Ally Not Keen On CFOO Role

Ally being reported as saying he's not keen on the Chief Football Operating Officer having the ability to decide on signings and choosing players. While i do understand his point i think it may be what's needed given Allys patchy record on signings and will take some pressure off him (assuming he stays manager) Ally also says he thinks Graham Wallace has been totally honest with him and says he can understand why some supporters are undecided about renewals.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps that's the plan from Wallace? Cynical maybe but as others have said recently, maybe the least messy way of getting Ally to resign without the disgrace of being sacked by the club he loves.

It would be cynical but McCoist is more than capable of being cynical himself.

I do hope it's the first signs of our management changing

You can't blame him for being unhappy about it as most managers would be.

Director of football I've never seen work here.

But I agree he need to stop spending money on shite so it may help. If he doesn't like it then resign.

It works all over Europe in fairness, always seems to be an issue in British football though

Ally being reported as saying he's not keen on the Chief Football Operating Officer having the ability to decide on signings and choosing players. While i do understand his point i think it may be what's needed given Allys patchy record on signings and will take some pressure off him (assuming he stays manager) Ally also says he thinks Graham Wallace has been totally honest with him and says he can understand why some supporters are undecided about renewals.

Link to quotes?

It works all over Europe in fairness, always seems to be an issue in British football though

A lot of continental ones don't have much sway over first team affairs and often are more focused on the youth development and scouting side. Manager almost always has final station signings etc,.

As much as I think having someone in this role could be a good thing for us. It would no doubt create problems as well. How many times have we read reports of this scenario happening at clubs - manager wants a player, director of football signs a different player, manager doesn't rate the player so doesn't use him and before you know it there's a rift between the 2 and one of them (usually the manager) heads for the exit.

If McCoist doesn't want someone in the role then I'd rather the board either grew a pair and sacked him or decided against the idea completely. I'm not a fan of trying to make him unhappy to the point that he walks, as some are suggesting this appointment might do.

McCoist would be doing the right thing by going, fans boycotting is not right however

In your opinion maybe. However, judging by the procession of chief execs who have failed/refused to sack him then I guess they disagree. By my count I make it 4 now that have chosen to to relieve him of his duties.

If people choose not to renew season tickets that is entirely up to them. It's, imo, neither right or wrong. However given that some sections are calling for those involved with the UoF or backing king to be banned from Ibrox then their fears about the clubs cash flow can't be that bad.

nobody pays the fans 825k to do fuck all

No instead the fans pay to piss and whine about almost every aspect of our club. I keep seeing it said that football is 'entertainment'. Can you name any other form of entertainment where 'customers' complain incessantly about the product but continue to pour money in?

The club don't pay McCoist 825k either...

Perhaps that's the plan from Wallace? Cynical maybe but as others have said recently, maybe the least messy way of getting Ally to resign without the disgrace of being sacked by the club he loves.

It's obvious that none of the boardroom in the last two years knew anything about football, apart from CG, they need someone to tell them at their level what is happening, the worst case scenario is Walter Smith being chosen, then you can forget your football revolution for good.

We cannot afford another tier of football management (or a PR man for that matter) when we still don't have a bloody scout.

At this rate Ally will still have that senior partner/old hand/DoF/CFOO to refer to when he retires.

He has had to stand on his own two feet for two years and he has been found sadly lacking - achieved no more than any other manager we have faced in third and fourth tiers would have achieved. Horsed in the cups and promotion won primarily through superior fitness telling late on.

If this is a cunning ploy by Wallace (Ally leaves "I can't work under these conditions...") then he has earned a whole new level of respect from me.

Sadly, I think not.

The board aren't really in a position to tell anyone they're not doing their job well.

They should be coming together and working out a long term footballing strategy. Then set out a list of accountabilities going forward.

Appointing someone else without a plan is pointless.