• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Matthaus

2. Scholes

3. Mendieta

4. Riquelme

5. Maldini

Random question - does anyone know if George Best ever played at Ibrox, in a friendly or with hibs?

He played against us in a league game at Ibrox and indeed pretended to take a drink from a can lying at trackside.

Well past his best by then of course but showed the odd bit of class every now and then.

My game was in January 73

We used to play them every year or two around the sixties.

the only time rangers played arsenal in the seventies was the centenary game in aug 73,ger lost 2-1 with parlane scoring for gers and arsenal getting 2 very late goals.the admission cost that night was the same as 100 years previous 1p ithink in the boys gate.

Benzema's performance at Ibrox in late 2007 was unbelievable and so unexpected.

I follow French football quite closely and while he was good, the media over their had him and Ben Arfa as party-daft wasters. He also struggled for games up until that season even though he had made his début a year or two before.

He was outstanding, though. That was probably the most impressive solo performances from a striker I've ever seen. He terrorised Weir and Cuéllar, big time. I'm sure he scored twice.

I was trying to think of other visiting players on European occasions and randomly remembered that Israeli team, I think it was one of the Tel-Aviv sides, where we scored and all of a sudden, McGregor got sent-off for an incident with one of their strikers. :lol:

Fuck Jimmy Johnstone

I agree fuck Jimmy Johnstone.However Linnyplant would also agree with you.As Linny said Johnstone was a great winger, that we hated when he got the ball,at times our defence would be left raggid after one of his mazy runs.The only thing Linny got wrong was John Greig booted Johnstone onto the red ash track at the Midden.Referee that day Brother Tiny Wharton.

Fairly easy choice for me:

Messi – The best player I’ve ever seen.

Beckenbauer – The finest centre back / sweeper of all time, except the night we beat them to get to Barcelona. Colin Stein so tormented him that night, FB resorted to booting lumps out of CS but nonetheless the best.

Cruyff – A magician and took the absolute pee out of us in the unofficial champions of Europe double header in 1973.

Del Pierro – Wonderful performance for Juve against us and even beat The Goalie direct from a corner, I rest my case.

Mendietta – i think he was playing for Valencia at the time. Was absolute class and oh how I wanted us to sign him. Remember him going down the wing and almost beating our entire defence(no mean feat at the time) and simply running the entire match for them.

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. It would seem that the 5 most popular performances from opposition are (I think);

Beckenbauer

Cruyff

Del Piero

Mendieta

Riquelme

Funnily enough not one vote for Jimmy Jonstone. I am sure that will please 1st Jan 1994 no end LOL!!!

Yous have stole me thunder with requelme he was a class act, seen em all in ibrox but he is one I remember, how the fuk didn't we go to the last 8 that year

Second group stage you mean?

Anyway, it was coz of what happened to Mols. I'm certain we would have went through if he never had that 50/50 with Kahn.