PSV Eindhoven 2 Rangers 3 (1978)

Remember waiting for it to come on , on Sportscene that night without knowing the score. What a performance , particularly after drawing the first leg at Ibrox and the quality of the opposition. Still think to this day it's been our best away European performance.

And yes , to a previous poster , it was a great chance of winning the European Cup. Not so much after that result , but after only getting beat by the then favourites Cologne 1-0 away in the first leg of the Quarter Final , we were really on form at that stage of the season - almost unbeatable . Really thought we would have overturned that in the second leg had it not been for snow !

Remember waiting for it to come on , on Sportscene that night without knowing the score. What a performance , particularly after drawing the first leg at Ibrox and the quality of the opposition. Still think to this day it's been our best away European performance.

And yes , to a previous poster , it was a great chance of winning the European Cup. Not so much after that result , but after only getting beat by the then favourites Cologne 1-0 away in the first leg of the Quarter Final , we were really on form at that stage of the season - almost unbeatable . Really thought we would have overturned that in the second leg had it not been for snow !

the snow and playing billy urqhaurt up front

My first ever away game in Europe, pretty sure I went on the Clarkston bus and met some characters (Garry Lynch, Big Alan (Big tall guy, think he was in the Black Skull), Dougie etc) that I'll remember for the rest of my days. Went to Cologne on the Tradeston bus and it was mental, especially a guy called Monty................. Top guy & funny as fuck.

Must've met you that trip mate. I was with Garry Lynch the whole 4days. Great performance from Rangers that night . Seems like yesterday.

the snow and playing billy urqhaurt up front

Was he playing ? Or Martin Henderson - always mix the two up !

Seem to recall DJ was injured / suspended which didn't help.

But strange as it seems I thought the snow was the factor. Call it schoolboy enthusiasm - but I was so confident of winning on the Wednesday that when it was postponed because of snow to be played the next night , that confidence was replaced with apprehension.

Was only 13 at the time, remember the bus leaving from a hotel on a big roundabout and the 12hr stop in London on the way back. There was another guy, Alan (70/s shoulder length hair & moustache, sold loyalist badges at Ibrox) who I remember from that trip as well.

Was only 13 at the time, remember the bus leaving from a hotel on a big roundabout and the 12hr stop in London on the way back. There was another guy, Alan (70/s shoulder length hair & moustache, sold loyalist badges at Ibrox) who I remember from that trip as well.

The sands of time & the joys of alcohol make bygone days of following Rangers a blurred memory knowing that you were probably at games but you can't remember fk all about them.

Was he playing ? Or Martin Henderson - always mix the two up !

Seem to recall DJ was injured / suspended which didn't help.

But strange as it seems I thought the snow was the factor. Call it schoolboy enthusiasm - but I was so confident of winning on the Wednesday that when it was postponed because of snow to be played the next night , that confidence was replaced with apprehension.

aye you're right mate wasn't ideal preparation playing 24 later but the whole winter was a stinker and think that took the sharpness off us

My father was at this game. He got me a football signed by the team. He met them in the airport and they obliged.

Special memories.

I love it when things like this get posted on here. Always brings back great memories! It is too easy to forget how many wonderful memories Rangers have provided.

Bobby Russell was just a fantastic player for us - cost us virtually nothing when he came from Shettleston (?) Juniors and went straight into the first team and just belonged there from day 1. Over his Rangers career he linked so well first with Tommy McLean and Derek Johnstone then later with Davie Cooper. That game in Eindhoven and that goal in particular was tremendous but who can forget how uncapped Bobby completely dominated Ally McLeod's Scotland midfield in John Greig's testimonial at Ibrox just before Scotland went to Atgentina World Cup in 78?! He destroyed them and played a huge part in our 5 goal demolition of them yet he wasn't even in the original squad of 40!