Virgin media/Espn

Espn ends on virgin media tomorrow ,virgin media say they are still talking to BT however it looks like it will be £12 for the bt sport on virgin after debating with them that I was now paying for xl package which no longer had a sports channel , albeit had been free according to them,my argument was I would be as well dropping to L package any way after haggling and insinuating I would leave them I manage to get a discount they call it loyalty payment, so any virgin media customers on here it is worth a try.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Espn ends on virgin media tomorrow ,virgin media say they are still talking to BT however it looks like it will be £12 for the bt sport on virgin after debating with them that I was now paying for xl package which no longer had a sports channel , albeit had been free according to them,my argument was I would be as well dropping to L package any way after haggling and insinuating I would leave them I manage to get a discount they call it loyalty payment, so any virgin media customers on here it is worth a try.

thanks for heads up.... would be good to negociate a discount on the £12 bt channel, might give it a try...

The rumour is that a deal is done and VIP customers will get it free of charge. It is uncertain if that is because VIP has TV XL and whether TV XL customers will also get it free, but official news is expected soon.

This was posted on the Virgin Media help forum on 29/7/13:-

From midnight on 31st July 2013, viewers will no longer be able to watch ESPN America and ESPN Classic with any of the UK’s TV providers, including Virgin Media.

BT now owns the ESPN and ESPN HD channels and we’re currently in discussions with them about showing these channels after this date. As soon as we have any developments we will let you know, so keep an eye on the forums for any announcements, or check out this page: virginmedia.com/btsports

None of this means the final whistle for sport on Virgin Media, though – we’ve still got plenty of ways for you to get your fix.

In August, you can look forward to World Championship Athletics from Moscow, and Vuelta a España. You also have the ability to watch Sky Sports, £15.50 for a single Sky Sports channel or £21 for Sky Sports 1 & 2. Plus, you can always get the latest scores and highlights with Sky Sports News (channel 515).

Don’t forget, you can catch all of this action online, wherever you are, with Virgin TV Anywhere. To find out more, head over to virginmedia.com/discovertvanywhere

How does this affect my current services?

If you have Sky Sports subscription, you’ll still have loads of action at your fingertips:

• 116 Barclays Premier League matches next season

• Cricket from home and abroad, including all England’s Test matches

• All of this autumn’s rugby internationals, and much more

And don’t forget, you can catch all of this online with Virgin TV Anywhere.

If you subscribe to ESPN on its own, you’ll have seen a letter telling you about the channel closure. Your subscription finishes on the 31st July and after that you’ll stop paying for the service. If you’ve already paid for your service beyond this date, we’ll refund it on your following month’s bill (you’ll find it under ‘Credits for services removed’).

If you’re a TV XL customer and have ESPN as part of your package once the channels are no longer available there is no change to your TV package price. This is the same as when we add or remove a channel to a TV Package.

What happens to recordings I've made from the ESPN channels?

Anything you’ve recorded from the ESPN HD/America/Classic channels will be there to enjoy until 1st November 2013. After that, they’ll disappear.

More information can be found on virginmedia.com/espn

Only ESPN America & ESPN Classic will stop on 31/7 as it stands. No official announcement on ESPN yet. Watch this space though. Will surely see something announced soon.

It's a sham though. They set the XL package price when Setanta went tits up & we got ESPN 'free'. Now that ESPN is due to stop, we'll have no 'free' football!

I'm confused. I have espn and I'm on sky. Do I need to cancel espn myself and buy bt sport or what is happening to espn?

You won't get ESPN any longer You don't need to cancel anything, All you need to do is phone up n buy the BT sport package. This includes ESPN. Remember you need to pay £3 extra to get HD. That's my understanding of the issue.

Aww, how much is espn normally? And it'll cancel itself so my mum won't get charged, smashing. :lol: and how much is bt sport or whatever it's called for sky?

On sky I was paying £9P/M for ESPN.. With BT sports it will be £12P/M It's free if you take out the BT internet package. However it will cost £15 P/M for the BT sports HD pack.

Is there an overall sports package offered by Virgin? That'll surely be reduced to include the removal of ESPN.

Any new package will surely have BT sport included and be subsidised as a result.

I am with sky but it's like everything else the reduction IF any will be new customers only.

If you are on virgin media and have the xl package espn was included, if you want sky sports channels you pay extra, 10 Rangers games were on espn last season now that has gone the guy I spoke to this morning reckons it will cost them £12 through bt

i am also with virgin & my contract is up so like everyone else trying to get the best deal for the football bt sports is on a stream so aslong as your broardband is good you should get the football on firstrowsports fine i am going to give it a few weeks see how it goes hopefuly should be able to do away with the tv deal save loads of money :party:

I spoke to Virgin and they said no deal is done with BT yet, negotiations are ongoing and they were waiting for the figures from BT.

They do not know what prices and discounts etc are available.

IF you have been with virgin for a bit try and get a loyalty discount with them, lasts for 2 years and shaves some cash off your bill. usually about a tenner or so.

I spoke to Virgin and they said no deal is done with BT yet, negotiations are ongoing and they were waiting for the figures from BT.

They do not know what prices and discounts etc are available.

IF you have been with virgin for a bit try and get a loyalty discount with them, lasts for 2 years and shaves some cash off your bill. usually about a tenner or so.

That's what I did this morning and got loyalty discount as I said in my 1st post

Had a discussion wit a Geordie guy from Virgin on the phone and he said Virgin has given them until Thursday to take an offer. Basically the price of the XL Package would go up a couple of quid and BT Sports and Sky Atlantic would be included. This came after a survey among some Virgin Media customers who agreed they'd be happy paying a small increase on the package cost.

Had a discussion wit a Geordie guy from Virgin on the phone and he said Virgin has given them until Thursday to take an offer. Basically the price of the XL Package would go up a couple of quid and BT Sports and Sky Atlantic would be included. This came after a survey among some Virgin Media customers who agreed they'd be happy paying a small increase on the package cost.

I could live with that.