Top 5 oppostion players you saw at Ibrox

linnyplant

I have been following Rangers since the early to mid sixties and since that time I have so many wonderful Rangers players grace the famous blue jersey. Recently I was in a conversation at work about the best players to have played against Rangers at Ibrox . Here is my top five which will I am sure be completely different from your top five. I also give my reasons for choosing these players.

Franz Beckenbauer= The most skillful centre back I have ever seen. He played against us five times and I first saw him at Ibrox in a uefa cup tie and he just strolled around the park passing the ball with the outside of his foot all night long. A fantastic performance that night and Bayern knocked us out.We did however get our own back a couple of seasons later and Colin Stein gave the Kaiser the biggest runaround of his life in the semi final ,forcing him to toe the ball into the centenary stand more than once that wonderful night. Never the less Franz Beckenbauer was majestic the first time he played at Ibrox.

Alan Ball- Bally came to Ibrox with Arsenal to play a friendly in the early seventies and his midfield play was an absolute joy to watch. He had boundless energy and was a pocket dynamo his passing and first touch were superb that day and the Rangers midfield struggled to cope with the wee ginger guy with the white boots on.We just couldn't close him down. he gave a midfield master class that day.

Johann Cruyff- Like Beckenbauer Cruyff was one of the best players to have ever graced the world stage and I was again very fortunate to have seen him play at Ibrox when an impressionable young teenager from Kinning Park. All I can say is if you weren't there that night when we played Ajax in the super cup then you missed something truly special. Cruyff had everything -elegance ,style, pace and a fantastic football brain.

Mario Kempes - The Argentinian world cup winner played at Ibrox for Valencia in the early 80s I think. He was a striking figure with his flowing black hair and he had skill, pace and power. Kempes was superb for Valencia and scored at Ibrox to knock us out the cup.

Frank Riykard Played at Ibrox in a pre season tournament with Ajax after they had won the european cup.I think he was just 18 at the time and he just oozed class and ran the show from mid field ,it was no surprise to me that he went on to sign for AC Milan and played in one of the greatest club sides ever with Van Basten and Gulit.

Well thats my five ,but I would also like to mention one other player who I know will not please some on RM. Jimmy Jonstone - Jinky tormented Ranger defences for a good five years and his ability to twist and turn his way past defenders was astonishing (and painful to watch) at times. A wonderful Scottish winger.Jinky got introduced to John Grieg who went to left back. Griegy introduced Jinky to the running track around Ibrox. He was never as effective against Rangers again. I happened to end up working with wee Jinky when we were both at Lafferty Builders in the 1980s, but thats a story for another time.

Remember its not about the greatest players who came to Ibrox its about the best performances from players.For example Messi played at Ibrox but did he have a world class performance that night? Over to you.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to think how fast Mendieta went downhill when he left Valencia. He was world class in midfield with that guy Baraja .... they defo peaked and had their prime from 98-2003 or so

The striker they had - Lopez? - was class as well, just completely disappeared after leaving Valencia.

The striker they had - Lopez? - was class as well, just completely disappeared after leaving Valencia.

Think he went to Inter Milan and had a couple of good years but faded too ....

Some team they had ... Medieta ... Baraja.... Lopez ... Caniraes ... Kiky Gonzalez ... Vlaovic ... Adrian Ille ... etc

Hi Linny,

An age thing lol

Thats right ED and its interesting to see the younger bears picking recent players and the older bears picking players going way back. Us older bears were lucky to see the truly great players Unlucky young bears!!! LOL!!!

I have been following Rangers since the early to mid sixties and since that time I have so many wonderful Rangers players grace the famous blue jersey. Recently I was in a conversation at work about the best players to have played against Rangers at Ibrox . Here is my top five which will I am sure be completely different from your top five. I also give my reasons for choosing these players.

Franz Beckenbauer= The most skillful centre back I have ever seen. He played against us five times and I first saw him at Ibrox in a uefa cup tie and he just strolled around the park passing the ball with the outside of his foot all night long. A fantastic performance that night and Bayern knocked us out.We did however get our own back a couple of seasons later and Colin Stein gave the Kaiser the biggest runaround of his life in the semi final ,forcing him to toe the ball into the centenary stand more than once that wonderful night. Never the less Franz Beckenbauer was majestic the first time he played at Ibrox.

Alan Ball- Bally came to Ibrox with Arsenal to play a friendly in the early seventies and his midfield play was an absolute joy to watch. He had boundless energy and was a pocket dynamo his passing and first touch were superb that day and the Rangers midfield struggled to cope with the wee ginger guy with the white boots on.We just couldn't close him down. he gave a midfield master class that day.

Johann Cruyff- Like Beckenbauer Cruyff was one of the best players to have ever graced the world stage and I was again very fortunate to have seen him play at Ibrox when an impressionable young teenager from Kinning Park. All I can say is if you weren't there that night when we played Ajax in the super cup then you missed something truly special. Cruyff had everything -elegance ,style, pace and a fantastic football brain.

Mario Kempes - The Argentinian world cup winner played at Ibrox for Valencia in the early 80s I think. He was a striking figure with his flowing black hair and he had skill, pace and power. Kempes was superb for Valencia and scored at Ibrox to knock us out the cup.

Frank Riykard Played at Ibrox in a pre season tournament with Ajax after they had won the european cup.I think he was just 18 at the time and he just oozed class and ran the show from mid field ,it was no surprise to me that he went on to sign for AC Milan and played in one of the greatest club sides ever with Van Basten and Gulit.

Well thats my five ,but I would also like to mention one other player who I know will not please some on RM. Jimmy Jonstone - Jinky tormented Ranger defences for a good five years and his ability to twist and turn his way past defenders was astonishing (and painful to watch) at times. A wonderful Scottish winger.Jinky got introduced to John Grieg who went to left back. Griegy introduced Jinky to the running track around Ibrox. He was never as effective against Rangers again. I happened to end up working with wee Jinky when we were both at Lafferty Builders in the 1980s, but thats a story for another time.

Remember its not about the greatest players who came to Ibrox its about the best performances from players.For example Messi played at Ibrox but did he have a world class performance that night? Over to you.

Re Alan Ball Linny.....Arsenal play in yellow that day at Ibrox