Temps, Alistair throws down the gauntlet.

bawsburst

McCoist challenge to Rangers wing ace Templeton

ALLY McCOIST has challenged David Templeton to prove he is worthy of a regular Rangers starting berth.

25793140.jpg

The winger came off the bench to net the final goal in the Light Blues' 3-0 win over Cowdenbeath on Tuesday night.

McCoist elected to go with Lewis Macleod and Steven Smith on the flanks as Templeton had to settle for a spot on the sidelines.

But the Gers boss knows the 25-year-old has what it takes to be regular feature.

McCoist said: "Temps has absolutely made a claim for a place. How he played against Cowdenbeath is what we're looking for from David.

"He gets up the park and takes people on and he's always got a goal in him - he's got two very good feet, two very quick feet and he's always very well placed.

"It was really pleasing to see him coming on and scoring. He was great and we know he's capable of that.

"All that we can ask of him is to put pressure on myself and the staff to give him a starting position."

Templeton was not the only midfielder to find the net at Central Park, with playmaker Nicky Law scoring just three minutes in.

And the Ibrox gaffer is pleased with the options he has available middle to front after another Championship success.

"I just felt the boys [Macleod and Smith] deserved another crack at it after putting in a solid performance against Dumbarton on Saturday," McCoist told rangers.co.uk.

"We have Temps who can come in on the left-hand side and now that young Airdy is out for a couple of weeks we need options - so at this moment in time we're very pleased that we've got one or two.

"Big Jon Daly came off the bench and was a real handful and had a couple of good headers and probably should have scored, so we've got one or two options up front too."

Don't think Ally ever forgave Temps partner for the Karaokegate picture on Twitter after the Raith Rovers fiasco! Wouldn't be surprised if he's shipped out at the next transfer window. Give him a few games to put him on show first tho'!

I was happy enough when we signed him, but I do think Templeton was always somewhat over rated by our support, mainly because he roasted Whittaker every time we played Hearts.

Most wingers are inconsistent to an extent, even more so when they are young, but at 25 he can't hide behind the excuse of youth any more and that leaves us with a player who should be coming into the peak of his career but instead he finds himself as nothing more than a squad player because he simply isn't consistent enough to start every week.

I also think he could be doing with bulking up a little bit. I'm by no means suggesting every player in our squad should be hulking hammer throwers who are benching twice their own body weight, but he's absolutely tiny and a bit more strength could help him no end.

I am not a fan of Temps, he has had his chances and isn't up to it. The player I am more concerned about is Nicky Clark, this boy should be an automatic pick ahead of Boyd and Daley but for some reason McCoist doesn't want to pick him. Aird is injured and Temps is a bit player, So why don't we bring Gallagher back from his loan spell as this kid has more talent than these two put together.

With Aird out for a wee while, Templeton should be starting. I'd give him a run until January and if he doesn't have it then punt him. Waste of time having him in the squad. I like Templeton but he only plays when it suits him and we can't stand for that.

Or what about when he signed for us he was potentially the best player at the club and a real star in the making.

Look at what managerial skills have done for him.

This is a bit of a whitewash of history. Templeton was always inconsistent. It was one of the main complaints from the Hearts fans. This potential to be the best player thing is just a stick that's been conjured up to hit McCoist with.

Surely an inconsistent Templeton is better than playing Stevie Smith, a poor left back at left midfield? Genuinely makes no sense to me at all.

If you watched the good early crosses Smith puts in you would then see the point of having him playing.