Safe Standing Areas

Spuddy Zelda

I see that the Mhanky mob are considering introducing safe standing areas and wondering if there is demand for this at Ibrox. I have great memories of going matches and watching from the terraces. My first cup final was at Hampden in 1986 when the Bears beat Celtic 2-1 and the atmosphere was deafening.

The East and West enclosures were the source of most of the noise at Ibrox. However, since all seated stadiums were introduced I have found going to matches is akin to going to the Opera (not that I go to the Opera!) where the atmosphere is empty and sterile. A whole generation has now missed out experiencing terracing and the real buzz of a football match.

Many German teams have safe standing and as far as I can see the atmosphere at these matches is brilliant. I am also not aware there are any problems as such.

For those who don’t know much about safe standing check this out:

The other possibility about safe standing areas is that these areas could be cheaper than seated areas.

I think they should be introduced now and get Ibrox rockin’!!

am of the age when you could only sit in the stand. the terraces rocked for 90mins.,a great sound and atmosphere. no am of an age that after standing /bouncing for 90mins at Bristol that my knees got the hump. so the option of standing would be a great thing for the younger fitter guys to experience. not that some of us auld yins could not do the game some would put the youngsters to shame.

The only possible reason I can see it getting postponed further or stopped from happening at Ibrox is that long-term season ticket holders may refuse to move. If it leads to a case of "well we're moving you anyway" it would leave a bitter taste.

Having said that, this needs to happen and should have happened about 5 or 6 years ago.

I would like to see it happen. Anything that creates a bit of atmosphere has to be welcomed and the German model proves that you can stand safely at football grounds these days.

With the level of CCTV and extra police at games I don't think there would be any problems with it.

I'd love it. We should try it out in the Copland Front, extend it possibly round the whole lower tier eventually.

I wouldn't have appreciated this idea had it not been for the PSV game a few years back. Because it was exciting near the end of the match nearly everyone was standing over there and the atmosphere was amazing.

Sad to say but if the bheasts are discussing this then it shows us up again for our ineptitude.

These areas would encourage younger fans to attend and that is what the bheasts are probably targeting.

There also seems to be a lot of support for it which is on the link below.

This would have been a better idea than poxy wifi.

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk

Would it not be better in a ground that is reasonably full; so this rules out Septic Park. If only I could only think of 1 ground that fills up on a regular basis, where could that be?

No as the standing section reduces the capacity. This is a win win for them as it encourages attendance and when it's up they can then rejig fan locations and go back to seating.

No it doesn't. It increases capacity.

I agree this would increase by at least 20% in the area. and the noise from the area would increase by at least 60%,. as on your feet you have no option but to sing sway and become involved with the atmosphere. fuck them in the stand who treat ibrox as a church.