PSV Eindhoven 2 Rangers 3 (1978)

My first ever Rangers game .......... god I feel old. I f I remember correctly we had just won the treble and Ally McLeod didn't play any of the Rangers team in the opening world cup matches. Derek Johnstone was on fire that year with Gordon Smith. We were the best team in the country at the time.

My first ever Rangers game .......... god I feel old. I f I remember correctly we had just won the treble and Ally McLeod didn't play any of the Rangers team in the opening world cup matches. Derek Johnstone was on fire that year with Gordon Smith. We were the best team in the country at the time.

Yes, Johnstone scored in both home internationals, then dropped for England game and the world cup. We would have been world champions if he had played....

I had moved to england and the game was a minor game there

So the only chance of listening was to tune into radio scotland on a transitor radio

and walk roundthe bedroom trying to get some sort of communication signal

on my wee radio and it was the same for the barcelona 72 win.

That is what supporting your team is all about the extreme,s in adversity

to actually watch our team on screen is a luxury.

We pulled off a fantasic result that the fans made a song about it

We,ve just been to the Zunder Zee

Eindhoven 2 - Rangers 3

how many goals did wee doddy score with a wee through ball from tommy mclean,i was 11 that year and loved that rangers team that done the two trebles

Tommy McLean was way underrated as a team player. The number of times he took the ball and had to wait for other players to catch up with him was incredible. Remember him one time at Firhill taking the ball and just stood looking at the space inside and waiting for the inside forward to catch up 2 or 3 seconds later before passing. (It may have been Ally Scott who he was waiting for though, if I recall correctly).

My first ever away game in Europe, pretty sure I went on the Clarkston bus and met some characters (Garry Lynch, Big Alan (Big tall guy, think he was in the Black Skull), Dougie etc) that I'll remember for the rest of my days. Went to Cologne on the Tradeston bus and it was mental, especially a guy called Monty................. Top guy & funny as fuck.

Tommy McLean was way underrated as a team player. The number of times he took the ball and had to wait for other players to catch up with him was incredible. Remember him one time at Firhill taking the ball and just stood looking at the space inside and waiting for the inside forward to catch up 2 or 3 seconds later before passing. (It may have been Ally Scott who he was waiting for though, if I recall correctly).

derek johnstone often credits tommy mclean for a lot of the goals he scored,his crosses were absolutely pinpoint

Have heard a lot of older bears saying we should of won the european cup that year.

Can remember the Juventus (they were probably the best in Europe at the time) and PSV games vividly (even though it was 0-0), was in the centenary stand both times, so demand for tickets must have been high, but cant remember next round where Cologne knocked us out.

Was at the game at Ibrox, At our local youth club that night ,we were all Rangers supporters,and inbetween playing fives,we had the radio on not expecting much,then bedlam.....brilliant memories..all going mental,,i was 15 years old and remember it like yesterday.Thats what supporting this magical club is all about,Well done to the OP for highlighting this.WATP. :beer1:

I was in the Centenary stand for the Juventus game too, amazing atmosphere. Was in the old ceptic end for the Cologne game.......................................Pretty sure big Tan Forsyth was through on goal within the first minute or so.................Totally gutted when we went out................Really thought we'd win it that year and was hoping for Forest in the final.

Have mentioned numerous times on here that beating Juventus after being behind 0-1 from the first leg,was Rangers best EVER result in Europe.Six of that Juve side went on to win the next World Cup.Best night I have ever attended at Ibrox, as a 16 year old it was just magical.