Big Jock was not afforded due credit at Rangers

Bothwellbear

I am sure Rangers fans would have enjoyed the feature in Wednesday's Evening Times on Big Jock Wallace.

Derek_Johnstone_210x210.jpg

Derek Johnstone Football columnist

Friday 17/10/2014

0 Comments

Print

25614981.jpg

Derek Johnstone signs for Rangers as boss Jock Wallace looks on

It was a great read and brought back some really fond memories of a man and manager I admired so much and a really successful period for the club.

I loved everything about Big Jock. He played a huge part in my career, and those of so many players at Ibrox.

He was as hard as nails and he knew how to handle people.

If he could handle soldiers in Malaysia, he could handle players at Ibrox.

I loved the way he did things. But I don't think he ever got the credit he deserved.

We won Trebles and people said that we never played any football. That is very unfair on Jock and his management.

He was a man that demanded you gave 100% because people were paying good money to come and he was a real thinker about the game.

I can remember an Old Firm game at Ibrox and I was playing centre-half that day against big Shuggie Edvaldsson and he scored two goals.

I went in at half-time and Jock said, 'you, a ******* centre-half? Get yersel up front, you are kidding yourself on'.

We ended up winning 3-2. I went back in after the game and he said, 'I ******* told you, you are no a centre-half'.

If you did your job, fine. He wouldn't shout at you if you didn't win, as long as you were giving your all.

Hell mend you if you didn't play well, though. There were times we got a real rollicking.

We sat down and the only man that spoke was him. He got the best out of players.

Playing under Big Jock was a privilege and I know the fans who saw him and his side hold him in the highest regard.

Brilliant times,this is when i started going to games with big Jock at the helm.

Loved it when big Ted McMinn spoke about their time in Seville together.

They had been out one night but Ted went home early but he knew when Jock was arriving home as he could here him singing some Rangers tunes coming down the road.

A true Ranger in every sense of the word...

His time at Rangers was before my time, but hes one of the all time Rangers legends in my eyes, watched and read lots about him, he knew what it meant to be at Rangers FC, we greatly lack a man of his caliber. Sad how it ended with him and the way he was treated. Glad hes now known for the Legend he was.

See the photo in the OP, see the shadow of JW on the wall --- I wish that shadow was our manager now as 'it' would do a better job than McCoist.

What's McCoist got to do with anything?

First match I went to, Jock was the manager. We lost 3-2 at home to Ar-fuckin-broath!

Still a legend though.

Some of my best memories as a Rangers fan were during big Jocks treble winning days of the late 70s. I was only young but old enough to be filled with enormous pride as the whole ground would sing WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS. His second stint was not that succesful but he did bag a cup or two. The 3-2 skol cup final another unforgetable day this time fueled by Merrydown and I think we had cans of Skol (mugs) .

LEGEND.

long before my time i'm afraid, i suspect going by DJ's article that he is meaning not given enough credit by those outside our club, surely no bear especially from that era can have anything but respect and gratitude towards Jock Wallace, manager of 2 out of the 7 trebles in our history and part of the backroom team of our greatest moment, a true legend of our club

• 1 year later...
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2014 at 8:37 AM, Bothwellbear said:

I am sure Rangers fans would have enjoyed the feature in Wednesday's Evening Times on Big Jock Wallace.

Friday 17/10/2014

0 Comments

Print

25614981.jpg

It was a great read and brought back some really fond memories of a man and manager I admired so much and a really successful period for the club.

I loved everything about Big Jock. He played a huge part in my career, and those of so many players at Ibrox.

I loved the way he did things. But I don't think he ever got the credit he deserved.

We won Trebles and people said that we never played any football. That is very unfair on Jock and his management.

He was a man that demanded you gave 100% because people were paying good money to come and he was a real thinker about the game.

I can remember an Old Firm game at Ibrox and I was playing centre-half that day against big Shuggie Edvaldsson and he scored two goals.

I went in at half-time and Jock said, 'you, a ******* centre-half? Get yersel up front, you are kidding yourself on'.

We ended up winning 3-2. I went back in after the game and he said, 'I ******* told you, you are no a centre-half'.

If you did your job, fine. He wouldn't shout at you if you didn't win, as long as you were giving your all.

Hell mend you if you didn't play well, though. There were times we got a real rollicking.

We sat down and the only man that spoke was him. He got the best out of players.

Playing under Big Jock was a privilege and I know the fans who saw him and his side hold him in the highest regard.

bump

Went to a game v Morton in 84 (game after we played in Dublin) and asked Jock to autograph the programme for my younger brother. When told where we came from and what time we had to leave that morning he invited us inside the stadium and said he would get someone to show us around. Two minutes later Davie Cooper appears and says " The big man asked me to show you around" Spent 20 minutes in the company of my favourite player getting a tour of all the places we had read about or seen ended up in a room with the team who were having their lunch whilst watching Grandstand. Got every player to sign the programmes for my brother and his mate (they were 14 at the time and never said a word) before been given a key to the trophy room and told to "hand it in at the front door when your finished: Unbelievable gesture by Jock and one never forgotten by the luckiest three people in the country..

On 17/10/2014 at 8:37 AM, Bothwellbear said:

Friday 17/10/2014

0 Comments

Print

25614981.jpg

The man was a legend, I wonder what Big Jock would have made of the teams in the last 5 years, and what would he have done differently.

@club1872 Just an idea but there's plenty of space on the walls when you climb the stairs to the balconies, Maybe you could request the use of this space as info points so that fans with young children can learn about the players and managers of the past and how they helped to shape the club?

There doesn't seem to be much video of footage of the big man 

I can't get enough of him. 

He managed well before my time but I love watching him in the old videos.

even now before Celtic games I always watch his clip about getting the battle fever on