McCoist has salary halved

Frank Reynolds

McCoist has salary halved... but Rangers boss still waiting to see how cuts impact squad

Ally McCoist has confirmed his 50 per cent wage cut has finally been enforced – but the Rangers boss is still waiting to learn how the Ibrox austerity drive will impact on his squad.

McCoist volunteered to halve his £825,000 salary back in September to help combat rising costs at the club, only for the move to be stalled by the boardroom chaos seen at Ibrox.

Chief executive Graham Wallace has now pushed it through and this week also held extensive talks with the manager about a wider programme of cuts.

article-0-18D8642800000578-901_634x435.jpg

Gesture: Rangers boss Ally McCoist agreed to have his salary halved to combat rising costs at Ibrox

article-0-1A8BF1FB00000578-563_634x435.jpg

Money matters: Austerity cuts mean that Rangers might have to trim the size of their squad

McCoist insisted he has not yet been told to dispose of any players, but will hold further discussions with Wallace next week.

Asked about his own contract, he said: ‘It’s all done. It has all been agreed with Graham, so it’s sorted.

‘In terms of the wider situation, I had a lengthy meeting with Graham on Tuesday. There is nothing concrete - nothing is set in stone. He hasn’t told me I need to sell players or get rid of them.

article-0-1A6EF48100000578-663_634x435.jpg

Tight lipped: Chief executive Graham Wallace has not confirmed if McCoist will need to sell players

‘It was just an overall view of the football side and we will meet again next week. When there is something to say, we will do that.

‘Graham said at the AGM that there would need to be cuts, so he’s made that public.

‘He hasn’t made it known to me where those cuts are going to take place, and in what shape or form.’

article-0-1A64106300000578-288_634x435.jpg

Prized asset: Rangers most valuable player Lee Wallace (right) could still be sold

The possibility of a key asset such as Lee Wallace being sold remains open, but McCoist is adamant the decisions eventually taken by the chief executive could have far-reaching consequences for Rangers.

‘The fact there was nothing concrete coming out the first meeting would indicate the importance of the situation,’ said McCoist.

‘Graham is certainly fully aware how important the decisions made just now will be for the short, medium and long term.’

http://www.dailymail...pact-squad.html

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't mention whether this is a deferral, and he will be back on full salary when we reach the top division (I think I heard that somewhere, may be bollocks) - but nevertheless, it's a good move from McCoist, and I applaud him for it

I may not always agree with how he plays the team, but this is a step in the right direction from him - not as a manager, but for the club as a whole

One in the eye for those implying that he was deliberately stalling on it. They know who they are.

Ally could pay Rangers , and it still would not be good enough for some , no doubt more made up fact lies will be added by the usual suspects on the subject

Does this mean he works the second half of the season for effectively nothing or is it equivalent to half wages from now, in which case it would only be roughly a 25% reduction?

It means his yearly wage has halved, not 25% for 8 days of the month and 18% the rest