Lest we forget

Kai_Johansen

Much furore has been made by our many detractors regarding the recent events surrounding our club’s support for the family of murdered soldier Lee Rigby and the emphasis we as a club and support place on Remembrance Sunday.

With a 30 plus year career with the MoD, I have many friends who are serving or retired military personnel, most if not all are just happy to be doing a job they love, regardless of the dangers that currently come with the cap badge.

Anyhow, my wife’s father has an old aunt in a care home that we have visited over the last 2/3 years, at first I found it a task to give up my time, always finding something more urgent or important to do, kind of reminds me of my own mortality!

Well, on one of our visits about 2 years ago I took a stroll out into the garden and came across an old boy sitting by himself in a white simmit and the biggest pair of khaki baggie shorts the likes last seen on Don Estelle in ‘it ant half hot mum’ in the seventies

He asked me if I was there to visit him, he told me that he was a little bit confused about the here and now, but could remember the old days no problem.

He told me he was a keen sportsman and played cricket and football for Burntisland shipyards before the war, was a passionate gardener and loved to grow roses.

Over the next two years he also told me that he had sailed on the Russian conveys as a merchant seaman, how one of his friends got cut in half by shrapnel, and how a ship directly in front his got torpedoed and disappeared in seconds with the loss of all on board.

I sent his details of to the MoD and about six months ago he got a letter back informing him that he was to receive a medal in recognition of his courage and service to his country, with sublime modesty and dignity he told me that he was honoured to get such an award but that he was the least heroic person he had ever known.

Anyway, with the summer holidays and my kids getting ready for university I hadn't been to the home for about five weeks, turns out the old boy had slipped anchor and passed away about a month ago.

At 94 only a handful of people attended his funeral, most of his immediate family are long gone, which is really sad for someone who gave so much to his/our country, and who had to wait over 65 years for such fleeting recognition.

It was an honour and privilege to have known him, as a nation we take so much for granted, our freedom and security, all paid for by people like Drummer Lee Rigby and countless old boys just like him.

Bryce where ever you are, enjoy your Lardy cake and coca, less we forget indeed.

Oustanding. Members if the armed forces have my upmost respect.

Our forces days and other stories in the press regularly have me in tears.

Especially the picture of the guy from Lenzie with his young son.

Every single death of a person serving our country should be headline news, the public need to hear it.

Don't believe in God, so God bless you all is nonsense but can't think of fitting equivalent right now.

Fantastic story but the sad thing is the said gentleman probably had harder times leaving the armed forces (than he thought he did facing the enemy) dealing with the disgusting treatment that our ex servicemen get treated once they have served queen and country!

Lest we forget RIP

Lest We Forget ! :sherlock:

It's 'Lest we forget' not less.

I know, should have got it right, feel really embarrassed.

I know he wasn't an immediate member of my family, I just felt the need to share his story.

If truth be told I'm really in bits at his passing, he truly was a remarkably humble man.

Apologies to all, especially Bryce

12 years British Army, 20 years RUC, seen a bit - but my Old Man was Royal Navy and did Russian Convoys in a destroyer! Never spoke about it....probably couldn't!! Don't think I'd have fancied that ...but at least he could fight back...not like Bryce and his mates!

He's gone too some years ago now!

LEST WE FORGET!!!

Great story and one I can relate to

I became friends with an old fellow (his name was Dave M) some years ago: he had never married and had no family left alive, was living on his own etc. I met him when we were both in hospital years ago and he took me under his wing as i wasnt very well.

He had served in the New Zealand Army during WW2 and while he didn't see any frontline action until the very last stages of the war, in Itlay, he none the less had served his country. After the war he was a part of J Force that occupied Japan immediately after ww2.

I got to know Dave quite well over the years. He was a member of the NZ Returned Services Association. I loved getting Old Dave talking about his experiances through life and in particularly during the depression years leading up to WW2 and WW2 itself. He was a shy man but once you got to know him you found out he was a real character and very intelligent.

He could even remember what he was doing the day the Bismark was sunk!

As the years passed and Dave's health slowly deterioated, I played more and more a role in his life: visiting him, taking him places, helping out with things, cleaning his house etc. He became almost like the father I never had and me the son he never had.

Eventually it was me who rung for the ambulance the day that I could see Dave's health was going down hill and he couldnt look after himself any more. he was about 87.

After some time in hospital I helped dave get a place at Rannerdale Residental Resthome and Hospital for Veterans where he enjoy several good years, mixing with the other guys and the staff. it was so good to see him living with people again after so many years struggling on on his own. He had such a sharp brain and always whipped the other guys in card games lol

Rannerdale was set up by the NZ Returned Services Association and was specifically for veterans. Bit like Erksine.

the guys in there were vets from WW2 onwards and although they were all very polite, modest and very much humble gentlemen, I knew that they had been in and seen things that were well beyond my comprehension.

http://www.rannerdale.co.nz/

So yeah Dave had a few good years there but unfortunately he had a fall and broke his hip. He never fully recovered alas. I would visit him as often as possible. he was always paranoid of dying of pneumonia.

the last time I saw him he was quite unwell with a cold and I could tell he worried about dyingl. he got really grumpy and angry with me and I came away feeling real sad. He died a couple days later and just before he died he tried to get the staff to get hold of me: to make amends I reckin.

But th staff didn't contact me. I only heard this later.Turns out Some wanker who was after Daves money, as he knew he had no family, had taken my name off the list of people to contact if anything happened to Dave. Unbelievable.

Funeral was good but sad: we played the last post and put poppies on his coffin. There were stories and tears..

I visit his grave still. It is up in Kaikoura where Dave grew up and has a great view of the sea and the snow capped mountains that tower above the sea.

It was a pleasure to know Dave and I am so sorry the last time I saw him he was so upset but i know it was because he was scared he was dying.

so yes Lest We Forget

I wear my Rangers poppy shirt with pride for to me it represents Dave and all the fellows like him. They gave so much to their countries and communities. May they never be forgotten (tu)

They were top guys.

• 2 years later...