Incoming! Naismith interview.

OlegKuznetsov

Naismith: Rangers fans have been treated 'appallingly'

STEVEN NAISMITH reckons Rangers fans have been treated 'appallingly' as they have been put through the wringer in recent years.

25961739.jpg

Steven Naismith (right), Steven Whittaker and Kyle Lafferty (background) quit Gers two years ago

The Light Blue legions have had to contend with a mixture of emotions as their club has fallen from grace, but they have backed Ally McCoist's side in huge numbers throughout their recovery from financial meltdown.

Naismith joined the likes of Steven Whittaker, Allan McGregor and Kyle Lafferty in quitting Ibrox two years ago.

He has never been forgiven by many supporters for his controversial Ibrox departure.

But the Scotland star still has sympathy with the plight of his former club as they look to complete the last stage of their journey back to Scotland's top tier this term.

Naismith said: "Looking back, I would definitely have done some things differently. None of us wanted to leave that way. It wasn't nice at all. We did all we could.

"It wasn't deferred wages (we had). It was wage cuts, in the hope that we came out of administration and could move on. It didn't happen.

"It got to the point where there was not much else the players could do.

"People would have liked us to have stayed and transferred over, but it wasn't just as easy as doing that.

"In years to come people will understand it a bit more and understand it from the players' point of view a bit more.

"The fans always have their opinion and they are right to because they pay good money to come and watch. They are the backbone, especially of a club like Rangers.

"Over the last two or three years they have been treated appallingly.

"For everyone's sake, hopefully it gets better and they can get back in the division they deserve to be in challenging for trophies."

It is almost three years since financial problems hit home at Ibrox during Craig Whyte's disastrous reign, but Rangers remain in the money mire.

Cash problems continue to hold the club back and 10 members of staff were last week made redundant as huge losses look to be stemmed once again.

Fans are still furious at the state the Light Blues are in and have launched a series of attacks against the under-fire board as attendances have plummeted this term.

And Naismith is upset at the devastating series of events at his boyhood heroes.

He said: "It is disappointing and sad because it is the club I grew up supporting. I had some of my best memories in football there, but a situation arose that was out of everybody's hands.

"I think the fans and the good people at the club are still suffering. I hope they will come out of this situation they are in soon.

"It was a horrible decision for everyone involved to make. The biggest thing for us, as players, was that no-one was made redundant and we did that part of it. Over time, I am sure the truth will come out."

I really don't know what to make of that interview, but thought it was worth sharing. He does show some contrition and sympathy while contradicting, if not correcting, his earlier blasphemy.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a wierd one.

I cant really be bothered to hate the guys that walked away, they were never gonna stay and whatever money we got for them moving over through TUPE would have been wittled away anyway.

I dont really hold a grudge against any of them, but what Naismith said in that interview at the time was just wrong. Cant really have much sympathy for him for it. If I met him one day and he said he genuinely regretted it and called it wrong, well would probably say fair enough. judging folk from a distance can be easy when you dont know the full story.

The one thing I have to remind myself is that these guys were dealing with Green at the time. Back then i thought Green was a great guy, since then it has been revealed he was an absolute snake. Who knows what he did to put them in a difficult situation.

McGregor and the others I have already forgiven, Naismith and Whittiker, not so much, Lafferty I actively thank for leaving for free.

Has he ever apologised or retracted the sentiments of that awful press conference? I'm a forgiving guy and I loved Naismith as a player. He even seems like a genuinely decent guy off the park other than that abomination of an incident. Give us a proper explanation and apology Steven or don't bother talking about us.

Has he ever apologised or retracted the sentiments of that awful press conference? I'm a forgiving guy and I loved Naismith as a player. He even seems like a genuinely decent guy off the park other than that abomination of an incident. Give us a proper explanation and apology Steven or don't bother talking about us.

There is absolutely zero this rat could say that would change anyones mind.

At the point of the interview we were getting it from all sides, For him to come out one of our own and say that Rangers were no more was one of the biggest betrayals.

I realise he had to leave, we could not pay his wages, could he not just have left and kept his mouth shut.

My late Mum used to tell me that if I had nothing "Nice to Say" then I should keep my mouth shut....So...thank you to the posters who have summed up my feelings towards that poor mis-understood millionaire who used to play for us. Phew that was tough not going into a full on ballistic rant about "him". I must be getting better.... :thumbup: