First ever European away game

Billstar

With all this boycott chatter got to thinking about all the places I've been to watch Rangers and my first ever European away game. Went to Milan in 1984 to see us play Inter in the Uefa Cup. The memories that I have from this trip will never leave me. Only 14 and from Drumchapel I went on the Bishopbriggs bus which was very well ran. Can't remember the big guys name who ran the bus at the time but to me he was one of them legendary mountain of a Bear characters :praise:

A 2 day bus journey to Milan with all them memorable stops at numerous service stations, the faces of the staff when thousands of Bears descended upon them in the UK and abroad. Thrown in with the card game on the boat, were I kindly assisted one of the Bears at the Blackjack table to give the dealer a doing and got a tenner for my troubles.

Had my picture taken with a group of Rangers fans with a couple of penguins with the Bears showing there gratitude to the penguins with a few extended versions of our greatest songs :party:

The Rangers end was a sea of Union Jacks tied around the San Siro and there was a youth game going on before the match. Italians started to come onto the pitch and steal flags and I remember it all kicking off and a few hundred bears chasing the Italians around the side of stadium to get the flags back. The boys from the Bishy bus had stood tall and I remember the war wounds some of them had with one big guy actually breaking his leg and he was dropped off at hospital in England on the way home. Sadly we were beaten 3 nil with Super Ally missing a good chance that would probably have seen a few thousand bears on the pitch if he had scored.

The Inter fans were up to all sort of nonsense during the game and after but them and the city of Milan knew the Rangers had been in town.

Wonderful memories that I will cherish until my last breath. I understand there is a lot of friction between the support just now but we should and we must remember We Are the Greatest Fans in the world of that I have no doubt. It is now more than ever the club needs us and I for one will always be there.

Thank you Rangers

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Juve in Stadio del Alpi.

Collected quite a bit of dough from the very hospitable tally's who rained down local currency on us throughout the game. Also got studded with a shoe and a pair of specs. Had a vision of a short sighted juve fan hopping home after the game.

We got humped sadly, but it was a pleasure to see Del Piero etc in the flesh, although poor Alex Clelland is probably still having nitemares about him!

Cracking experience as an 18 year old travelling with the hardened Kinning Park loyal for god knows how long on a bus. Brilliant time had in the square in Turin as we took over and partied on cheap as fuck vino.

Those were the days, before responsibilities and fucking board room bullshit came along.

Inter was my first as well and your trip down memory lane brought back many memories. Traveled with the Nitshill boys and as you say, will never forgot it. Happy days indeed. We will get back there in the next few years I'm sure.

Inter was my first as well and your trip down memory lane brought back many memories. Traveled with the Nitshill boys and as you say, will never forgot it. Happy days indeed. We will get back there in the next few years I'm sure.

Awe the Nisthill bus :thumbup: legends indeed :praise:

PSG in 2001 when I was 18, we'd just started going about with older lads at that time, still best pals to this day but they'd been round the block a bit, the French plod where animals though, PSG fans had the cops running scared.

It was an amazing experiance and to leave with the result on pens was just too sweet.

de Boer should have won it for us in extra time but he sky'd a late penalty, or at least in that moment if felt like he completely sky'd it. someone told me a while back that the Southampton manager missed they're last penalty that night.

McLeish came in and had a brilliant firat 18 months winning 5 trophies he could compete for BUT I've always felt that if Advocaat stayed in charge we had a real chance of winning the Uefa Cup that year.

On a side note, I remember that night being the first real time I thought Russell Latapy could be a top Rangers player, I remember the groans when he came on and ue just took the game by the scruff of the neck.

Good times, memories that'll last a lifetime

My mate was in hospital for that game, he punched someone in Bonkers (remember that???) And the guys teeth where so manky they infected his hand haha, anyway im sure I remember watching that in the TV room with him, was that not 2000? As it was the same time of year as my first game which was in 2001

*Edit was this not an afternoob kick-off? 3pm on a Thursday or something like that?

My mate was in hospital for that game, he punched someone in Bonkers (remember that???) And the guys teeth where so manky they infected his hand haha, anyway im sure I remember watching that in the TV room with him, was that not 2000? As it was the same time of year as my first game which was in 2001

*Edit was this not an afternoob kick-off? 3pm on a Thursday or something like that?

did the guy have ginger hair by any chance?

How was the trip though? I'm pretty sure the Bears were immense in the ground that night and yes it was 3-0.

I don't really remember much about it. I met Jorg Albertz's da before the game. The germans were loud, after every goal they played the same tune which the whole stadium bounced along too.

Great thread

My first one was Gothenburg at the start of the failed ten in a row season

Got humped 3.0

My Dad was working in Sweden at the time so took me over

Was a low key affair. In and out job and arrived at game right on kick off

Tbh since that game the only ones I've missed is

Galatasary (although doing that with Chelsea in Feb)

Paok Salonika

Bitear Jerusalem

First Parma

Inter Milan closed doors

Vitoria Zizkov

Done just about every Euro away pre season too tbh since then

Can't see me ever missing another one until the day I die unless I'm hospitalised or something