*** New Manager Discussion ***

coatbrigpirate

Why this obsession about him? What has he achieved?

Why is there an obsession with what a coach has achieved? He's a very highly regarded, forward thinking, progressive, modern football coach. He is exactly the kind of appointment we need to drag our club into the 21st century.

Are you implying he would be better suited to the other side of the city ?

I would agree he is destined for bigger things but would still make an offer.

I'm applying he looks like a wee boy and could potentially struggle to command respect of others (for example players). Purely an ungrounded observation by me. Arguably he looks more like a wee boy next to Nuno Espirito Santo.

Cathros top of my list. Purely because i think we need a coach of the future. With new ideas and methods.

We'll end up with Billy Davies or McCall.

Best we can hope for is McInnes, but dont know if we have the money to pay the sheep off.

what I like about Cathro is it would be thinking outside the box, I'm not saying McInnes and McCall would necessarily do a bad job but I look at them and think they'd be the typical Rangers targets for next Manager. Bringing in Cathro would be very unlike us and that's kind of why I'd like to see it happen in a way. I think if he's a success there's also the potential of a big profit if an English club comes sniffing aswell.

Could be special but I just don't see how he would be given the time to adopt his philosophies. PLG ?

PLG was shafted by Murray. Cathro would need the full support and backing of the board - they would need to have the testicular fortitude to show any players dissenting in the manner which Ferguson and the likes did the door.

"slight and quiet"

is this what were looking for in the next Rangers manager?

We're looking for someone who can build a foundation that this club can stand on for years to come, someone to drag our broken and backwards footballing ideals and philosophies into the modern era. A coach in the mould of Cathro, McInnes or Eddie Howe is the way to do it.

The clamour from some in our support for a Walter Smith or Jock Wallace clone is getting tedious. Football's changed. We had the perfect chance to change with it in Div 3 and McCoist blew it. It's now or never, or we'll be stuck in mediocrity for a long, long time.

Signing Cathro now would be the manager equivalent of going for a 15-16 year old Messi. If we wait until he is proven, he will be out of reach for us.

All the other names may be have more of a track record but they are proven to be good; and also proven that they not exceptional. Cathro could be exceptional, McCall, Davies and McInnes could not.

For every Messi there is a Freddy Adu but Cathro remains the only choice that 'could' take us to a different level on a budget.

Cathro seems to be the popular appointment with a lot of people but he's not the be all and end all.

As an example, Billy McKinlay, who is also mentioned in that Guardian article has never been spoken about as a potential candidate despite him being heavily involved in Fulham's youth set up (one of the best in England) when he worked there.

Don't get me wrong, Cathro is very intriguing, I've posted threads about him before, but the clamour and groundswell of support for him to the point where he seems to be most people's first choice, seems to have grown out of nothing and with very little to really back it up either.