Another slant on the Odious Creep's article on Jon Daly..

So the odious one has opined on the signing of Jon Daly to Rangers and the emotions among the Rangers fans to this latest signing.

He blasts 'disgusting sectarian policies" decades ago. Fine, that's undeniable, just like a catholic trying to join a bowling or golf club back in the day it was actually a cultural/ societal issue in Scotland most certainly not exclusive to Rangers.

But there is another angle on this. Firstly, how will ra Sellick fans take to Jon Daly? How do they see this 'step forward''? My guess is that if an Old Firm game takes place next year then I think Mr Daly might get in the neck so to speak.

Yet another angle on this is how many Irishmen would be enthusiastic about a move to Rangers. Let me raise a hypothetical example ....good old Tony Stokes! Now Stokesy (and his dad) have a bit of baggage if you know what I mean. If we had approached him when he was at Hibs or Sunderland do you honestly think old Stokesy (whose dad hates the queen btw) would have been receptive to a move to the Bears? I'm going to stick my neck out here lads and boldly claim "would he f..k!

Let me cite another possibility and stretch this debate. Now bear with me lads on this one! I give you one Neil Lennon! Ok, he's not from the republic but by f..k I bet he wishes he was! Now, do you think old Lenny bhoy would have joined us? Not for one f....n minute! And why do you think they would have been less than enthusiastic about joining us? It works both ways you spineless freak!

So you see Spiersy my old chum sectarian history in the last 100 years has most certainly been a two way street. I would have held your analysis with much more respect if you had mentioned the above OR if you hadn't overlooked the fact that we have an Irish youth international goalie in our ranks (with no dissent by us) and that over 25 years ago Souness made a serious attempt to buy Ray Houghton, who was then an established Irish internationalist.

I would also have liked to have rounded your article on Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy and ask what was the prime motivation for considering themselves Irish before Scottish? We in this forum have deep suspicions that this was more political than any real feeling of irishness.

Either way Speirs, why don't you f..k off and write about other clubs and their issues? Sorry, Lawwell probably wouldn't give you permission you slimy c..t!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never be ashamed of our past, as that is what helped us become so great.

The so called 'new generation Rangers fans' may disagree Minst.

Fuck them, they weren't 'chosen' by our club, they chose our club with all the history/songs/protestant support.

Love it or leave it, don't attempt to change anything that will be here long after you've gone.

Not just Scotland the rest of Britain hated them but we are the last bastion of the British Empire thats why Spiers and co have a constant go at us.There were many Martyrs to the Presbyterian cause they must be turning in their graves at the state of this leaderless country.

So the odious one has opined on the signing of Jon Daly to Rangers and the emotions among the Rangers fans to this latest signing.

He blasts 'disgusting sectarian policies" decades ago. Fine, that's undeniable, just like a catholic trying to join a bowling or golf club back in the day it was actually a cultural/ societal issue in Scotland most certainly not exclusive to Rangers.

But there is another angle on this. Firstly, how will ra Sellick fans take to Jon Daly? How do they see this 'step forward''? My guess is that if an Old Firm game takes place next year then I think Mr Daly might get in the neck so to speak.

Yet another angle on this is how many Irishmen would be enthusiastic about a move to Rangers. Let me raise a hypothetical example ....good old Tony Stokes! Now Stokesy (and his dad) have a bit of baggage if you know what I mean. If we had approached him when he was at Hibs or Sunderland do you honestly think old Stokesy (whose dad hates the queen btw) would have been receptive to a move to the Bears? I'm going to stick my neck out here lads and boldly claim "would he f..k!

Let me cite another possibility and stretch this debate. Now bear with me lads on this one! I give you one Neil Lennon! Ok, he's not from the republic but by f..k I bet he wishes he was! Now, do you think old Lenny bhoy would have joined us? Not for one f....n minute! And why do you think they would have been less than enthusiastic about joining us? It works both ways you spineless freak!

So you see Spiersy my old chum sectarian history in the last 100 years has most certainly been a two way street. I would have held your analysis with much more respect if you had mentioned the above OR if you hadn't overlooked the fact that we have an Irish youth international goalie in our ranks (with no dissent by us) and that over 25 years ago Souness made a serious attempt to buy Ray Houghton, who was then an established Irish internationalist.

I would also have liked to have rounded your article on Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy and ask what was the prime motivation for considering themselves Irish before Scottish? We in this forum have deep suspicions that this was more political than any real feeling of irishness.

Either way Speirs, why don't you f..k off and write about other clubs and their issues? Sorry, Lawwell probably wouldn't give you permission you slimy c..t!

When I read the article earlier today, my thoughts were similar to yours. Spiers is an idiot - don't give him oxygen

I despair about scum like Britney! They like to point fingers but only it seems in one direction. Majorities or larger segments are always the ones these sort like to criticise.

In the 70's tv shows like Till Death Us Do Part actually gave a fairly balanced view of the changing world. Racism was displayed as ingrained and old fashioned and it showed how change was happening but it showed it wouldn't and couldn't happen over night. The Alf Garnetts had to be excused for the dinosaur attitude they had BUT society had to understand it was how they were educated and brought up and it is/was ludicrous to expect change to happen over night! Things have changed in that 40 or so years!

A true story from the 70's - a lady I knew - a Protestant and Presbyterian who happened to be called Pat and had an Irish surname got a job in a Glasgow sausage company. The first pay day - the local nuns came in collecting for charity and this lady said - oh I'm not of your religion so I won't contribute. Guess what - she got the sack! They even said they just assumed she was one of them! That wouldn't happen today either of course but - it kind of proves a point. Intolerance - be it in matters of race or religion or anything else is a two way street and it is long past time that the downtrodden minorities admitted that. Only then can we move on and only then can they all begin to shake off the nasty bigotry against such as Rangers - no better or worse than anyone else in these days.

Tongue in cheek I will ask - how many Protestant directors of you know who? How many Presbyterians serving on Glasgow Council? I could go on but I won't. All I will say is - being in a majority group doesn't make you intolerant and being in a minority group doesn't make you immune to that affliction!

Britney and people like him need to stop kow towing to minorities and start looking at the bigger picture!

Wait a minute.

We invite the fuckers in to our country. We feed them. We clothe them. We house them.

But we hate them?

The truth is that any resentment towards Catholics in this country is only born out of their lack of gratitude of our hospitality. I defy any body of people to have their kindness spat back in their face and not feel some kind of anger about it.

Also I should mention their betrayal of our trust by their actions involving children and other corrupt behaviour, that they have the cheek to deny ever taking part in.

All this about Catholics not getting jobs etc in the past isn't really bigotry reason I say this is look at mainstream Scotland today it's fucked with Catholics in top jobs of power

In essence maybe they knew even back decades ago that give these whining ungrateful bastards an inch and they take a mile and abuse their power

Its the issue they wont talk about MH - ever wonder why they dont do an interview with Maurice Johnston or Neil McCann about signing for Rangers ?

Neil McCann was very much accepted. And still speaks very fondly of the Rangers support and the club.

The only ones trying to make it a big deal are the people who want that stick so they can beat us with in the future. They can't do that if we have Irish Catholics in our squad. Trust me, they are annoyed.

They can't sell the sectarian stories as well as they used to.

The so called 'new generation Rangers fans' may disagree Minst.

Fuck them, they weren't 'chosen' by our club, they chose our club with all the history/songs/protestant support.

Love it or leave it, don't attempt to change anything that will be here long after you've gone.

There is no "New Generation".

They were always here. They came for the football and some may have joined in the songs as part of the occasion. That became untenable so they don't do that now.

They should not be resented. They are every bit as much a bear as any of those calling for the return of TBB. They paid their money and supported the club.

Indeed, these days, I would go so far as saying its the traditionalists that are putting the club in jeopardy by flouting the anti-sectarian laws. (If they do)

I don't agree with those laws but they exist, along with UEFA's euro laws, and it harms the club if we break them.

Let's face it, chanting or singing bigoted stuff is just what the tims want us to do. Far from getting it up them, it is us that cop it and they get a laugh over it.

There is no "New Generation".

They were always here. They came for the football and some may have joined in the songs as part of the occasion. That became untenable so they don't do that now.

They should not be resented. They are every bit as much a bear as any of those calling for the return of TBB. They paid their money and supported the club.

Indeed, these days, I would go so far as saying its the traditionalists that are putting the club in jeopardy by flouting the anti-sectarian laws. (If they do)

I don't agree with those laws but they exist, along with UEFA's euro laws, and it harms the club if we break them.

Let's face it, chanting or singing bigoted stuff is just what the tims want us to do. Far from getting it up them, it is us that cop it and they get a laugh over it.

.There is a new generation, a generation that want to embrace anything that will help them to be loved in the media or by other supporters.

Not once did I suggest putting the club's reputation into jeopardy, I mean the fans that are coming in their pants at the fact we've signed an Irishman because of his nationality rather than questioning whether we should be spending money like that in the first place.

The type of fans who can't wait to see a tricolour waved at Ibrox, not because they have Irish blood but because they want everyone to love Rangers fans , people hate us because we're successful, nothing else.

We could fly tricolours from the masts at Ibrox with a team full of catholics and the media would slate our blue seats.

The handwringer love-in is embarrassing.

This New Generation does not exist as we all know. Rangers fans have come from every walk of life. Good honest labourers mingle on the terraces with managers, lawyers and accountants and those professionals mix with what used to be called the working class (we are allegedly a classless society now, personally I think we are a fucked society but hey ho...)

These people, are brought together by their love of Rangers FC, that's right they love a club above all else and that includes hating other clubs. There is no room for class or prejudice in the stands at ibrox or anywhere else (corporate hospitality excluded but then again, a lot of them are just here for the free beer and don't bother about football.) When the game is in full swing and in the build up to it as Ibrox fills, no one cares about what religion you are, which school you went to and what you do for a living when you are not follow following Rangers. All that people care about is their regular date as it were with the football team that they love, like those who have come before them and those who will follow them when they too become part of our "Absent Friends."

IF Britney was a decent football writer (I think I should do his job cause I could do it much better.) then he would know that there is no such thin as a new generation of rangers fans in terms of attitude and occupation, for those people have always been part of the Rangers support. he would also, as many people here have stated cast his net wider and look at the general societal changes that have led to things being as they are now. While songs have been cleaned up to comply with questionable laws, which are now being successfully challenged in the courts (I know the arguments.) they are still sung with as much passion as they were sung decades ago. Some songs also will never change since they are perfectly legal and they will always be sung.

I, personally think that our fans have been magnificent this year and everyone outside Scotland agrees with that too!

As Lord Sugar would say

BRITNEY YOU'RE FIRED!

.There is a new generation, a generation that want to embrace anything that will help them to be loved in the media or by other supporters.

Not once did I suggest putting the club's reputation into jeopardy, I mean the fans that are coming in their pants at the fact we've signed an Irishman because of his nationality rather than questioning whether we should be spending money like that in the first place.

The type of fans who can't wait to see a tricolour waved at Ibrox, not because they have Irish blood but because they want everyone to love Rangers fans , people hate us because we're successful, nothing else.

We could fly tricolours from the masts at Ibrox with a team full of catholics and the media would slate our blue seats.

The handwringer love-in is embarrassing.

Perhaps its because i live in England but i dont see these 'taig loving Rangers supporters' certainly not on RM. I see alot of supporters who dont care what nationality or religon Daly is, and a few loud voices who do, but noone is delighted we have signed a Irish catholic more that a few good new signings have boosted moral and Daly is part of them. I think this issue is getting way overblown on here and is really not much of a issue except for internet ubers and fuds like britney and mad phil.

It most certainly is a two way street...........

You only need to look at the John Collins situation to see the Scottish Kaffliks are every bit if not more bitter than their Irish counterparts.

Basically Collins was approached to sign for Rangers when he played for Hibs his family swore the would disown him if he signed for the Gers so he never came and he wasn't the first to do that and wont be the last.

Never be ashamed of our past, as that is what helped us become so great.

This.

Im sick of reading of this "shameful past". That "shameful past", as you pointed out, helped shape us into the most successful football club on the planet amongst other things.

Perhaps its because i live in England but i dont see these 'taig loving Rangers supporters' certainly not on RM. I see alot of supporters who dont care what nationality or religon Daly is, and a few loud voices who do, but noone is delighted we have signed a Irish catholic more that a few good new signings have boosted moral and Daly is part of them. I think this issue is getting way overblown on here and is really not much of a issue except for internet ubers and fuds like britney and mad phil.

Eh? They are rife on RM

Gladly they don't represent ANY of the Rangers fans I know personally in real life

Eh? They are rife on RM

Gladly they don't represent ANY of the Rangers fans I know personally in real life

Who on RM has said anything about loving the taigs or made any comments about wanting a catholic irishman here so everybody will love us? Are you sure you are'nt confusing not caring about somebodys background, with loving there background? Because theres a huge difference.

Who on RM has said anything about loving the taigs or made any comments about wanting a catholic irishman here so everybody will love us? Are you sure you are'nt confusing not caring about somebodys background, with loving there background? Because theres a huge difference.

Taig tolerant is a better phrase