determination to be a success in life, and at Rangers.

Ibrox interim chief executive Mather cheated death when his Mercedes ploughed through a crash barrier and plummeted 20 feet off a road

bridge. Mather, 42, spent weeks in hospital worrying if he’d ever walk again before painstaking rehab got him back on his feet.

His wife, Beth, was in the passenger seat beside him that night four years ago.

And the experience has only made Mather — who has invested £1million into Gers — more focused on making every day count.

Asked about walking away from something so traumatic, he said: “Well, first of all I did not walk away, I broke my back. I know what you mean, though.

“When you don’t know if you are going to walk again that plays quite a big part in moulding you as an individual. I don’t take anything for granted any more.

“Everything I do I give 100 per cent to or I just don’t do it. It’s as simple as that.

“Yes it has affected me and yes I’m more driven now than I ever have been. I’m 100 per cent more focused on making a difference and enjoying my time here.

“And when I say ‘here’ I don’t just mean here in Glasgow. I mean on this planet!

“It was a tough time. I had a body-cast on for 14 weeks after lying on a hospital bed, with no pillow, just staring at ceiling tiles for quite a while. I was eventually allowed to leave hospital.

“But it does focus the mind. That is probably a good way of putting it.

“My wife was with me in the car and she came through it too. Had it been different, and anything had happened to her, that would have been too much for me. I don’t think I could have lived with that easily.

“It was an interesting time, but as human beings we dust ourselves down and move on.”

Four years down the line and Mather is well and truly back on his feet at Ibrox.

And he insists taking on the job as controversial Charles Green’s replacement was an opportunity he couldn’t turn down.

Mather added: “In a nutshell I know what it’s like up here. I saw what it was like last season.

“If I was nervous in any way, shape or form I would not have taken the job on.

“But I’m a genuine bloke who just wants to make a difference. I have nothing to hide and just want to be judged on results.

“I thought seriously about taking the Rangers job on, but I think seriously about everything that impacts on my life and my family now.

“But given the loyalty the employees here have shown and Rangers’ fanbase and their desire to make a difference, I wanted to show my willingness to contribute as well.”

Any suspicion of Mather from Ibrox supporters stems from his relationship with Green.

Is he too close to the man under investigation for alleged dodgy dealings with Craig Whyte?

Mather insists he has nothing to hide and hopes the outcome of the Green inquiry will soon be delivered allowing the club to move on.

He said: “The investigation will run its course and at the end of that the results will be there for people to see.

“I won’t comment on Charles Green or the investigation because I don’t think it’s fit and proper to do so.

“But I have been assured the investigation is not far from being finished. Hopefully we can put that behind us, move forward and start building for the future.”

The continued support of Walter Smith is vital.

Gers fans are being asked to keep faith in the Ibrox board. But legend Smith has been on the brink of walking away, which would set alarm bells ringing with supporters.

Mather knows that and accepts it, but added: “Walter has a huge part to play here. He is part of the foundations of the institution. He’s iconic in his name and personality.

“Walter is still here, sat on the board playing an active part in the business. Long may that continue.

“Ally McCoist plays a big part in Rangers’ future and Walter, as a previous manager, also plays a big part.

“Walter is his own man and, as far as I am aware, he wants to be part of this.”

Gers have taken no part in league reconstruction talks, with Mather insisting he’s embracing the road ahead, with Division Two next season’s target. He said: “We have all moved on. The fans have moved on and so have Rangers. We played in the Third Division and we will be playing in the Second Division next season.

“We are all looking forward to continuing the journey and, speaking to the fans, that’s their take on it as well.

“We are trying to build a squad and infrastructure that can stand the test of time.”

Mather also knows the support of Gers’ fans is crucial and is desperate to keep them onside.

He has frozen season ticket prices for next season in the hope that keeps the turnstiles clicking.

Mather added: “We have just announced the season-ticket freeze and that is me and the board saying a big thank you to fans.

“The way they have supported Rangers has been second to none.

“People have looked in from around Europe and further afield with camera crews from everywhere coming to Ibrox and Murray Park. They have been in awe of our fans.

“Ally knows how important it is to sell season tickets and so do I.

“I know the fans want the football to improve, and the only way we can do that is to support the manager, and get the players in place to drive us forwards towards the SPL.”

No problems with this from me. Mather will be doing the deals and he knows what we can afford and has to keep us within budget. If a player wants too much then tell them to fuck off.

Ally gets players he wants and if he has another season like the 1 just past then he has nowhere to hide and will be out the door.

Sounds like an intelligent guy with a good business head.

No Whyte-style pish at all in that, and no Green-style posturing.

It's still hard to trust these people tho.

I don't think I'll ever trust another suit in charge at Ibrox for as long as I live, the majority of Rangers supporters were the same last summer but quickly changed that attitude when Green came out with the "Rangers bug" pish.

All this new guy has to do is say the right stuff and he'll have the majority of the faithful eating out of the palm of his hand.