The VB website

Carsons Dog

Damned lies and statistics

Here:

exemplary.jpg

Written by: Pro Patria

A quote often attributed to Benjamin Disraeli but the earliest reference to it appears to be in a speech made by Leonard H. Courtney, (1832-1918), later Lord Courtney, in New York in 1895:

"After all, facts are facts, and although we may quote one to another with a chuckle the words of the Wise Statesman, "Lies - damn lies - and statistics", still there are some easy figures the simplest must understand, and the astutest cannot wriggle out of."

Recently we have had the utterly laughable but not unpredictable assertion that the Celtic fans are just cuddly, lovable rascals.

First we had Neil 'The Bigot' Lennon stating:-

"I am not going to point the finger at them (the Celtic fans) because I don't know what the facts are but our fans are exemplary."

"I have been here 13 years and everywhere they go, they have been an absolute credit to the club. They make a lot of friends wherever they go."

"Again, I don't have the facts in front of me but I would say that if there was a reaction, there was immense provocation in the first place."

So not only does he comment when not in possession of the facts but stated that 'everywhere they go they have been an absolute credit to the club'.

Oh really Neil?

Indulge me here for a moment as I recount some of those 'credit making' journeys.

2002 v Blackburn Rovers - 26 Celtic fans are arrested as fans riot outside the stadium.

2003 v Liverpool :- Celtic fined by UEFA for 'provocation' by their fans.

2003 v Boavista :- RAF helicopter is scrambled and an aircraft diverted to Cardiff Airport as it makes an emergency landing after a mid air disturbance. Yes you"ve guessed it......those lovable rogues aka Celtic fans caused the disturbance.

2007 v AC Milan :- Celtic fined £25k for a pitch invasion by a Celtic fan who then assaulted the Milan keeper Dida.

2007 v AC Milan (again) :- Celtic fined by UEFA (again) after their fans threw a bottle on the park

2008 v Barcelona :- A Celtic fan (whose anonymity has been preserved) sentenced to 4 years in jail for a bottle attack on a Spanish barman.

2008 v Man Utd :- Celtic fined yet again by UEFA to the tune of £42k for yet another pitch invasion.

2008 v Man City :- Celtic fans destroy dozens of seats and a 3 year old City fan is hospitalized after being hit by a brick thrown from the Celtic fans.

2010 v Lincoln City :- 20 arrests made as Celtic fans battled in the streets of this historic town.

2010 v Hearts :- Police have to deploy CS gas to quell a riot in the stadium concourse as Celtic fans riot and steal food from the kiosks

2011 v Hearts :- Celtic fans attack stewards and police inside the ground during a large scale disturbance.

2011 v Hibs :- Celtic and Hibs fans battle outside the ground in what Police called a pre-meditated battle.

2011 v Rennes :- Celtic fined by UEFA again... yes I know it's hard to believe... to the tune of £13k for illicit chanting.

2012 v Udinese :- Celtic receive a £21k fine from UEFA for offensive banners and chanting by Celtic fans.

2012 v Dundee :- Four Celtic fans reported to the Procurator Fiscal and around 70 ejected from Dens Park in what Dundee officials called 'a throwback to the 1970"s'. Some of the worst violence seen at a Scottish ground for decadesas Celtic fans rioted.

2013 v Brentford :- noise, vandalism, litter and Celtic fans 'intent on provoking trouble' according to the local media.

2013 v Ajax :- 44 fans arrested, 28 of them Scots and 1 police officer attacked while he lay unconscious. Running battles, broken bottles and general mayhem all over central Amsterdam as the 'innocent Celtic fans' are provoked in to violence.

Thought I would just pop in a few examples for you Neil of the 'exemplary behaviour' of the thugs and bigots you defend without the facts. Mind you when you're cut from the same cloth what do you expect?

Oh and to you Mr Ian Bankier who said this at their recent AGM:-

"There is a tremendous romance attached to the club. We put smiles on people's faces all over the world, we have a tremendous attitude to life, humour and social responsibility. Together with football success, that makes us unstoppable".

Call me ever so cynical Ian but I am willing to bet that the police forces in the various cities and countries above may have something different to say. Not to mention all the innocent fans and staff caught up in the disgraceful behaviour shown by your out of control fans.

Like I say there are LIES, DAMNED LIES and STATISTICS...and I say thank God for STATISTICS.

From Google Cache