Lee Wallace 900k bid rejected from Forest but holding out for 1.4 mill?

Boab

http://twitpic.com/dtp3jl

Daily Record back page

CASH-STRAPPED Rangers have knocked back a £900,000 windfall from Nottingham Forest for star man Lee Wallace.

Record Sport can reveal Ibrox chief executive Graham Wallace told the Championship side to come back with an improved fee of £1.4million if they wanted to secure the Scotland full-back.

But that hard-line stance backfired yesterday when Forest boss Billy Davies launched a move for another left-back.

Sources at the club expect that signing to be completed within the next 24 hours.

And they insist there is now no chance of Davies signing Wallace before Friday’s transfer deadline.

A Forest insider said: “Billy was keen on Wallace and the offer was close to £1m.

“When Rangers said they would only do business at £1.4m they effectively killed any deal stone dead. They may think they are playing hardball and Billy will be back but they are wrong.

“Forest won’t pay another penny for a player from Scottish football’s third tier.

“The manager has now moved for his second-choice target and that transfer is close to completion.”

Gers boss Ally McCoist will be delighted to hold on to his star man but many will question how the club can snub an offer for Wallace just days after asking the players to take a 15 per cent wage cut to help slash costs.

An Ibrox source said: “This is good news for Lee, who wants to stay, and for Ally who wants to keep hold of all the quality he can.

“It’s also a relief to know the club is not in such a bad way that it feels forced into accepting cut-price bids for its best players.

“But it begs the question, why was the idea of player wage cuts floated in the first place if the board can afford to turn down almost £1m?

“Is it any wonder if the players and manager are confused at what’s going on?”

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/football/football-transfer-news/rangers-boot-out-900k-nottingham-3087772

The suggestion that we are knocking back bids, says to me we are not as bad financially as some make out.

Hell the papers said we would need a chink of investment just to keep the lights on next month ( no laughing at the back), so if we can knock back almost a million quid then we IMO can't be as bad as is made out.

It's all paper talk right now anyway, I'll wait till something official gets said.

I've not been 'gutted' at a player leaving since King Carlos, but if Wallace goes I'll be sick!

He's said repeatadly he wants to stay, if this happens how can Rangers expect us to keep paying big money for ST's etc when we sell our big players?

WE ARE NOT A SELLING CLUB!

:anguish:

The suggestion that we are knocking back bids, says to me we are not as bad financially as some make out.

Hell the papers said we would need a chink of investment just to keep the lights on next month ( no laughing at the back), so if we can knock back almost a million quid then we IMO can't be as bad as is made out.

It's all paper talk right now anyway, I'll wait till something official gets said.

Does this mean we're not opening the B&F forum yet? :(

I've not been 'gutted' at a player leaving since King Carlos, but if Wallace goes I'll be sick!

He's said repeatadly he wants to stay, if this happens how can Rangers expect us to keep paying big money for ST's etc when we sell our big players?

No man is bigger than the club ffs

The problem with this is that saying it doesn't make it true. We are a selling club if the men in charge decide we are a selling club and as much as I hope i'm wrong I think Wallace will be away in the next couple of days unless he point blank refuses to leave.

Fact is, we need to be a selling club regardless of what league in Scotland we are in. That's just where we as a club are.