Craig Whyte was too much of a coincidence for me.

OlegKuznetsov

After coming under the the dubious scrutiny of HMRC, and Lloyds starting to get nasty, a new owner was found. This, we hoped, would see us over the Lloyds period, and allow us to fight off HMRC- a case whic we latterly won.

However, rather than being the saviour delivering us from the evils of Lloyds and HMRC, he turned out to be far worse. Has there ever been a worse football Club owner? Could there ever be a worse one?

After all the coincidences of HMRC going after us so doggedly after agreeing to write down Arsenal's £300m debt to £10m, ignoring other larger cases and certain clubs suddenly stopping the use of EBTs just as it is agreed that a former cabinet minister joined them, whilst Lloyds started demanding harsh repayment terms, I just feel that Whyte's involvement and conduct is too much of a coincidence.

Was he hand-picked and financially induced by some wealthy and perhaps hateful individuals with an agenda? I really can't see any other possible owner fouling up so spectacularly. I don't even see how it was in his interest to try to publicly defraud the company, risking both liberty and any financial gain. He had a viable asset which he could have sold for far more than the £1 he allegedly paid. He could have taken any one of a number of decisions, including selling off shares, selling players to clear the debt, selling the whole Club instantly or even entering Administration before he started to withhold taxes?

His actions make no sense, unless he too wanted to harm the Club. Does anyone else share my suspicions, or do you feel he is a fool who merely got out of his depth? Was he a pawn or merely an egotistical buffoon?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had been Whyte and did what he did to us I would constantly have had the fear of not having the ability to breath once my actions were discovered.

this is a man who was in talks with CG to get lifelong season tickets at Ibrox. He doesn't think like you and I and more to the point - nobody has touched him.

As to the OP's point. No co-incidence.Whyte done with us the same as he done with nearly all his other companies - put them in admin with a view to clearing any debt, and then trying to sell us.

It came a little unstuck for him I think, but with the lack of clarity in the some of the investors, we still dont know if he has actually succeeded in his end game - which was making money for himself.

Ermmm... no.

Whyte took a chance that we could keep going until the EBT result was announced. If not guilty, he had a great asset for £1. If guilty, he could put us into admin and not lose much. It all started to come unstuck when we failed to qualify for Champions League, he needed that cash to continue.

No conspiracy needed, just a chancer taking a chance and losing.

Ermmm... no.

Whyte took a chance that we could keep going until the EBT result was announced. If not guilty, he had a great asset for £1. If guilty, he could put us into admin and not lose much. It all started to come unstuck when we failed to qualify for Champions League, he needed that cash to continue.

No conspiracy needed, just a chancer taking a chance and losing.

Has there ever been another such chancer in football who did so much harm in a mere 7 or 8 months?

The harm he inflicted merely opened the door to those who had been trying to harm the Club.

He was a complete godsend for them. I very much doubt any other owner could have please our enemies so much,

Has there ever been another such chancer in football who did so much harm in a mere 7 or 8 months?

The harm he inflicted merely opened the door to those who had been trying to harm the Club.

He was a complete godsend for them. I very much doubt any other owner could have please our enemies so much,

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to downplay the harm he caused. I just think he completely understimated what he thought he was taking on.

this is a man who was in talks with CG to get lifelong season tickets at Ibrox. He doesn't think like you and I and more to the point - nobody has touched him.

As to the OP's point. No co-incidence.Whyte done with us the same as he done with nearly all his other companies - put them in admin with a view to clearing any debt, and then trying to sell us.

It came a little unstuck for him I think, but with the lack of clarity in the some of the investors, we still dont know if he has actually succeeded in his end game - which was making money for himself.

That is my point that he is not normal. I am sure he has trousered enough cash from us without any assistance after Green took over.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to downplay the harm he caused. I just think he completely understimated what he thought he was taking on.

He did have a "Walter Mitty" air about him, so perhaps he was that, rather than a pawn in a conspiracy.

As much as it may seem paranoid I've had the same thoughts as Oleg. He could have paid taxes by selling players, and would potentially made a fortune once the BTC was settled.

The only other conclusion is that he was certain a CVA would be agreed.

Over-confidence may have been part of his "Walter Mitty" personality.

I'm sensing this one doesn't appear to be quite as popular as the other one.

I just don't get what Whyte was trying. He could have made more by choosing less harmful options.

I think BP is about there. Its difficult to second guess what he was thinking and its even worse when you use your own logic,he operates in a world where the logical thing one of us would do isn't the way its done. If what BP suggests had worked (the CL money would have covered enough for the EBT case result to have been announced) he would have a saleable asset worth many millions. Losing the CL income meant he couldn't avoid the consequences of witholding the PAYE money and it came crashing down around him. In his mind he tried to save Rangers but failed through someone elses mistake (Ally and the team) so feels no responsibility.

Then again you could be right but it would take the obsession of fans of a certain club to a Machiavellian level beyond the imagination of most.

I think BP is about there. Its difficult to second guess what he was thinking and its even worse when you use your own logic,he operates in a world where the logical thing one of us would do isn't the way its done. If what BP suggests had worked (the CL money would have covered enough for the EBT case result to have been announced) he would have a saleable asset worth many millions. Losing the CL income meant he couldn't avoid the consequences of witholding the PAYE money and it came crashing down around him. In his mind he tried to save Rangers but failed through someone elses mistake (Ally and the team) so feels no responsibility.

Then again you could be right but it would take the obsession of fans of a certain club to a Machiavellian level beyond the imagination of most.

This is why, in my opinion, it can't be ruled out. They have explored every possible avenue of attack. Why not this one?

Between going out of Europe and entering Administration, several months passed, which would have allowed him to sell players in January or shares previous to that.