WadeWilson

I read that the anti-homophobia campaign will be in full effect this weekend. As a show of solidarity for gay footballers, all players in Scotland and England have been asked to wear rainbow-coloured laces.

All 42 clubs in Scotland have been asked. It will be interesting to see how many clubs take part... and also how many of our own players will wear the laces.

Especially since football is often still seen as a homophobic sport, in terms of fans' attitudes and dressing room culture alike.

136940082__452314c.jpg

http://www.thetimes....dard-2013_09_16

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I'm actually against this....was listening to the guy in charge of it today and one of the main ideas behind it came across to me as trying to flush out an openly gay footballer which I think benefits others rather than said individual.

Having played football my whole life I don't doubt there are gay players playing at all levels but dressing room banter and the mentality of most guys who play football would make it very difficult for these individuals and would create an uneasy atmosphere in some teams whether you want to admit it or not!

I like the intention just not the way they are going about it, with paddy power sponsoring it and offering odds on players coming out etc!

To be honest I'm actually against this....was listening to the guy in charge of it today and one of the main ideas behind it came across to me as trying to flush out an openly gay footballer which I think benefits others rather than said individual.

Having played football my whole life I don't doubt there are gay players playing at all levels but dressing room banter and the mentality of most guys who play football would make it very difficult for these individuals and would create an uneasy atmosphere in some teams whether you want to admit it or not!

I like the intention just not the way they are going about it, with paddy power sponsoring it and offering odds on players coming out etc!

My money's on wee James Forrest

That really is shocking if the bookies are taking odds on it and whatnot, pretty low even by their standards.

:lol:

Some queers could make a fortune.