iang2911

Loan for initial one month. Just found it

EXCLUSIVE Morton make double signing

Jonathan Mitchell

Social networks...

Facebook

Twitter

Published: 27 Dec 2013 12:00

MORTON yesterday completed the signings of a Rangers starlet and a former Ibrox defender, the Tele understands.

Share this image

MORTON yesterday completed the signings of Rangers starlet Barrie McKay and former Ibrox defender Darren Cole, the Tele understands.

Attacking midfielder McKay made an impact with the Glasgow outfit last term, making 41 first-team appearances as they lifted the Third Division championship.

His displays wide on the right or off a main striker saw him receive international recognition at Under-18, Under-19 and Under-21 level with Scotland. The 18-year-old, who penned a five-year contract with Ally McCoist’s men in September 2012, has seen less action this term and is believed to have agreed an initial one-month loan with Ton. Free agent Cole, meanwhile, is thought to have penned a contract which will tie him to the Cappielow club until the end of the current campaign. The versatile defender came through the youth ranks at Murray Park and made five first-team appearances in his three years as a full-time professional with the club.

Cole, who made his Rangers debut in a Champions League clash with Bursaspor of Turkey in 2010, also had a spell on loan with Partick Thistle.

In his four months with the Jags, Cole made six appearances, one of which came in a 0-0 draw with Morton at Firhill in February 2012. The 21-year-old featured at centre-half — he is also comfortable at right-back — and was one of Thistle’s best performers as the sides shared the spoils. Cole counts current Ton striker Archie Campbell as a close friend from their time together at Ibrox, and it is understood that he was keen to find a club after his release from Rangers back in August.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No sure about this one ... in some ways it's good and in other ways I'm unhappy.

That's pretty much how I feel. It'll be good to see him get games, and good that it's in a higher league. I'd have liked him to be getting more game time with us though. I think he has ability and should have been given more opportunities with us. He's been allowed to stagnate for too long.

I like wee Barry, but he was a one trick pony and was quickly found out. I hope he develops more to his game. Another one who should have been spending more time at Auchenhowie in the afternoons working on technical skills. Hopefully Darren Cole has been brought back to earth with a bump and it has effected a change in attitude which will see him well.