Rangers boss Ally McCoist set to move for freed West Brom playmaker Scott Allan

Rangers boss Ally McCoist set to move for freed West Brom playmaker Scott Allan

THE Scotland Under 21 international burst onto the scene at Dundee United three years ago but struggled to make an impact at West Brom after moving south.

Scott Allan in action for Scotland U21s

ALLY McCoist is ready to crank up his interest in freed West Brom playmaker Scott Allan.

The Rangers manager is a long-time admirer of the former Dundee United kid who was released on Monday.

Allan, a Scotland Under-21 star, was tipped for stardom after bursting on the scene at Tannadice as a 19-year-old.

The Baggies signed on a two-and-a-half year contract in January 2012 and enjoyed a successful loan spell at Portsmouth.

But last year he was farmed out to Championship outfit Birmingham on a season-long deal – and made just seven appearances.

McCoist now wants to bring Allan to Ibrox on a free after missing out on him due to financial restraints at Ibrox two years ago.

Allan is looking for a fresh challenge and despite interest from several top-flight Scottish clubs, Record Sport understands he’s keen on a switch to the team he grew up supporting.

Meanwhile, McCoist is still confident of securing a two-year deal for Kenny Miller. The former Scotland frontman left Vancouver last month and has an agreement with McCoist to return to Ibrox for a third spell.

But out-of-contract St Mirren midfielder Kenny McLean will not join Rangers.

Check out our team of Scottish free agents who have been told they are free to find new clubs this summer..

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

would not be adverse to this if the likes of Hutton were to move on. Stepping up to playing 1st team football will be hard though for someone that usually only tickles double figures a season.

Allan would be a vast improvement on our shoddy midfield (bar MacLeod).

He'd walk into our team if he plays to potential.

Miller is a no brainer and again, even at 34 is head and shoulders above Little or anyone else on their way out.

As soon as Cribari's contract expires you'll see Miller in.

Scott Allan is a talented player but his attitude has always been in question from when he broke through so you have to ask, is this the right signing? Should we not instead invest in our own young midfielders like Macleod, Murdoch and telfer?

As for miller.....I'm past the point of being surprised or angry about it and I accept that despite it being the completely wrong type of signing he is (even now) better than what we have and he will score goals...

I hope we sign him, he's yet another player who's career was almost ruined by Dundee United's obsession that he go down south instead of to Rangers (like Goodwillie). Gauld, Souttar and Armstrong will be the next crop to be forced down south and forgotten about.

I hope we sign him, he's yet another player who's career was almost ruined by Dundee United's obsession that he go down south instead of to Rangers (like Goodwillie). Gauld, Souttar and Armstrong will be the next crop to be forced down south and forgotten about.

:lol: I know we all hate Dundee utd but let's be honest....his attitude at united was the first problem and it seems that hasn't improved with time!

Allan has done nothing to deserve the hype he receives.

Probably a fair comment.

However he's got a fair bit of talent and is still young enough to improve, the kind of player I think we should be targetting IMO.

He's fell away since he left United (chased the £ instead of progressing his game) so hopefully now he wants to prove something.

Scott Allan is exactly the type of player we should be targeting he is young hungry with a point to prove and being a supporter of the the club is an added bonus too...he is miles ahead of the midfielders we have ..we now need a centre backs(hopefully Hutcheson) and Kris Boyd to add to Miller and i would be pleased with our squad

Probably a fair comment.

However he's got a fair bit of talent and is still young enough to improve, the kind of player I think we should be targetting IMO.

He's fell away since he left United (chased the £ instead of progressing his game) so hopefully now he wants to prove something.

On paper he's an ideal signing, but if he has a questions attitude you also have to wonder how he's going to manage to deal with the pressure of playing for Rangers and the level of publicity that it brings you if he's already got attitude problems.

Hopefully he's past all that now and he's ready to screw the nut.

On paper he's an ideal signing, but if he has a questions attitude you also have to wonder how he's going to manage to deal with the pressure of playing for Rangers and the level of publicity that it brings you if he's already got attitude problems.

Hopefully he's past all that now and he's ready to screw the nut.

Hopefully.

I think the fact he's on a free takes a bit of the risk factor away, at least we are not spending big if he doesnt really work for us.

This move IF it happens will be make or break for him in terms of where his career is headed, maybe playing for his 'team' can get the best out of him.

Because his manager this season basically hinted that his poor attitude is why he has barely played this season.

Probably thought since he was at a Prem club he had the right to play at a championship club and didn't put the work in on the training pitch.

Looks like he learned the hard way.

I don't remember his attitude being reported on when at United, I guess he thought he made it when West Brom bought him.