Gough and Rae back scheme to hand club's supporters power at Ibrox

North Rd

putting in £20 a month is a fair amount and everyone who does it wants to see it benefit our club,not saying fanownership is right or wrong but setting something up to get much needed cash into the club must be the most important at the moment,we could raise a shit load more a month than what hearts have so having millions in the bank can only be a good stepping stone,personally i would use it to buy players and pay there wages.

6 million plus each year being given through direct debit by the fans has gotta help,might even get dave king motivated to put in some of his cash :pipe:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that when the committee is set up that it will be all professional people involved and that they will be identified at a later date and will be independent of the people involved with setting up the scheme. If my information is correct then I feel you can't really argue with that.

Yeah that's what happens at the majority of clubs with this model. It's certainly the case with a lot of clubs in the Bundesliga. If this sort of scheme is to get off the ground it needs to be free of the baggage of similar schemes. I have my doubts that this will happen but it's certainly should be an avenue that needs to be explored.

When it goes tits up at herts, what one of their fans is going to stand up and take responsibility. I might be wrong but once the finance is raised to buy the club how many of their fans are going to keep putting in every week to pay the overheads, it just cant be run just from sales of their players as this will keep the team underachieving, and winning nothing their fans will start to drift away till they're back in admin. Personally I am a bit sceptical that fan ownership is the way forward for our club.

Are they fan owned?

81 per cent of Bayern is owned by the supporters. Adidas and Audi own 9.1 per cent each with the rest of the shareholding is taken up by minor investors. They operate the same way as many other Bundesliga clubs with the fans owning a majority shareholding with big business or wealthy investors taking the remaining shares.

81 per cent of Bayern is owned by the supporters. Adidas and Audi own 9.1 per cent each with the rest of the shareholding is taken up by minor investors. They operate the same way as many other Bundesliga clubs with the fans owning a majority shareholding with big business or wealthy investors taking the remaining shares.

OK, so we have one. Any advance on one?

Almost all Bundesliga clubs, apart from Wolfsburg and Leverkusen are fan-owned using the 50+1 model. Benfica, Athletic Bilbao, Barca and Real are members clubs; the Feyenoord supporters saved their club and now own it.

It's not uncommon on the continent so I don't see why we shouldn't explore such an option. We saved the club from going to the wall in the first place so it's important that we do get a say in the way the club is run.

Unfortunately I think the only way this will succeed is if certain groups and/or people leave their egos at the door and I can't see that happening.

There are examples when this type of model hasn't worked but I would say there are a lot more examples of clubs who have went down the long road with one man at the helm.

Is Bayern Munich a big enough success story?

important to note that "Fanownership" is a generic term and both means and works many different ways.

To suggest that Fanownership works just one way is like saying that all PLC's work the same way.

Fanownership is not a panacea but in the world of the Ltd Co or PLC football club where transparency and engagemnet between boards and Fans (the fans that remember pay the bills one way or another) is at a premium then this is one way in which this can be sorted.

At the end of the day fans care more about success than about corporate governance, but when the day does come that Corporate Governance is important it is surely good to know that fans can actually get at the truth and genuinely impact the furture

What happens to Real Madrid and Barca held up as examples of fan ownership if financial doping rules are ever enforced ?

Fanownership is not a panacea.

Barcelona and Real fans are able to know what their Clubs have been doing and if it all falls down around them then that is the way it goes, but how much do any other Fans of normal Ltd Co or PLC's know what is going on with the finances, and would it be better if Fans did know so they could have a say?

When it goes tits up at herts, what one of their fans is going to stand up and take responsibility. I might be wrong but once the finance is raised to buy the club how many of their fans are going to keep putting in every week to pay the overheads, it just cant be run just from sales of their players as this will keep the team underachieving, and winning nothing their fans will start to drift away till they're back in admin. Personally I am a bit sceptical that fan ownership is the way forward for our club.

Hearts will need to be run as a break even football Club the way that companies and FFP would have it done

All Clubs in Germany , excpt some ex Works team, all Clubs in Sweden and all Clubs in Turkey as for example at least 50plus1% owned by the supporters in various Fanownership models

I think the meeting on Friday will perhaps show that there is a lot more open to us than simple fan ownership. It isn't all about owning shares - it is about how Rangers are run and how investment is used. I'm a shareholder but I'd be happy to make a monthly commitment - but only if I could see how it was going to be used. The concept of fan involvement is more appropriate in my eyes. This is how things are going in Germany (arguably the leading lights now in European football), Scandanavia and more and more countries - I want to understand it and see how it might work for us.

Almost all Bundesliga clubs, apart from Wolfsburg and Leverkusen are fan-owned using the 50+1 model. Benfica, Athletic Bilbao, Barca and Real are members clubs; the Feyenoord supporters saved their club and now own it.

It's not uncommon on the continent so I don't see why we shouldn't explore such an option. We saved the club from going to the wall in the first place so it's important that we do get a say in the way the club is run.

Unfortunately I think the only way this will succeed is if certain groups and/or people leave their egos at the door and I can't see that happening.

There are examples when this type of model hasn't worked but I would say there are a lot more examples of clubs who have went down the long road with one man at the helm.

OK, so we've established that there are (some) clubs out there that have fan ownership and are successful. What model do they use for success? Are the successful ones doing something that the rest aren't? How is a fan owned Rangers going to generate vast sums of money apart from through membership fees? Will a fan owned Rangers be able to compete with a Dermot Desmond (or equivalent) backed Celtic?