Story In Rebel About The Words In The Billy Boys

minstral

A FOOTBALL fan was fined yesterday for calling a Celtic star “Fenian scum” and posting The Billy Boys song on Facebook.

Apprentice stonemason Jamie Love, 20, was convicted of behaving in a threatening or abusive manner towards midfielder Kris Commons.

His comments disgusted people who reported him to the police, Stirling Sheriff Court heard.

Depute fiscal Kim McGregor said the song incited “religious prejudice against Catholic people”.

And she added: “I would submit that the lyrics ‘Up to our knees in Fenian blood, Surrender or you’ll die’ could initiate violence against the Catholic community.

“The accused’s Facebook profile was accessible to all who searched for him and was in the public domain and he had no control over who could directly see it.”

Love put the words on to his social network page in the lead-up to football matches in August and September 2011.

Ms McGregor said: “The accused said it was meant as banter with his mates but conceded the comments were made completely out of stupidity. As he admitted to posting the sectarian remarks he knew they would be threatening and abusive.

“We heard from witnesses who said they found the remarks disgusting.”

Love, of St Ninians, Stirling, was found guilty after trial of behaving in a threatening or abusive manner by posting the comments.

Defence agent Virgil Crawford said that his client’s comments had no real chance of causing fear or alarm and they would do little more than upset people.

However, Sheriff Mark Thorley disagreed and fined Love £250.

He said: “I accept this was on one view a matter of stupidity.”

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A FOOTBALL fan was fined yesterday for calling a Celtic star “Fenian scum” and posting The Billy Boys song on Facebook.

Apprentice stonemason Jamie Love, 20, was convicted of behaving in a threatening or abusive manner towards midfielder Kris Commons.

His comments disgusted people who reported him to the police, Stirling Sheriff Court heard.

Depute fiscal Kim McGregor said the song incited “religious prejudice against Catholic people”.

And she added: “I would submit that the lyrics ‘Up to our knees in Fenian blood, Surrender or you’ll die’ could initiate violence against the Catholic community.

“The accused’s Facebook profile was accessible to all who searched for him and was in the public domain and he had no control over who could directly see it.”

Love put the words on to his social network page in the lead-up to football matches in August and September 2011.

Ms McGregor said: “The accused said it was meant as banter with his mates but conceded the comments were made completely out of stupidity. As he admitted to posting the sectarian remarks he knew they would be threatening and abusive.

“We heard from witnesses who said they found the remarks disgusting.”

Love, of St Ninians, Stirling, was found guilty after trial of behaving in a threatening or abusive manner by posting the comments.

Defence agent Virgil Crawford said that his client’s comments had no real chance of causing fear or alarm and they would do little more than upset people.

However, Sheriff Mark Thorley disagreed and fined Love £250.

He said: “I accept this was on one view a matter of stupidity.”

unreal

If a guy walked down sauchiehall street saying fenian scum and singing the BB hed likely get huckled.

He did it on an open social media site and got fined because of it.

Times have changed, our PC world isnt going away. People dont agree with it, but whilst we live in it we need to abide by it.

Know your audience is like minded and not going to report it.

Guy sounds a dafty on the wind up to mhanks who are now one up on him.

That's what you get for getting someone called "Virgil" to defend you.

I think it's more to do with the folk that are doing the prosecution and what their agenda is. These things, even though in a court of law as usually predetermined, funnily enough.

So is that saying if he set his security to private he would have got away with it?

Fucked up world.

Probably not but it would have made his argument that it was just banter with mates more believable IMO.

Still absolutely horrid you can get charged for posting that on facebook though.

OH DEAR! Anyone read anything about the Scum causing havoc in Dundee, Brentford, singing sectarian, anti british songs, while knocking hell out of each other, deficating in stands, running around naked, etc? If so can you post any links.

The guy's a clown for doing it and deserves all he gets, but we NEED parity or else it just looks like a vendeta against one element of society. I've seen some terrible things posted on FB/Twitter to and about Rangers players/Orange order?protestants, which just go left unpunished, is this because we let things slide and the ambulance chasers are more/mock offended?

It's time to box clever, we need to start getting as "O'ffended" as they do, and report EVERYTHING of bad taste , no matter how petty.

I'd like to see our overbearing PF have a go at an educated person utilising the word fenian.

Thats the difference though. The guy in question did not use the word in a constructive manner. He described someone as 'fenian scum' which you are just not allowed to do.

People that do this and are charged should not get any sympathy. It is unacceptable and is illegal.

The same should also apply however to remarks from the other side about 'proddy scum' or 'orange scum'.

We should not excuse our own and moan about the others. We should look down on anyone from either side who states things like this.

Thats the difference though. The guy in question did not use the word in a constructive manner. He described someone as 'fenian scum' which you are just not allowed to do.

People that do this and are charged should not get any sympathy. It is unacceptable and is illegal.

The same should also apply however to remarks from the other side about 'proddy scum' or 'orange scum'.

We should not excuse our own and moan about the others. We should look down on anyone from either side who states things like this.

gerry adams and wolfe tone, both fenian scum

are focus about to come after me for this?

Mitre Mouldmaster there's a difference between a fenian and a Catholic ... I'll happily call terrorist loving rebel Republicans fenian scum

Some people may mean Catholic when they say fenian, that's their battle to fight. I'd be confident of winning any court case for use of the F word personally .... hopefully would never come to that, though

gerry adams and wolfe tone, both fenian scum

are focus about to come after me for this?

Totally agree regarding your views on gerry adams and wolfe tone. It would seem that what we have here is a situation where the authorities fail to understand the use of a word as defined in the dictionary or are giving themselves the power to re-define the meaning of a word and its usage at will to suit their own personal view. Even they must admit to the fact that all RC's are not fenian and as such would logically have nothing to fear from somebody with no political following putting the words from a very old song on the internet. Likewise I have never heard of any act of mass violence to have taken place in the British Isles against self confessed fenians based on the words of the song in question.

Some people may mean Catholic when they say fenian, that's their battle to fight. I'd be confident of winning any court case for use of the F word personally .... hopefully would never come to that, though

I'd be confident the you should win, but not that you actually would