Rangers 'fan' writes about George Square

eskbankloyal

Interesting piece. As a Rangers supporter who voted no, there are quite a lot In it I would not take issue with. However, there are a couple of things.

It's quite a long article for an ordinary fan to be given by a national newspaper. I'm assuming the guy is a rank and file fan because I've never heard or seen him before in connection with Rangers or anything else. So why has he been selected by the Record, what's so special about this guy over hundreds of others that he has been given this amount of space to air his views.

I and I assume many Rangers fans would have been willing to write a similar piece condemning hooliganism, particularly where it related to idiots blackening the name of our club. However, before making any such judgements, I would have liked not unreasonably to have been given a more balanced, less biased account of the events of last Friday than has up to now been presented by the Scottish media. If then, there was reason to condemn I would certainly not hold my punches.

Thing is though, I don't think the Record would be interested in my view. Don't think they would be to keen on someone trying to get the truth of what went on last Friday rather than take it at face value, theirs. But most of all, they wouldn't be interested in my view because I'm a no voter. That wouldn't fit into the stereotype they are trying to project of the average Rangers supporter and on which the 'fan' who wrote the article seems only to happy to oblige. He's ok though, he's one of the enlightened few, why he's a yes voter - the article makes that clear from the outset.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's the country of my birth, I know about the club, it's history and I care about the clubs future. And the sooner there is no politics and no religion tied to the club - the better! Oh and I voted 'yes' and yes I'm gutted that we lost but what the fuck that has to so with being a rangers supporter - mind you there are a good number of Internet bullies on here that will mump and moan that somehow in nor a real supporter - to them I say 'up yours' to me the club is enough on its own, without any tie ons, political, religious or unionist branding- and the same can't be said for those who need those attachments!

I think you missed the point and my follow up post. I have no issue with your personal opinion but it seems you have a problem with mine. I care about the club and I abhor the way a radical section of the Yes Campaign has sought to demonise a majority of fans. They don't care that you voted Yes, you're a Rangers fan and tarred with the same brush as the rest of us by them. I find it hard to believe you would write a piece like that for the DR.

Have I ever subjected you to abuse or told you you're not welcome? It was a Motherwell fan who first pointed out to me the nasty Republican undertone of the Yes campaign at the start of this nonsense, so its not just a section of Rangers fans who see through the weasel words of Salmond. Football is political in Glasgow but it wasn't Rangers fans that forced the issue. I'd like nothing better than to have a football rivalry based purely on the teams colours but its not been that way since 1888.

I'm not your traditional Rangers fan by any means but I know what sections of the MSM and those in the political arena who follow a different team have been up to. If the article had been balanced there would have been no argument from me. The poster I was replying to picked the wrong thread to make a point that, in part, I agree with. This was neither the time or place to make a post that started with a massive inaccuracy.

I think you missed the point and my follow up post. I have no issue with your personal opinion but it seems you have a problem with mine. I care about the club and I abhor the way a radical section of the Yes Campaign has sought to demonise a majority of fans. They don't care that you voted Yes, you're a Rangers fan and tarred with the same brush as the rest of us by them. I find it hard to believe you would write a piece like that for the DR.

Have I ever subjected you to abuse or told you you're not welcome? It was a Motherwell fan who first pointed out to me the nasty Republican undertone of the Yes campaign at the start of this nonsense, so its not just a section of Rangers fans who see through the weasel words of Salmond. Football is political in Glasgow but it wasn't Rangers fans that forced the issue. I'd like nothing better than to have a football rivalry based purely on the teams colours but its not been that way since 1888.

I'm not your traditional Rangers fan by any means but I know what sections of the MSM and those in the political arena who follow a different team have been up to. If the article had been balanced there would have been no argument from me. The poster I was replying to picked the wrong thread to make a point that, in part, I agree with. This was neither the time or place to make a post that started with a massive inaccuracy.

Hi Eagle

I'm guessing you'll be unable to get to Monday's game due to work?

Shame. You could have joined BP9 and I for a beer to discuss some Fund ideas. :D

Hi Eagle

I'm guessing you'll be unable to get to Monday's game due to work?

Shame. You could have joined BP9 and I for a beer to discuss some Fund ideas. :D

Unfortunately I'll be in Bangor (the Welsh one) on Monday. I think the next game I can get to is the end of next month. I'll happily buy you and BP9 a pint I think he just missed the point I was making about the demonisation of Rangers fans.

You know the Fund is the one thing that has bought a range of fans together for the good of the club which is no bad thing. I look forward to BP9s next contribution to Nicola Eagles Charity shop (almost a year old now) I may even explain the significance to him and we can bury the hatchet he appeared to be carrying.

Unfortunately I'll be in Bangor (the Welsh one) on Monday. I think the next game I can get to is the end of next month. I'll happily buy you and BP9 a pint I think he just missed the point I was making about the demonisation of Rangers fans.

You know the Fund is the one thing that has bought a range of fans together for the good of the club which is no bad thing. I look forward to BP9s next contribution to Nicola Eagles Charity shop (almost a year old now) I may even explain the significance to him and we can bury the hatchet he appeared to be carrying.

He may have missed the point due to your lack of double line breaks. I struggled! :D

Just cos you're on a phone doesn't mean you can be sloppy! :D

PS - more good news for Mrs Eagle's Rangers Charity Shop coming soon. (tu)

Tbh BP9 I am more disappointed with the language employed by this guy, jumping on a Bandwagon lead by Findlay, haggerty, et all, we don't need this shit as there is no evidence of 'carnage' it is just a pack of lies.

Yes I agree - the problem with forums seems to be you must take a corner - and a far corner at that - it ain't easy being a moderate

I suppose I picked your post to reply to the thread in general ( as well as you) - I actually hate the Rangers fans being linked to any political debate or position based purely on the fact we are Rangers fans -my point to you ( and others) is I am no less a Rangers fans because I support 'yes' than you - there are a lot of people on all sides sides who wish to associate Rangers with a political / religious / unionist view point and to me any such association weakens us and just purely 'loving'us as Rangers with no add-ons strengthens us!

I suppose I picked your post to reply to the thread in general ( as well as you) - I actually hate the Rangers fans being linked to any political debate or position based purely on the fact we are Rangers fans -my point to you ( and others) is I am no less a Rangers fans because I support 'yes' than you - there are a lot of people on all sides sides who wish to associate Rangers with a political / religious / unionist view point and to me any such association weakens us and just purely 'loving'us as Rangers with no add-ons strengthens us!

Yes, and double line breaks would help your argument too! :pipe:

The only people who should be banned from Ibrox are any Rangers fans who were involved in the 'Scumbaggery in the Square.'

Mr Wallace has his finger on the ban-trigger right now. Life ban for any lowlife bastards who want to act like this in a time when everyone wants to have a pop at us. You may as well be John Reid to defend these cretins.

A message to those cretins: Rangers don't want you.

spot on with this.

Again I never said you were less of a fan.

If you point out where I did you get a pack of peanuts with your pint.

If not you get a half and a union jack to wave at the game.

I can double space....

When I want to. :)

So if you're a Rangers fan you're not entitled to have a political view point?

Does the waving of the UF make you a Rangers fan (automatically)?

Ranger traditions have been built up over many years,should they now be scraped to appease the modern day panty wetters?

The YES campaign was rife with half truths and outright lies,even in defeat it continues.Has anyone seen fit to report the violence,bullying and burnings of the Union Flag?

I applaud all those Bears who voted NO,to reject the ideals of the tartan Sinn Fein. :7325::These colours don't run,WATP.

I wasn't referring to specific figures, I'm just not surprised considering the amount of bitter bastards in Glasgow that think the world owes them everything

I think the same. Glasgow is loaded with scrounging plastics. Like yourself I wasn't surprised with the vote outcome. I was more stunned to learn from bb theres only somethin like 30% of the blighters in Glasgow. Doesn't seem like it from here.