5 hours ago, cushynumber said:

Murray is the second seed at Roland Garros for the first time and he has avoided both nine-time French champion Rafael Nadal who is seeded third and world number one and top seed Novak Djokovic - who are now scheduled for a blockbusting semi-final, should they progress.

Should the draw follow the seedings, Murray would meet fifth seed Kei Nishikori in the quarter-final and defending champion Stan Wawrinka in the last four.

He has got the right side of the draw in my opinion. He knows he can beat Nishikori and Stan seems to be struggling this year. He is 31 right enough which is the age you just start to imperceptibly slow down.

Realistically, he just needed to stay away from Nadal in the draw, and he did - result!

Just now, cushynumber said:

Murray has a genuine chance of winning this.

I think so too. Last week was a massive victory, which should have given him the confidence to win in Paris. A nice long five setter for Djokovic and Nadal in the semi, if they both get there, might do the trick.

1 hour ago, dummiesoot said:

The problem is that Stan is so unbelievably unpredictable it depends which Stan turns up, has to two slams, the same as Andy yet has a relatively poor record in non-slams.

Aye but one of them was essentially a walkover against a non injured Nadal.  Stan is 31 and won't win another.

18 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Aye but one of them was essentially a walkover against a non injured Nadal.  Stan is 31 and won't win another.

He still beat Novak last year. He is still very dangerous.

I would think so Cushy, but Stan is an out and out enigma. If his serve and backhand work he can beat anyone in the world.

Andy's clay form is excellent though and I do expect him to make the final. Beat Novak once there? Yeah why not. I don't think Rafael can last two weeks anymore. Even when Andy beat him a few weeks back, Rafa's fitness did not look the best and that was only three sets.

On 5/22/2016 at 3:11 PM, KingKirk said:

when os Andy on troops?

Be 2017 unless the French sort their scheduling out.

Realistically though very difficult to say if it keeps raining. Some of today's matches have already been postponed.

1 minute ago, KingKirk said:

stepanek is such a cunt of a player does everything good constantly

He's really not all that, there's a reason he's been playing challengers the whole year. Murray has, for some reason, started playing really passive, 6ft behind the baseline tennis.

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

He's played all the recent big tournaments, Rome, Madrid and Barcelona! Murray beat him 2-1 in Madrid.

Murray 4/7, woeful odds!

Went through qualifying at all three to get there, other than that his he's been meh all year. He's always been a big game player though, always raised it for the masters and slams.

Did he not randomly take Djokovic to 5 sets in Wimbledon fairly recently or something? Very awkward first round opponent to get.

Hopefully despite the delay I hope Andy remains back in control of the match and finishes it off quickly.

16 hours ago, AyeReadyStu said:

The really annoying this here is, if he does end up coming through this, it's not good for his chances of winning the whole thing.

Wouldn't worry too much about that. If you're gonna have a five setter before the final, do it in the first round. So long as he gets through his second round quickly he'll be fine.