Uefa say Rangers and Newcastle can't both be in Europe

trueblueal

There is absolutely nothing new in this, its always been the case and nothing will happen unless we actually were to qualify, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

There was some doubt over whether a Ashleys interest in us constituted a breach of the rules in terms of 'decisive influence' as he obviously doesn't gold a majority stake. Seems that had now been decided if the article is taken at face value

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle and Rangers will not be able to play in Europe together

So nothing really new but the Uof/SoS fannies are in panic mode. Does anyone know for certain when we'd be eligible for Europe. How would we qualify? If anyone mentions McCostalot winning a cup... :D

So once again much ado about nothing.

Taig media bringing this out when its utterly irrelevant at this point in time. Anything to be negative.

That being said, I dont really like the complete silence from MA, wish hed tell us something.

Not worried as I cannot see Newcastle entering Europe any time soon - sure, they're doing pretty okay now, but as usual they will soon dip down to mid-table and stay there.

But by the time it could pose a problem, I'm sure it won't be a problem and we would have thought ahead anyway.

Not worried as I cannot see Newcastle entering Europe any time soon - sure, they're doing pretty okay now, but as usual they will soon dip down to mid-table and stay there.

But by the time it could pose a problem, I'm sure it won't be a problem and we would have thought ahead anyway.

Nor will we with Mcoist in charge.

Newcastle's performance is commendable, but in my opinion, for them to get a European place every season would require them to over-perform, and at least 2 or 3 of the usual top-6 to *massively* and *consistently* under-perform.

I'm of the view that if any of the top-6 (Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham) underperforms (e.g., like Liverpool are doing at the moment), they will throw *extreme* amounts of of money at the problem and rectify it very quickly, which means that Newcastle will not get one of those first five places (1st to 4th get into the lucrative Champtions League, 5th get into the substantially less lucrative Europa League).

As I feared, Ashley has overstepped the boundaries by having a decisive influence over both us and Newcastle. If we make the Uefa at the same time as Newcastle we won't be entering the comp as it stands.

Has he?

All he has is a minor stake of under 10%, outstanding loans to the club, and two business colleagues, whom he only suggested to the board as useful, perhaps.

Maybe UEFA have jumped the gun on this one.

Maybe someone at the SFA told them it was indeed the case that he actually had a controlling interest in us. Did he or the Club confirm it to the SFA? I don't recall any such confirmation of that one or the other, so have the SFA said, right you've had enough time to respond, so we take it that he does have a controlling interest and will notify UEFA about it, so as to block one of Rangers or Newcastle from competing in the same year?

I think more information is required to make a judgement here, certainly for me.

I don't think either team will be in European competition next year. So long as we get the 3 years' accounts and get ourselves up a division I think we will be happy and not too bothered about Europe for another year.

I do hope to eventually see the big nights back at Ibrox but to be honest all I care about is the club surviving and getting back to normal so we can all relax and worry about normal things.