Walter Smith's top ten Rangers signings

1st_Jan_1994

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not old enough to remember his first spell, but getting Davie Weir on a free transfer is hard to beat from his second. He helped Bougherra and Cuellar to the best spells of their careers, and kept our defence solid for years.

The turnaround on getting Cuellar for £2.25m and selling him for closer to £8m, with the great season he had in between would probably be second. Then either Miller or Jelavic third.

We have generally made a good profit on our defenders.

Hutton (youth) - £9 million

Boumsong (free) - Around £7-8 million

Wilson (youth) - Around £4-5 million

TBH I think that was too low for Cuellar, he was so outstanding for us including on the way to a European final.

That's not Smith's fault though. I'm sure it was a release clause in his contract (The Spaniards love them) and it had to be matched for us to sell him.

I'm not even that mad at whoever drew up the contract (Bain?) - because, as was said at the time, how could they have known we were going to treble his value in a year?

That's not Smith's fault though. I'm sure it was a release clause in his contract (The Spaniards love them) and it had to be matched for us to sell him.

I'm not even that mad at whoever drew up the contract (Bain?) - because, as was said at the time, how could they have known we were going to treble his value in a year?

Was there a release clause? I remember Bain etc denying it although they were hardly strangers to lying.

There was definitely a release clause but to be honest we should have offered him a new contract during that season. Everyone could see big Cuellar was quality.

Alex Mcleish signed Prso and you have all missed one of the best players to play in the light blue......Trevor Stevens

Who is this player Trevor Stevens you talk about ?

I know a Trevor Steven who was signed by Souness.

or a Gary Stevens that was signed by Souness.

:thumbup:

Who is this player Trevor Stevens you talk about ?

I know a Trevor Steven who was signed by Souness.

or a Gary Stevens that was signed by Souness.

:thumbup:

Walter Smith bought Trevor back from Marseille though. Sold him for £5.5million and bought him back for less than £2.5 million.

Van vossen

I always liked Van Vossen, haunted by that miss at the Piggery but he could be excellent at times, scored an absolute belter at Rugby Park in 1996, round the keeper right out wide, sure he was near the by-line and whipped it right into the open goal, superb strike...anyone else remember it?

I always liked Van Vossen, haunted by that miss at the Piggery but he could be excellent at times, scored an absolute belter at Rugby Park in 1996, round the keeper right out wide, sure he was near the by-line and whipped it right into the open goal, superb strike...anyone else remember it?

Which miss . . . . He must have had about three that game ! Tbh , it wasn't just him - we missed some amount of sitters that game.

It was the biggest 1-0 doin we've ever given them that night .

yes, im sure gazza lobbed the goalie from 35yrds aswell

yes, im sure gazza lobbed the goalie from 35yrds aswell

don't think he did mate, well not for a goal anyway, I always remember Gazza rounding the keeper that game and I think he dummied it to send the defender on the line the wrong way but my mind could be playing tricks on me...Van Vossens strike that game was just utter class

don't think he did mate, well not for a goal anyway, I always remember Gazza rounding the keeper that game and I think he dummied it to send the defender on the line the wrong way but my mind could be playing tricks on me...Van Vossens strike that game was just utter class

that rings a bell but im sure someone lobbed the goalie for a goal, was it 5-2 in the end.

A post in the Bougherra thread got me thinking

From his two spells as manager - what's been his top 10 signings in your opinion?

Some of them pick themself's, others don't - but for me...

1- Laudrup

2- Gascoigne

3- Albertz

4- Hateley (or was that Souness? if so put McCall in there somewhere)

5- Goram

6- Weir

7- Amoruso

8- Bougherra

9- Cuellar

10- Durie

Jelavic ? I liked durie but Jelavic was better IMHO