John Greig Rangers through and through.

Don't worry John is still with us.

I had the pleasure of watching Rangers Greatest Ever Player ply his trade on the park battling against the most productive

Celtic side in their entire history and yet still lead a defiant Rangers to many glories.

I then had to endure the terrible times when John took over as manager and threatened his very status as time moved on.

It's important to realise that Rangers 1972 European hero Captain John Greig was actually abused by the fans who adored him

as a player and then suddenly turned on him as a manager. That's football.

John Greig's position in football will never be questioned simply because he was an example to the game itself.

The only reason I'm posting this is because I think Ally McCoist is finding himself in a rather similar situation...

Am I comparing John with Ally? No.(and yes)

John didn't cut it as a manager but his disgraceful exit didn't affect his stature as a Rangers man, Ally is on the same road right now, albeit in different circumstances.

Just like John he may well get boo'ed out the gates like 'The Greatest Ever Ranger' did, but Ally will still be a hero to us.

I would rather see Ally 'chuck it' before he gets abused.

I had the pleasure of watching Rangers Greatest Ever Player ply his trade on the park battling against the most productive

Celtic side in their entire history and yet still lead a defiant Rangers to many glories.

I then had to endure the terrible times when John took over as manager and threatened his very status as time moved on.

It's important to realise that Rangers 1972 European hero Captain John Greig was actually abused by the fans who adored him

John Greig's position in football will never be questioned simply because he was an example to the game itself.

The only reason I'm posting this is because I think Ally McCoist is finding himself in a rather similar situation...

John didn't cut it as a manager but his disgraceful exit didn't affect his stature as a Rangers man, Ally is on the same road right now, albeit in different circumstances.

Just like John he may well get boo'ed out the gates like 'The Greatest Ever Ranger' did, but Ally will still be a hero to us.

I think that's a fair assessment.

Well said.

We're not the type to turn on our own, and like Greig was a crap manager (which while I wasn't alive to live through I can imagine was quite tough to watch as you have compared with Ally), he is still remembered as a hero of a player, and that is what counts at the end of the day.

It takes a big man to admit he isn't cut out for a job he loves to do, and hopefully McCoist the manager will resign and we can go back to remembering Ally the legend

Never thought it would come to this but the club and its ex players and ex managers, and the ridicule they are getting through media sites etc....is quite frankly disgusting.....and from some of our own...I really cannot get my head round this,fck sake we are where we are ....not because of the playing side...this was and still is caused because of the total and utter contempt that the greedy basturds behind the scenes treat us.......

Never thought it would come to this but the club and its ex players and ex managers, and the ridicule they are getting through media sites etc....is quite frankly disgusting.....and from some of our own...I really cannot get my head round this,fck sake we are where we are ....not because of the playing side...this was and still is caused because of the total and utter contempt that the greedy basturds behind the scenes treat us.......

Spot on. We all knew the journey up would be tough, and sadly we are seeing it all this week. Many fans on here need to get back to the reality of our situation.

John Greig was and will always be the best - His stint as manager wasnt not his fault he hadnt done it before

Ally unfortunately but has won two titles so our former hero has ally ahead . :mccoist:

John Greig though has captained his club to its greatest ever victory in europe

and his picture on the runway in spain is iconic.

Great ambassador for the club (moshni should ask for tips )

You know something?

I couldn't get into the Rangers end in a game at Ibrox v that lot and ended up having to watch the game among them at the old away end but that seemed to be the way it was back then.

In my faded memory I remember standing in the 'Celtic end' at Ibrox watching our lads leading 2-1 and them claiming for a penalty and the ref said 'free kick' to us big John took the pass from one of ours and ran up the park unchallenged and what seemed like an eternity slipped it inside to (cant remember) and the forward made it 3-1 - honestly in those days drink was allowed in and everything rained down, bottles hitting their own fans and such...I escaped with a forced disappointment look of my face, joyous inside...Christ I remember having to contain my joy many times because I couldn't get into our end. Great memories.

Spot on. We all knew the journey up would be tough, and sadly we are seeing it all this week. Many fans on here need to get back to the reality of our situation.

Have to admit some of the abuse Ally is getting is OTT , however there comes a time when you have to realise this isn't working. And it's not working now.

In the last couple of year we've been in the lower leagues of Scottish football . We've signed some of the top players of Premier division teams and to be honest , that difference in quality hasn't shown. I see very little improvement now as to when we kicked off last season against Peterhead.

John Greig and Jock Wallace are two of my biggest idols , still are , but if truth be told it didn't work out for them either ( JWs second spell ) and quite rightly we moved on. In fact , I'm old enough to remember JW first spell where we got beat away to the sheep , and then at home to hivs in the first two games of the season and fans were chanting Wallace must go ! The next game , away to Thistle we won 4-0 and week after that we beat the tims 3-2 at Ibrox after being 2-0 down. He turned it around in those two weeks and we went on to win the treble that year. Well I've been hoping for Ally to do the same for two years now , never mind two weeks , and there comes a point when you realise it's just not going to happen.

Apologies for babbling on before I get to bed ! But my point is , as much as JG and JW were my idols, Rangers have to come first and , sad though it was , it was the right decision to move them on. I think Ally's time has come to do the same.

I have never understood why any bear could stand amongst that mob. Even if I was desperate for a ticket I could never stand with them. I would have been done In or jailed in 2 minutes,

You're a young bloke, aye?

I had to stand at the tim end at Hampden in '69 seeing my team get slaughtered in a cup final because I couldn't get a ticket for the Rangers end...it was like that back then even though that mob were winning everything, it was like that all the time.

It's somehow different nowadays...I wouldn't stand among them I can watch it on telly.

Ally McCoist in my eyes is the worst Manager in our history and I was there in late 70s and early eightees and lost a championship in OF game .The guy may have been a hero as a player but I don't recognise him as that now .Without being as abusive I get tired hearing ever piece if shite that comes out of his mouth .He has to go and go fucking sharpish .

You're a young bloke, aye?

I had to stand at the tim end at Hampden in '69 seeing my team get slaughtered in a cup final because I couldn't get a ticket for the Rangers end...it was like that back then even though that mob were winning everything, it was like that all the time.

It's somehow different nowadays...I wouldn't stand among them I can watch it on telly.

1st April 1989 and there am I standing amongst 50 odd thousand mhanks watching my team at the old piggery with my Rangers scarf in my pocket watching us beat them for the first time in almost 10 years in that pigsty of a joint.

Goals by Kevin Drinkell and Ian Ferguson with a 25 yard rocket of a free kick (although Ally claimed it) had me almost in danger of being ripped apart, but I survived it to tell the tale and it was worth every bit of it.

John Greig was and will always be the best - His stint as manager wasnt not his fault he hadnt done it before

Ally unfortunately but has won two titles so our former hero has ally ahead . :mccoist:

John Greig though has captained his club to its greatest ever victory in europe

and his picture on the runway in spain is iconic.

Great ambassador for the club (moshni should ask for tips )

John Greig managed the team in the top league though. Ally's team is facing sparks and plumbers every week.

Greig also took us to the quarter finals of the European Cup in his first season after hanging up his boots. Plus he knew how to win domestic cup competitions, two Scottish Cups and two League Cups.

Definitely not the worst manager we've had. (tu)

I often wonder if Ally himself is suffering from 'Souness syndrome'. As we all know Ally spent sges on the bench under Souness. He did not let it effect him as a player and maintained his self-belief. His ability and his nose for goals never deserted him.

Ally the manager still embodies that same defiant, 'I am better than you think' self-belief that he needed under Souness. Unlike Ally the player that belief is not backed up by ability. He does not posses managerial ability, he does not have a 'nose for a player, he cannot motivate and he is tactically inept.

So Ally the self-belief you maintain will not carry you through this and for the sake of the club you should walk away, now.

I'm old enough to remember Ham'n'Egg, we had some embarrassing results towards the end of his stint. A lot of the players, that played with Greig, were coming to the end of their playing career, & I remember fans arguing about who should be gotten rid of, & who should stay. The support turned on Greig, & it took a wee while before he was spoken of in a good way again. I'm seeing history repeating itself with Ally. He's gone through something which no other manager has been through at Rangers, he's had a torrid time of it, with all the goings on off the park, however, he should be judged solely on results/performances on the park. If you judge on purely results, then he must stay, but if like me, you judge on our performances, then he should walk away...

John Greig managed the team in the top league though. Ally's team is facing sparks and plumbers every week.

Greig also took us to the quarter finals of the European Cup in his first season after hanging up his boots. Plus he knew how to win domestic cup competitions, two Scottish Cups and two League Cups.

Definitely not the worst manager we've had. (tu)

This

I challenge anyone to watch that PSV game and say that John Greigs team played shite football.

It's a very good comparison. Greig left, let's say it was a gentlemens agreement.

Yes, he failed as a manager but in the fullness of time his legendary status remained unharmed.

It will be the same for a sky as long as be doesn't stick his nose in the trough.

He's made enough money off the club and should do the honourable thing.

People seem to forget or are too young and therefore unaware that Greig managed us at a time when all our funds were put in to the building of the new stands. He managed us with one hand tied behind his back yet still produced silverware and two of our greatest European results - Juventus and PSV. McCoist is not in the same league as Greig ...

John greig although not successful in the league at least won domestic cup finals and had two great European results against juventus and Psv

With players coming to the end of their career. and with no funds as we were also rebuilding ibrox at the time and had a lot more about him than super ally does.i hope ally does the right thing and resigns at the end of the season as he has held us back long enough.

the player he slipped it to to score was willie Henderson, - I was there

No it wasn't ,Greig scored the goal after defender blocked shot shot from Bobby Russell.i was there. btw Henderson wasn't at the club,it was in 1978