A Dinosaur rears his head.

D'Artagnan

I've often been referred to a “dinosaur” - mostly by the new breed of Rangers fans (though age does not seem to be a determination in this equation) who see our Protestant, Unionist, Loyalist and British identity as something... not exactly to be ashamed of.... but quite clearly something they would prefer not to be there. I of course would disagree, but then again as a Protestant, Unionist, Loyalist, British Rangers supporter I would wouldn't I ?

Furthermore I appreciate there are those who follow our club, and may I add, are as passionate as I am about her, yet who are not the slightest bit interested in being a Protestant, a Unionist etc. etc. Times change and so do attitudes and beliefs, often for the better. But for several generations, including my own, Rangers were not just a football club. They represented who we were, what we stood for and the things which we believed in. And it still does today, no matter how society moves on to other things.

No Rangers were not founded for overtly religious reasons, nor were they a bastion of Unionism, Presbyterianism or anything else for that matter, it was simply 4 boys with dream to form a football club for football reasons. But it would be foolhardy and erroneous to suggest that the characteristics and identity alluded to in the opening paragraph did not evolve over time and I would contend, if one was to examine our song repertoire,symbolism and flags, is still very prevalent today.

We are not just supporting a football club, but a set of beliefs, of standards, when we sing we do so with a passion which goes beyond sport, into the realms of a celebration of identity and culture. They are our club and we are their people. I appreciate all do not feel this way, but those who do will know exactly what I refer to.

On Wednesday 24th July, 2013, that celebration of a football club intertwined with the beliefs of its people erupted in spectacular fashion in Sheffield. The people of Sheffield heard what we are, saw what we believed in, and the things we considered important, those worth celebrating, defending and, perhaps most importantly, in the case of Lee Rigby, were most worthy of our utmost respect.

They watched, they tweeted and they stood in awe and admiration at the Rangers support. Remarkable how an audience how are not motivated by a hatred of the things many of us cherish, can be so complimentary rather than derogatory. It makes one wonder where the problem really lies ?

Rangers are not a platform for these other views and never should be. Nor should our expression of our Protestantism, our Unionism, our Loyalism or our British identity ever be done in a manner which brings shame upon our club or for that matter that which we seek to celebrate. There is a delicate balance at work weaving it all together, and I would remind those of similar beliefs to my own, there are people out there who are determined to destroy that fine balance and eradicate it forever.

The power and passion on display at Sheffield is the reason why. They are frightened of it. Its the same power and passion which rescued a football club against the odds , which broke world records last season and filled stadium after stadium. To the consternation of many, that power and passion is on the march once again, and it does not intend to stop.

As the many Owls fans testified post match – no other set of visiting supporters has ever come close to matching that power and passion.

Let us celebrate our club's identity and culture with responsibility, and in such a way which makes us as many new friends as we did in Sheffield.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see you mix up your PUL agenda with just sheer love of the club - again - our Sheffield trip was an obvious success - almost as obvious as you trying to piggy back your beliefs onto said success - what about all the non- PUL fans who also attended and had a great time - love of ones club does not have to be tied to any political or religious agenda

I see you mix up your PUL agenda with just sheer love of the club - again - our Sheffield trip was an obvious success - almost as obvious as you trying to piggy back your beliefs onto said success - what about all the non- PUL fans who also attended and had a great time - love of ones club does not have to be tied to any political or religious agenda

Those who dont understand - dont matter.

Hate to tell you but those five thousand fans all belting out the loyalist classics in Sheffield are part of the club - a huge part of the club

The whole of the Rangers end was belting out orange/loyalist songs.

sad to say ,but if the majority of this country think like you,this country will be lost

D'art I think our recent custodians of our Club(murray era onwards) found shame in what the Club had come to symbolise , from the day murray saw fit to withdraw support for the Orange Order to hold their Church day at our stadium............putting words into the mouths of UEFA in highlighting songs that they think are wrong......yes I believe our owner started this before the immigrants from the East End.

I am of the age that appreciates the feeling you describe in your words about what links (linked) the majority of our fans. I have been proud to hold those beliefs since a schoolboy and still smile at the thought of that Church Parade taking over 2 hours to march proudly along McLellans St on it's way to the home of the Club I follow.......I waved to my Lifeboy leader, the dinner lady from school, the minister from our church and to numerous school teachers and many a neighbour and family member.

As you say our Club was not founded on the principles you describe, merely by various acts in history.....seeing a club rise on the est end based on religious beliefs.............having many an Ulsterman working in the local shipyards and like many people came along every other Saturday to watch the Famous Glasgow Rangers.........our Club embraced the Loyalist, Unionist and Protestant beliefs , because they belonged to our Scotland at that time and lets not forget that often quoted...........embraced the Protestant Work Ethic and the freedom of choice.

We grew strong because the forefathers of our Club knew what these principles stood for................Alas they don't today :(

Rangers are a bastion of Unionism, the Quintessential British club.

Should you not like that that fact, do one :)

Lots of love xx

D'art I think our recent custodians of our Club(murray era onwards) found shame in what the Club had come to symbolise , from the day murray saw fit to withdraw support for the Orange Order to hold their Church day at our stadium............putting words into the mouths of UEFA in highlighting songs that they think are wrong......yes I believe our owner started this before the immigrants from the East End.

I am of the age that appreciates the feeling you describe in your words about what links (linked) the majority of our fans. I have been proud to hold those beliefs since a schoolboy and still smile at the thought of that Church Parade taking over 2 hours to march proudly along McLellans St on it's way to the home of the Club I follow.......I waved to my Lifeboy leader, the dinner lady from school, the minister from our church and to numerous school teachers and many a neighbour and family member.

As you say our Club was not founded on the principles you describe, merely by various acts in history.....seeing a club rise on the est end based on religious beliefs.............having many an Ulsterman working in the local shipyards and like many people came along every other Saturday to watch the Famous Glasgow Rangers.........our Club embraced the Loyalist, Unionist and Protestant beliefs , because they belonged to our Scotland at that time and lets not forget that often quoted...........embraced the Protestant Work Ethic and the freedom of choice.

We grew strong because the forefathers of our Club knew what these principles stood for................Alas they don't today :(

Murray used a tactic all dictators used "divide and conquer"

Great piece d'art (as usual). I think the point here is that although you are immensely proud and passionate about your beliefs/upbringing and wish to celebrate that you accept that many passionate rangers fans may not share those same beliefs however the love of rangers is ultimately more important and they aren't mutually exclusive. I think that's fair. I myself am very proud of being British, something many in this country and n.ireland are trying to make us feel ashamed of or painted as a bigot....I support the unionist/loyalist affiliations and traditions within our support but accept others wish to take no part in that side of things.

I think the problem is some who don't wish to be involved in these beliefs or traditions try to force their percieved offended ness onto others and instead of accepting it they try to challenge and belittle the upbringing, beliefs and values if others....

Striking the balance as you so eloquently put it is 100% the key....

For me, our sense of identity is one of the things about Rangers that is very important to me. People have said to me "Why do you support a Scottish club?" and I tell them, because I believe it, and we believe it, Rangers is not a Scottish club, it's a British club.

As a nation these days we are subliminally instructed by the press and by countless little special interest groups, that it's somehow politically incorrect, wrong, or even discriminatory and aggressive to express pride in, and to celebrate Britishness, and I don't buy that for a second. Flying the British flag is not offensive, and being proud to be British is not a character flaw.

Bears know this, we're proud of our history, and our nation, and if challenged about it, we can say that this is who we are and that we're proud of it, as we should be. Britain is a proud nation with a proud history, and I will not be made to feel like I should feel guilty about my pride.

With that pride does come the responsibility to be worthy of it, that is, not to bring shame on the club, on her fans, or on our nation. When I pull on a Rangers shirt and go outside, I feel as though I am representing the club and her fans to others, and the responsibility is on me to represent those things in as honourable a way, as worthy a way, as possible. Without pointing fingers, I genuinely don't understand what fans of other clubs feel they are accomplishing by making arses of themselves, smashing stuff up, and causing trouble. To me, bringing shame on your club... it's not the sort of thing I'd ever want to be responsible for.

I go out, I get very pissed, and have a wee singsong at the match, and both and at the same time, I give the club my support, and I make damn sure I don't tarnish the reputation of the club, her fans, or my nation. I don't just turn up for a good time - though I always have one - I'm proud to be wearing the shirt, because it represents our club, and it represents what we believe about our nation.

I see from this week that many of us believe the same, and this week, I think we did ourselves proud. And that itself, is something to be proud of. Long may it continue.

Rangers. Not just a football club.

Rangers are a bastion of Unionism, the Quintessential British club.

Should you not like that that fact, do one :)

Lots of love xx

If Rangers fans were / are the backbone of the scots support and you choose to ignore it - do one - love and blow jobs all round xx