Another wake up call ?

bawsburst

Defeat by Hibs was our 'wake-up call', says Rangers defender Foster

RANGERS right-back Richard Foster today claimed the heavy defeat to Hibs at Ibrox was "a wake-up call" for his side.

MatthewLindsay.jpg

Matthew Lindsay Sports Journalist

Monday 06/10/2014

25521836.jpg

Richard Foster feels it was important that Rangers bounced back to get the result they wanted on Saturday

Ally McCoist's team crashed to an embarrassing loss to the capital club in an SPFL Championship match at home last Monday night.

The shock result meant the Gers fell six points behind early pacesetters Hearts in the table.

But Foster, who wasn't involved in the match against the Hibs, feels it may be a turning point in the 2014/15 campaign.

Asked if the Hibs game could be a pivotal moment in the season, the defender said: "Possibly. It is still early in the season. We don't want to read too much into it.

"We didn't play well at all and Hibs were well worthy of their victory. It was a bit of wake-up call for us.

"We got back on track against Livingston at the weekend and will go into the international break in a more positive frame of mind."

The defender returned to the Rangers side at the Energy Asset Arena on Saturday and helped his side to a 1-0 triumph over Livingston.

The 29-year-old revealed that McCoist's squad had done some serious soul-searching after the Hibs result.

He said: "Monday was disappointing in more than one way. It was important to bounce back against Livingston on Saturday and I think we did that.

"In the first half in particular we played some good stuff at times. We hung on in the second half, but we got the result we wanted.

"Just because I didn't play in the game doesn't mean that I wasn't affected by what happened.

"It was a sore one to take for everyone. But you dust yourself down, get on with it and try to pick up three points in your next game.

"Luckily for us we did that against Livingston. Hopefully, we can continue to do that."

Hardly Foster's fault, but I guess the only way to be a Rangers fan these days is to despise everyone at the club.

More likely fans getting pissed off at players talking shite off the park and playing shite on it then saying the same stuff over and over again. How many wake up calls is that now yet the football never improves?

It's one thing hearing a wake up call - of which there have been many - and another thing ignoring it and laying there in a financially happy state of football slumber convincing yourself (as a squad) that it's no problem, there's plenty of time and that you'll still make the promotion bus.

And if you leave it late you risk running along with your shoe laces untied and trip up and miss the bus - which is a bit like the ragged state of football play we have been seeing.

If the Manager and squad have indeed heard a wake up call loud and clear then there needs to be more than just saying so - there needs to be a rise and shine. And shine here means shining on the football park with winning results and sparkling performances as betitting the capabilities of the team.

Or have they just dreamt that they've heard the wake up call and slipped snugly back into the football comfort zone of training and speaking like Tarzan at MP then playing like Jane on matchdays? The time for talking about wake up calls is long past - its time for rise and shine action.

Hardly Foster's fault, but I guess the only way to be a Rangers fan these days is to despise everyone at the club.

The commetns on here say it all.

Some haven't even read the interview and some jump straight in with abuse. Why bother posting if you have nothing sensible to add?

"Just because I didn't play in the game doesn't mean I wasn't affected by what happened"

It worries me that Foster felt the need to make that comment.

Of course he should have been affected because whether he played in the game or not is irrelevant - he is a Rangers player so it should go without saying that he was disappointed or angry at the result.

His comment reads to me like something an outsider would say, someone who doesn't really feel part of the Club.

Maybe there are others there who feel the same way - Law, Black, Templeton?

Foster wasn't on the pitch, you're right. But the players and the manager come out with this shite all the time. Hearts should have been the wake up call. Never felt so let down after that result. First day of the season, flag unfurling, Naming of the stand, full house. And for what? A shitebag performance.