Our first year back...

In the top division do we have a good enough squad to win the league first time of asking?

If yes, why?

If not, why?

I dont believe we can as things stand.

Other than wallace, mcleod, templeton and possibly law and clark we need almost an entire squad to put state aid saville fc in their rightful place. I just dont see how we can achieve it without investment and a fresh managerial approach.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I don't think we are anywhere near yet. We are stepping in the right direction though.

I don't think even half our 1st team are good enough to sustain a title challenge in the top flight.

There are 4 separate windows where we can make changes to the squad, so a lot can happen between now and then. but based purely on the current squad, no.

As it stands now? no.

We need (at least) £5m worth of investment in players to reach a consistent level of challenging, and maybe another £5m to bring us quality to see us grind out wins we'd otherwise depend on to pip them to the title.

It's not impossible but it'll come in time.

not a chance only Bell, Mohsni, Wallace Law, Templeton, Boyd and obviously a few youngsters would get a game in our squad before the financial trouble began and none of them other than Wallace would be good enough for a start.

I have to disagree with mohsni, he would be nowhere near our 2011/12 squad imo.

Who would have thought the team we had in January 2007, leaking goals everywhere and with confidence at rock bottom, would be in a European finals 16 months later. Things can change very quickly in football.

One things for certain, there will be a team in the east end of Glasgow who will be under unbelievable pressure from their own fans to prevent us winning the league again. That would be their absolute worst nightmare, they would never live it down. Pressure like that can be hard to handle, we know that from the '10 in a row' season. I wouldn't rule us out just yet.

Vast majority believe we are not good enough.

How do we fix this as 2nd to those bastards is not an option.

We get scouts in the door ASAP, get a system running and spend the next months extensively scouting the players we need to push for the title.

We then spend as little as possible, while getting as much benefit from the players as possible.

One good thing is we will not have a bloated squad on long term deals, that we can't shift on when we really need to. Most of the guys we signed for the lower leagues have contracts that run out either at the end of the coming season,or at worst the end of the following season. We have some of our youths tied up on long term deals which is also good for the future.

We have a good few players in the squad that are of an age where they will be hitting their peak over the next few years. If that peak is good enough, only time will tell.

I think the squad could do with somewhere in the region of 10 million spent on it, and a further 4-5 million put aside for a good scouting system, youth setup.

Without over spending, and running the risk of maybe ending up right back in the shit, I think we would need a fair bit of luck to win on our first crack back at it.

I think this squad would finish 2nd in the spl as it stands,.I hope when we get back there we'd have fresh investment to strengthen the team.

I hate to say it but short of spending excessively, we need to realise that paedo mob have been banking a few years of CL and spl monies and at the moment they can pay better wages.

It may take us more than 1 season in spl to get back to full strength.ST will go up in price and if we have a successful ipo there could be money available to get some quality players.

I can feel another 'Ally bashing' thread coming on.

Don't start me !

Definetly not, i believe ally deserves a year as our manager without off field troubles.

Ally is a football manager and should concentrate on that . A bit strong , I agree , but we've had other managers that have had to deal with problems - Big Eck comes to mind where we had to downgrade after Advocaats big spending spree and he just got on with it , while winning trophies.

As for your point, and as much folk want to tippy toe round it , it is my view we would struggle to make the top 6 while Ally is in charge.

Quite simply , other than Aluko , his signings have performed better for other managers than they have for him. One or two I can understand , but so many premier league standard players ? That's no coincidence , and we have to look at the common denominator - which is the management.

As an older bear ( and I've said this on numerous threads ) I look back when Souness came as manager and we hadn't won the league for nearly a decade. The perception is he ' bought ' the league. And while he bought Butcher , Woods and later Roberts - what people fail to realise is that the backbone of that team was Munro , McPherson , Ferguson , Durrant , McMinn , Fleck , Cooper and McCoist - all players that JW had. Souness had the ability to give these players a winning mentality - something that they relied upon in years to come and served us well. As far as I've witnessed Ally hasn't managed that , and while I think we'll win next season's championship I think we'll struggle in the top league.

You did ask !

I am in hope that we can get back to the top league

The other story is that the persons that tried to destroy this club

havent won and have to realise good try - but failed !