Manager can handle it.

bawsburst

Evening Times

Home > Rangers

Boyd says McCoist can handle latest Rangers crisis

Published on 9 September 2014

Chris Jack

KRIS BOYD is confident Ally McCoist will continue to handle the latest Ibrox crisis to guide Rangers back to the big time.

The Light Blues' future is once again in serious doubt as the under-fire board struggle to make ends meet in the face of a severe cash shortage.

McCoist has been the figure for fans to rally round during their climb through the lower leagues - and Boyd has backed his boss to continue leading from the front in the face of increasing adversity.

He said: "Over the past few years looking at what the manager has had to deal with, it can't have been enjoyable when you see some of the things which have been said and done.

"It's not been enjoyable for a Rangers fan reading it, never mind someone with the stature the manager has at the club. When you start reading a few things, you can take them personally and it's difficult to deal with.

"If there is any man who has the drive and determination to do it, it's the manager. He's shown that over the past two or three years he will continue to do what he does and continue to strive to make the team better.

"He'll be the first to admit he would have liked to have been on the training field more with the players over the past couple of years, but circumstances have dictated what has gone on.

"I'm sure he'll be looking forward to getting through this problem, getting this team on the pitch winning games and getting the club back to the top where it belongs and deserves to be."

As Rangers' financial troubles continue to take their toll, things are looking brighter on the park as McCoist's side set their sights on the Championship title.

McCoist was unhappy with the timing of Charles Green's outburst in the hours prior to the second-tier opener against Hearts last month.

And Boyd insists the Ibrox squad won't let the latest round of headlines affect their promotion push.

He said: "It would be unfair for me to comment because I don't know what it was like the time before with administration.

"I don't know how the players reacted then, but for me I'll continue to do what I do.

"I'll train hard, go into the games and try to get results for this club. The only thing that's putting a smile on the face of the fans is the players going out there and putting on a performance.

"It gives you a break from reading about the club on the front and back pages. For us, as players, the most important thing is to get in the team, train to stay in the team.

"It gives the manager the kind of headache he wants to have. If everyone at the club does that, hopefully we can pull this round."

Rangers return to Championship action against Raith Rovers on Friday night as the domestic campaign picks up after the international break.

The Euro 2016 double-header against Georgia and Poland is next month and Boyd is keen to get himself back into a Dark Blue shirt.

He said: "For me the most important thing right now is to continue in the Rangers jersey scoring goals.

"I've said it on numerous occasions and I'd be lying if I sat here and said I wasn't looking to get back in a Scotland jersey.

"The next one is at Ibrox and it would be a special occasion to play there with Scotland.

"But we've got other problems to get on the pitch and play and win games for Rangers, that's our main aim right now."

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice words but it's Ally's job to concentrate on the team on the park, he would have a right to feel hard done by if he wasn't backed in the transfer market.

You wouldn't know we were skint looking at the squad, so we're not buying any excuses, should they come.

(tu)

He's failed us so far so he better not use any of what's happening as an excuse for any more red necks that come our way.

Hat doff to Chris Jack a well written article. I agree with what Kris Boyd said in that article, not many managers have had the circumstances he's had Imo, I think Ally is making steady progress as a manager, he's a much better manager now than he was when we were dropped to 3 div. He doesn't always get things right but what manager does? I can see Ally becoming a great manager in the future with what he has experience over the last 3 years under his belt, Alex Ferguson was an average manager when he first started out, Ally has the same passion as him for consistently looking for improvement.

I don't agree with all this 'Ally out' stuff, it was started by the daily record, and grew arms and legs, certain journalists love it when they noise the fans up with that phrase, it sell their papers, enhances their reputation has a writer. They troll through our forums, looking at the responses I don't think the journalist trolls should be fed, they should move over and let non biased writers take their place.

Hat doff to Chris Jack a well written article. I agree with what Kris Boyd said in that article, not many managers have had the circumstances he's had Imo, I think Ally is making steady progress as a manager, he's a much better manager now than he was when we were dropped to 3 div. He doesn't always get things right but what manager does? I can see Ally becoming a great manager in the future with what he has experience over the last 3 years under his belt, Alex Ferguson was an average manager when he first started out, Ally has the same passion as him for consistently looking for improvement.

I don't agree with all this 'Ally out' stuff, it was started by the daily record, and grew arms and legs, certain journalists love it when they noise the fans up with that phrase, it sell their papers, enhances their reputation has a writer. They troll through our forums, looking at the responses I don't think the journalist trolls should be fed, they should move over and let non biased writers take their place.

I would hazard a guess one of the reasons we are down 15,000 is due to McCoist and the progress we have made under him , watching pish after pish week in week out and the fans have had enough. He has been here long enough now and nothing is changing due to his inept Management and needing a cheque book to assemble a prima dona team to play in the bottom leagues of Scottish Football. McCoist is part of the problem. But hey nice words from Kris...

I would hazard a guess one of the reasons we are down 15,000 is due to McCoist and the progress we have made under him , watching pish after pish week in week out and the fans have had enough. He has been here long enough now and nothing is changing due to his inept Management and needing a cheque book to assemble a prima dona team to play in the bottom leagues of Scottish Football. McCoist is part of the problem. But hey nice words from Kris...

Yeah coz he should have turned the youth into mini-messi's and brought the cream of the lower divisions into the club and moulded them into a team that could march through the divisions without anyone getting into our half of the pitch. Then he should've ramped up the training and coaching again and won the SPFL at the first time of asking and charged forward into Europe.

Meanwhile, in the real world.....

I think Ally is making steady progress as a manager, he's a much better manager now than he was when we were dropped to 3 div. He doesn't always get things right but what manager does? I can see Ally becoming a great manager in the future with what he has experience over the last 3 years under his belt, Alex Ferguson was an average manager when he first started out, Ally has the same passion as him for consistently looking for improvement.

Are people honestly still writing stuff like this.

Yeah coz he should have turned the youth into mini-messi's and brought the cream of the lower divisions into the club and moulded them into a team that could march through the divisions without anyone getting into our half of the pitch. Then he should've ramped up the training and coaching again and won the SPFL at the first time of asking and charged forward into Europe.

Seriously..... :lol:

:lol:

He should have done a far better job than the red neck he's made of it s far

That 's your opinion, I can see the progress he's made, we were damaged severely by the SFA/SPL punishment, a blow like that takes time to heal, money will always be spent to keep the company going first. I think there are several reasons people didn't buy their season tickets other than as you say...

'pish football'.
  1. No Credit card facility
  2. People couldn't afford the ST price due to the rise in price
  3. People didn't want to lose their money if rumours about the clubs finances were true
  4. negative press story damaging the club
  5. ST boycot

Yawn. Do we still have posters like this?

The main problem is that McCoist has spent a relative fortune assembling this squad, but there's really only two or three players in this team that are anywhere close to what we need to compete should we get into the SPFL.

MacLeod, Bell and Wallace and the only three players I'd hang my hat on to perform to anything close to what we require. All that money spent, yet it'll take another shit-load of cash to get us competitive.

That's poor management by anyone's standards. There should have been a core of young lads (not many, 3-5 perhaps) gently progressed through the team over the last two years. They didn't need to be starters, but perhaps first choice back-ups meaning that we didn't need to buy Shiels, Foster, Stevie Smith, Ian Black etc.

No-one is saying they're world-beaters, but by god, we certainly haven't given many the development time required to get close to it. Anyone looking at taking us over will be aware of this - christ knows how we'll cost to buy outright, but it'll be another £5m-£8m to get us competitive.

Our style could be more pleasing on the eye, I agree.

What else?

Never mind the style what about being laughed out the easiest cup in the land....twice?

Then it's the annual beatings from shite teams at Ibrox..

It's not just the performance that the issue here...it's the fact the man bottles the big occasions.

He's not good enough for a club like ours.

Never mind the style what about being laughed out the easiest cup in the land....twice?

Then it's the annual beatings from shite teams at Ibrox..

It's not just the performance that the issue here...it's the fact the man bottles the big occasions.

He's not good enough for a club like ours.

Agreed.

His apparent lack of grasp on our financial situation is also a worry - we're losing £600,000 a month through the scum on our board and he still think he needs to bring in a third choice goalkeeper when we already have five in total at the club.

It'll hurt some people to admit it and, to an extent, he's only spending what he's told he can, but McCoist is as guilty as anyone for the haemmoraging of cash at Ibrox.

Agreed.

His apparent lack of grasp on our financial situation is also a worry - we're losing £600,000 a month through the scum on our board and he still think he needs to bring in a third choice goalkeeper when we already have five in total at the club.

It'll hurt some people to admit it and, to an extent, he's only spending what he's told he can, but McCoist is as guilty as anyone for the haemmoraging of cash at Ibrox.

(tu)

Agreed.

While I agree Ally has been well overpaid the financial problems have nothing to do with him.

SFL div 3 player budget was £6,000,000 the non player budget was £12,000,000. What football club on earth spends double the amount of money on executive pay compared to it's playing staff?

Guessing we've probably spent well over £20,000,000 on bonus money and wages for the boardroom in the last two years.

As for this season the club should have set a budget depending on the amount of income it had projected and stuck to it that's the CEO's job not the football managers.

While I agree Ally has been well overpaid the financial problems have nothing to do with him.

SFL div 3 player budget was £6,000,000 the non player budget was £12,000,000. What football club on earth spends double the amount of money on executive pay compared to it's playing staff?

Guessing we've probably spent well over £20,000,000 on bonus money and wages for the boardroom in the last two years.

As for this season the club should have set a budget depending on the amount of income it had projected and stuck to it that's the CEO's job not the football managers.

Again, McCoist has to take the initiative a little more for me.

He knows we're in a bit of financial strife, yet he's pedalled the old 'I don't know what's happening' line on many an occasion. As a man that I'm sure has the best interests of the club at heart, I'd expect him to be at the door of the spivs for an answer.

He smacks a little of being their 'Yes' man, if I'm being honest. Even if he couldn't get a straight answer, perhaps a little more caution should have been displayed in the transfer market before lumbering us with a £7m annual wage bill.

Yawn. Do we still have posters like this?

The main problem is that McCoist has spent a relative fortune assembling this squad, but there's really only two or three players in this team that are anywhere close to what we need to compete should we get into the SPFL.

MacLeod, Bell and Wallace and the only three players I'd hang my hat on to perform to anything close to what we require. All that money spent, yet it'll take another shit-load of cash to get us competitive.

That's poor management by anyone's standards. There should have been a core of young lads (not many, 3-5 perhaps) gently progressed through the team over the last two years. They didn't need to be starters, but perhaps first choice back-ups meaning that we didn't need to buy Shiels, Foster, Stevie Smith, Ian Black etc.

No-one is saying they're world-beaters, but by god, we certainly haven't given many the development time required to get close to it. Anyone looking at taking us over will be aware of this - christ knows how we'll cost to buy outright, but it'll be another £5m-£8m to get us competitive.

Yawn, yes you do still have posters like me because there's posters like you who still live in this fantasy land where you believe we've had the raw material youngsters that could be "developed" into top quality Rangers players (3 - 5 you reckon) capable of challenging at the top of the Scottish game - incidently, it's not something we've ever really been good at, so why do you expect it now?

You also seem to believe we should have been bringing in other players capable of doing similar as we progressed through the leagues. Who are these players, where do they come from, and if they really are around, do you think Rangers (in the bowels of Scottish football) would be the only ones to identify it (with what scouting system??). And how much would we have had to pay to get them to come here if we did...bearing in mind the biggest carrot we had (OF games and European exposure is denied to us for three years...at least). Just what could we offer, except a high wage?? We were never ever going to be able to bring in enough players of the quality required for a Rangers team to challenge at the top.

What we got was what I personally expected, a bunch of average Joe SPL type players on inflated salaries to get us through the divisions; players who would never normally get near us but could be trusted to do a job.

Now, I'm not an Ally fan as a manager, I don't like his style of play and I think he's too loyal to some players. But I recognise the restrictions he's been placed under (from finance to concerted attacks and campaigns trying to trip us up and destroy us at every turn) are like no other Rangers manager in history and, for the moment, he's achieving the number one priority for me, that is back to the top division in the shortest time possible.

Again, McCoist has to take the initiative a little more for me.

He knows we're in a bit of financial strife, yet he's pedalled the old 'I don't know what's happening' line on many an occasion. As a man that I'm sure has the best interests of the club at heart, I'd expect him to be at the door of the spivs for an answer.

He smacks a little of being their 'Yes' man, if I'm being honest. Even if he couldn't get a straight answer, perhaps a little more caution should have been displayed in the transfer market before lumbering us with a £7m annual wage bill.

If you look at some of the quotes from Ally over the last few months he mentions more than a few times that GW had told him he can sign more players if he wants and that the club had money to do this for me that's Wallace's fault not Ally's.

If Rangers bring in £20,000,000 of income this season we should not be spending £21,000,000 our CEO should have set a budget and stuck to it not tell the manager one thing then say something else to the press.

Hearts seem to be doing ok with kids and a few experienced players. Off the back of admin and demotion they are top of the league, playing well, managed to beat us but are operating on a fraction of our player payroll. Early days yet and their small squad may affect them longer term with injuries and suspensions,( as evidenced by their cup team selection and loss) but so far they deserve to be where they are.

No reason why their team couldn't have won the bottom two leagues like we did, and for much less again than we did.

We have frittered money on players we didn't have to. And that is a huge factor in why we are where we are.

Edit: A more current argument than the Gretna, QOS one that many wish not to consider.