Jim Henry calls Robbie Crawford "an incredible athlete"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah mate.

Previously worked at celtic, Aston Villa & Sunderland.

Looks like a hard cunt :craphead:

Comes with a good pedigree! ... hopefully he toughens them up - which from all I've heard so far they are doing a lot more fitness work.

Comes with a good pedigree! ... hopefully he toughens them up - which from all I've heard so far they are doing a lot more fitness work.

Good, We need that. Remember we were out on our arse away to Dundee United after 45mins?

There really was no excuse for that.

Robbie is tea total as well, which makes him a rare beast in Scottish football.

Good, We need that. Remember we were out on our arse away to Dundee United after 45mins?

I genuinely think that's where the difference in levels of intensity that they were playing at every week came into play. Everybody looked a yard off the pace from the get go. I remember Wallace going in for a standard block tackle and he was swiping at fresh air because he was so off the pace.

The fitness levels weren't great on the whole though and I'm glad it's being addressed.

I'd say 45 minutes is generous of you mate

I genuinely think that's where the difference in levels of intensity that they were playing at every week came into play. Everybody looked a yard off the pace from the get go. I remember Wallace going in for a standard block tackle and he was swiping at fresh air because he was so off the pace.

The fitness levels weren't great on the whole though and I'm glad it's being addressed.

I wonder (aloud) why this issue wasn't addressed midway through last season when it was clear by the Autumn that our fitness levels were lacking.

I rate Crawford and I hope he can get his chances this season if he gets his strength and power up without sacrificing pace or technique he will make a decent CM but I feel a Shiels role behind the front men is a good place for him if he can keep Dean and Law out of that position he will be doing very well.

Firstly I think it's fair to say neymar is on a different planet to Robbie Crawford in terms of natural ability so Robbie has to make up for that in his physicality! Neymar has blistering pace which means not having that strength isn't that big an issue as most defenders won't be able to keep up with him and as you seen in the confederations cup he ends up getting fouled alot as a result!

Even neymar could improve if he gets bigger and stronger ala cristiano ronaldo! I think above all else what Robbie needs is games, the more he plays the better he will become! If he could add a half yard of pace then there could be a very decent player there!

People always talk about how this is some sort of "backwards Scottish mentality" but I think you would struggle to name one player who hasn't benefited from becoming fitter and stronger wether that's physically or athletically.

Nobody is expecting him to be walking about looking like The Hulk, but it's only going to benefit the boys career if he can become stronger than he is now and couple it with his cardio fitness.

For every Neymar who is a phenomenal talent despite being slight, there is a Bale or a Ronaldo who became even better talents by working and training even harder than they already were.

I still disagree, if you are fit and have skill then the so called bulking up will come with age, as you mature as a player, to make statements like the lad need bulking up is rubbish in my eyes and I have coached and still do and played at decent level myself, not once have I said the lads ok but needs bulking up sorry lads can see how this would make Robbie a better player

I still disagree, if you are fit and have skill then the so called bulking up will come with age, as you mature as a player, to make statements like the lad need bulking up is rubbish in my eyes and I have coached and still do and played at decent level myself, not once have I said the lads ok but needs bulking up sorry lads can see how this would make Robbie a better player

I think you are generalising my post. I am not saying all young players need to bulk up to improve their performance.

Having watched Robbie last season and been impressed with his workrate and finishing I was just making the observation if he increased his upper body strength he could be better, particularly if he wants to play CM.

Numerous times last I saw him out muscled when shoulder to shoulder with opponents. Out of all the youngsters he does have the slightest frame, that can't be argued, when you look at Aird, Macleod and even wee Barrie showed his ability to stand up to physical tussles. I know with age that strength will slowly increase but there's no problem with him working on it now.

I don't claim to be a coach it's just my opinion as a fan who wants to see him improve.

I think you are generalising my post. I am not saying all young players need to bulk up to improve their performance.

Having watched Robbie last season and been impressed with his workrate and finishing I was just making the observation if he increased his upper body strength he could be better, particularly if he wants to play CM.

Numerous times last I saw him out muscled when shoulder to shoulder with opponents. Out of all the youngsters he does have the slightest frame, that can't be argued, when you look at Aird, Macleod and even wee Barrie showed his ability to stand up to physical tussles. I know with age that strength will slowly increase but there's no problem with him working on it now.

I don't claim to be a coach it's just my opinion as a fan who wants to see him improve.

Leg strength/size is far more important for footballers. That's what stops you getting pushed off the ball easily.

Leg strength/size is far more important for footballers. That's what stops you getting pushed off the ball easily.

Like I say I'm no coach or fitness expert. Just think with a bit more strength will improve his overall game, particularly if he wants to play CM.

Knew a lot of the current youth from age 12 to 14 and for me Robbie stood out in temperament and football brain..I'm sure he was a strong middle distance runner at this age as well... when the rest of the boys were quite lazy

Sounds like he's worked for a lot of tarriers....

The lad deserves a reward for being the inspiration for such a positive thread in the Bears' Den! :pipe:

I'd like to see more of him this season and I'm thrilled about the effort and focus on fitness this pre season with regards the whole squad.

He only started a handful of games last season and he still chipped in with goals showing a lot of composure in front of goal in the process. And he's only 20, he has plenty of time to develop.

Does he? Not like he is 17, next step is first team or out on his arse.