Old Firm slapathon

Carsons Dog

Academics have, for the first time, found what they say is firm evidence of a link between domestic violence and Old Firm football matches.

The study, by the University of St Andrews, is billed by the researchers as the first to confirm long-held beliefs that reports of domestic violence in Glasgow increase following matches between Rangers and Celtic.

hey say that their data may actually underestimate the level of abuse, since not all incidents are reported to police.

The new paper, published online this week, shows a statistically significant increase in domestic incidents following all 21 Old Firm matches between 2008 and 2011.

Researchers say the results of the study provide 'compelling evidence' of the effect of Old Firm matches on reported domestic cases of physical, sexual and emotional abuse in the 24 hour period after kick off.

The study was led by Dr Damien J. Williams, a lecturer in public health sciences at the university of St Andrews.

He said: "Media reports have long suggested that the number of reports of domestic violence appear to increase when Scotland's two largest, Glasgow-based football clubs, Rangers and Celtic (traditionally referred to as the Old Firm) play one another.

"These have followed concerns by the Scottish Government who say that domestic abuse in Scotland is an increasingly visible problem, with the highest prevalence on females in Strathclyde."

Statistics indicate a year-on-year increase in incidents of domestic abuse reported to the police between 2002 and 2003 (35,877) and 2011 and 2012 (59,847). The majority of these incidents occurred in the Strathclyde Police jurisdiction, with the majority of victims being female.

Dr Williams continued: "However these reports have been based on crude comparisons of limited data sets. Our aim was to develop a robust analytical approach to undertake a preliminary exploration of the association between Old Firm matches and reported domestic incidents in the Strathclyde Police area."

Previous studies have examined abuse of partners by male athletes, while others have looked at the link between sporting events and increased domestic violence - thought to be the effects of the toxic combination of sport, alcohol and heightened masculine behaviour.

In the new study, Dr Williams worked with St Andrews graduate Kirsty House (now at the University of Cambridge) and St Andrews' colleagues Dr Fergus Neville and Professor Peter Donnelly.

The researchers looked at the number of reports of domestic violence incidents to Strathclyde Police following an Old Firm match, including those held on Sundays.Reports were based on any form of abuse against a partner, or ex-partner, in the home or elsewhere.

They then compared the figures with those reported for the same 24 hour period seven days after an Old Firm match and also 24 hours after high-profile Scotland international games (played in Glasgow), which would likely involve similar amounts of alcohol and expression of masculine identity.

Dr Williams said: "We found a statistically significant increase in the average number of reports following Old Firm matches, compared with other periods. Our preliminary analysis confirms previous speculation concerning the association between Old Firm matches and reports of domestic violence."

The team call for further research to interpret and understand the complex association between sport and domestic violence. Although they did not study reports of domestic violence in relation to match outcomes, disciplinary issues on the pitch, or domestic violence reports before a match, they say these could be worthy topics for future research.

Dr Williams said: "Our approach may underestimate the true impact of Old Firm matches on domestic violence, as not all incidents are reported to the police, but it nonetheless offers a conservative estimate of the severity of the problem.

"We hope that our work will not only inform preventive interventions to tackle the association between Old Firm football matches and domestic violence, but will add to the literature advocating for prevention efforts to address sport-related domestic violence more generally. "

Shocking waste of time, funding etc to provide that conclusion.

Sad thing is in the Modern Football world there will be many in a position of power who will utilise this garbage for their own agendas to further sanitise what used to be a good laugh and day out at football

I'm sure this myth was debunked recently on the news.

From memory the article stated that despite an expected fall in domestic abuse incidents, due to Rangers and the rodents being in different leagues, there was little difference in the number of cases reported.

What the report doesn't say is who is doing the abusing, is it 50/50 between the fans or is one group worse than the other?

That's the statistics I'd like too see.

And as that was obviously one of the biggest and most obvious variables in their assessment it is quite shocking that Dr Damien J. Williams, a lecturer in public health sciences at the university of St Andrews, and his, I assume, well tutored students have either failed to take in to account or ignored.

In most statistical research it is vital to find root cause, not apparent cause.

Does not say a lot for the standard of the research, as even the majority of non-academic people would have quickly come to same basic conclusion.

A valuable opportunity to learn real information which could be useful to the police, social services etc, wasted. Obviously used as a gimmick to raise Dr Williams general and academic profile. Pretentious time waster. And we pay his wages.

And as that was obviously one of the biggest and most obvious variables in their assessment it is quite shocking that Dr Damien J. Williams, a lecturer in public health sciences at the university of St Andrews, and his, I assume, well tutored students have either failed to take in to account or ignored.

In most statistical research it is vital to find root cause, not apparent cause.

Does not say a lot for the standard of the research, as even the majority of non-academic people would have quickly come to same basic conclusion.

A valuable opportunity to learn information which could be useful to the police, social services etc. Obviously a gimmick to raise Dr Williams general and academic profile. Pretentious time waster. And we pay his wages.

I wonder if the stats would be available under freedom of information from Police Scotland? Even if they don't record statistics like that, you might find spikes in incidents after a certain team gets beat.

I wonder if the stats would be available under freedom of information from Police Scotland? Even if they don't record statistics like that, you might find spikes in incidents after a certain team gets beat.

As it was University research, possibly funded by our money, I would assume we have a right to this information. Also I believe that research by academics is usually produced in some sort open of report or research paper for general use, and also assessment by their peers.

As it was University research, possibly funded by our money, I would assume we have a right to this information. Also I believe that research by academics is usually produced in some sort open of report or research paper for general use, and also assessment by their peers.

So they must have had all this info at the start, but have choose to leave it out the report?

I could hear the "collective slaps" at approximatly 945 on wednesday night, I wonder why that was?

Did he determine if the abuse was higher when Rangers won or the other lot?

I had a mate that worked in Croy and when Mo Johnston scored the only goal late on at Ibrox several of the women started crying. My mate asked why they were upset and was told that they knew that they would be getting a battering by their men later.

I'm sure this myth was debunked recently on the news.

From memory the article stated that despite an expected fall in domestic abuse incidents, due to Rangers and the rodents being in different leagues, there was little difference in the number of cases reported.

That's because of people like me, I like to punch my girlfriend on a regular basis just to keep the average up I used to kick my dog but the press up here in Scotland see kicking a dog as a bigger deal for some reason.