Rangers 'fan' writes about George Square

eskbankloyal

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If, and it is a big if, he is a Rangers fan then he should be banned from Ibrox.

Only a Rangers (club and fan) hater could write such an article with such an anti-Rangers rag.

It also begs the question of people promoting this line - if you hate the club's fans and traditions so much why do you support us because it surely can't be based on the football of the last few years?

Whilst we are better together as a United support we are nevertheless better without such apologists.

Rangers are, and always have been, an easy target and it is partly down to backstabbing so called Rangers fans who seem to relish tarnishing our reputation instead of defending the club and traditions.

To save the hits

Record FC Rangers: Its up to us to tackle the small-minded fans who continue to tarnish our club's great name

Sep 25, 2014 15:140 Comments

OPINION BY JONATHAN​MCFARLANE​

JONNY McFARLANE reflects on the recent referendum and explains how the immediate aftermath highlighted the darker side of his club's support.

Tweet

+1

Email

Police intervene as trouble breaks out in George Square

IT'S not been easy being an active Yes voting Rangers supporter over the past few months. Contrary to hasty perception this is not because of ignorance or abuse, quite the opposite. The difficulty has been debating informed and rational people with strong arguments.

While we disagreed passionately on the issue of Independence the banter was almost always respectful and intelligent.

And that’s not to say I’m alone in my views. Many fans also voted Yes alongside me, believing it to be the right thing for our country. It may have escaped many of the armchair pundits on social media but Rangers supporters are increasingly a broad church.

As a Scot it pained me to see the recent carnage in George Square, but to hear of the involvement of a large Rangers element sickened me to my core.

Sadly, the club seems to attract the attention of a small minority of deeply disaffected individuals who project their intellectual dysfunction onto our football club. They shame us time and again, trouble makers without care or consideration for the clubs reputation or its ability to present itself to the world.

These are men and women with seemingly little education and nowhere productive to channel a clear anger that manifests itself through heavy drinking and the darkest recesses of football tribalism.

Alongside my natural disgust, pity also looms large.

What other emotion could adequately describe individuals so dim-witted that they would deliver Nazi style salutes next to a war memorial, while celebrating the very union the dead fought to protect.

Too many amongst us dismiss this group as a minority and try to defend their behaviour with whataboutery and semantics. They describe the salutes as the sign of the red hand of Ulster but have no answer to how the public or police distinguish between the two.

The club has done extensive work to address those who choose to sully its name with sectarianism and it can’t be faulted for the actions of misguided hangers-on wearing the colours.

It weighs even heavier then, on us fans to come together to reject this flawed interpretation of our football club.

We must make it absolutely clear that it tarnishes the clubs, and by extension, our name. It’s time to take responsibility.

I support a modern, inclusive football team called Rangers that places no object to religion, race or nationality.

Politics and all the other baggage is white noise; don’t accept it, don’t make excuses and let’s declare with a collective voice; these people may wear our colours but THEY DO NOT SPEAK FOR US.

The NO voters really were the epitome of the silent majority.

The YES campaign were much more vocal and much more active on social media and their scumbag element (which was relatively substantial) tried their best to intimidate and bully people into voting for their point of view in a very close approximation of brownshirts in 1930's Germany.

So we in the Unionist side have people from the C2/D/E socio-economic groups in our camp. And these people express themselves physically as they are incapable of doing so mentally.

Even so, when it comes to thuggery, bullying, intimidation and Nazi-esque tactics, the seperatist Yes campaign are the worst culprits by a country mile.